MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena New to Knife Making? Here's all the help you need ...

Old 04-17-2018, 01:33 AM

Carbon Steel Knife VS Stainless Steel Knife

What advantage does carbon steel knife have over stainless-steel knife?
Which one would you prefer and why?
Old 04-17-2018, 06:43 AM

None - the "best" working knife has the proper edge geometry and heat treatment to do the job for which it is designed.
Stainless is much easier to maintain, which a lot of people like, especially in corrosive environments ie.=salt water and wetter conditions.
The better SS's are very fine blade material if processed correctly (above), but can be just knife shaped junk if not - same with hi-carb steels.
I prefer hi-carb because I enjoy forging my blades and these steels are better suited for smithing. SS can be forged but is highly problematic when it comes to the multiple thermal cycling that forging entails.
Everyone has their preference which makes knifemaking so much fun.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 5-J
Old 04-17-2018, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
In my opinion, carbon steels are far more versatile. If I choose to do so, I can create blades either via forging or stock removal. Carbon steel also offers more options when it comes to heat treating and hardness levels.....I can use various methods, and achieve a wider range of hardness levels, and not have to worry about a specific "target hardness" (the vast majority of stainless steels have a "target hardness" that if you miss during heat treat, the steel's performance is greatly hindered). Simple carbon steels are very easy to heat treat versus stainless steels..... basically with carbon steels all you need is some type of oil, a heat source, and a typical kitchen type oven to heat treat. With stainless, a programmable heat treat oven is pretty much a necessity.

I also find finishing easier with carbon steel, and it also offers the ability to apply a wider array of finishes.

Finally, when compared to stainless, carbon blades are much simpler/easier to sharpen and maintain, not only for the knifemaker, but also for the clients.

On the stainless side, the obvious advantage is the "stainless" qualities. Where as carbon steels will tarnish, rust, etc., stainless steels offer the end user very low maintenance requirements.

Beyond the "stainless" properties, I personally don't see any advantages with stainless....at least from the perspective of being a Knifemaker. Although I use some stainless steels, I use them for clients who demand that "stainless" quality... and frankly those clients are ones who's knowledge of knives overall, is somewhat limited.

All that being said, this is simply my opinion from 30+ years of Knifemaking/Bladesmithing. Whether a Knifemaker uses carbon or stainless steels will depend on a huge number of factors. What matters is that whatever the Maker chooses, they make the best product they are capable of making, and offer the highest level product to their clients.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com
"Nobody cares what you know.....until they know you care."
See me at table 2Q at the Blade Show!
Old 04-17-2018, 02:52 PM
Enthusiast

For me the choice to use stainless, is simply because of familiarity. In my professional career I was a maintenance tech, then transitioned into fabrication, then into medical device manufacturing, all revolved around stainless. Admittedly, 99.9% of my work was not with suitable steels for knife making, but I learned to grind, shape, and "read", the steels over that time, and then when I transitioned into medical devices, I added heat treatment of stainless steels and their accompanying metallurgy (extremely limited as it were). So when I got interested in knife making, I naturally gravitated toward stainless, specifically 440C, because it was the most comfortable option.
But, as Ed had already stated, there is a large investment to be made in time and equipment to properly process those steels. They do not lend themselves well to beginners, for that reason. And as Ed already stated there is not much if anything in the way of advantage to stainless steels, over carbon steels where knives are concerned.
Just my simple, humble and uneducated opinion.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:07 AM
Guru

I have to add a few things here for any newbies.

When I started making knives I used O1 tool steel I heat treated in a forge. Then I found out about Hinderliter Heat treating company nearby and they did the HT on my knives for like $110 for 10 lbs. Also they were very helpful and taught me a thing or two. So stainless, alloy tool steel or high carbon blades they helped me immensely.
It's nice to forge a knife, but to get the optimal performance a professional company like Peters or Hinderliter I believe still does knives in OKC, are hard to beat. If you can't afford a HT oven they are out there to give you what you need for optimal steel. Plus there are some makers that may be willing to teach you. Check out where you live and there are a few HT companies too you can find online.
I really like O1, D2 and S30V. They are all good steels. It comes down to where you're at and your money.

Last edited by jimmontg; 04-18-2018 at 02:15 AM. Reason: addition
Old 04-18-2018, 03:42 AM

Thank you all for sharing information, i myself was thinking about stainless steel, my reasons were others, or maybe i have not used carbon steel yet, so its like stainless steel is embedded in my brain.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:26 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I use both, but mostly stainless. Ed summed it up best I think. You get more flexibility in the HT with carbon and with stainless you get low maintenance. That may over simplify but that's the core of it. I use stainless because I like low maintenance and I have the equipment to do it right. But, carbon cuts differently and I like the patina as it ages and the toughness characteristics. Bottom line: don't limit yourself, if you have the means use whichever suits your current project the best....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old Yesterday, 04:09 AM
Guru

Location: putnam county NY ....about 45 mins north of new york city
Ok so neither are BEST they have different qualities so it depends on what your trying to do. My personal choice is stainless i can only speak from my own experience but when i started making knives i started with carbon steel just because only having a forge and not a heat treat oven carbon was the only steel i could heat treat. you cant do a heat treat on stainless in a forge....but i knew early on i wanted to use stainless so some of the first things i got was a oven as soon as i got that i found out yes some stainless can be done without a liquid nitrogen soak they all greatly benefit from it. at first i had liquid nitrogen from the local weld shop pour into a THICK Styrofoam cooler it evaporated in 24 hours so i had to have a batch of blades ready for it...then i bought my dewar to hold the liquid nitrogen now it lasts in there for 3-4 months....another thing iif you want to FORGE knives then stick to carbon i do all my work stock removal. Some times i work on collaboration knives with another knife maker he forges heat treats and rough grinds then i finish that is the only time i use carbon steel. I have tried many different stainless steel 440c, CPM S35VN, ELMAX, VANAX, AND NITRO V, but recently its been s35vn and a lil vanax Along with various stainless Damascus the 2 of those i like the most if i want a shiny mirror like finish on the Damascus damasteel is my favorite if i want a darker etch then i go with mike Norris's Damascus. stainless has its + and - just as carbon steel has what i would sugest is figure out what you like doing...a key thing would be forging vs stock removal if you want to forge use carbon....some stainless can be forge but not all and they are a pain! also you will need more equipment to work with stainless like a heat treat oven and liquid nitrogen...i would say try both and figure out what you like doing...most of us do this because we love it so find what YOU enjoy doing and stick with that it doesn't feel like work when your having fun....i have been making knives for a few years now and i tried EVERYTHING i could think of and had the equipment to do (Ray will verify that i usually am going in 10 different directions LOL) about 6 months ago i finially got up to making folders and well i enjoy that more than anything else so that's what i spend most of my time doing....try everything you can till you figure that out!
Old Yesterday, 11:06 PM
Steel Addict

Billy02, I make knives using 0-1, S30V stainless, D-2 semi stainless, and Damascus on special order. I cater to the big game crowd and my S30V hunting knives out sell the 0-1 carbon steel knives 15 to 1. Most hunters are the younger crowd and they want two things in their knives. A sharp edge that will allow them to field dress and skin out several animals and not stop to touch up the edge. They also prefer a knife that has low maintance.
My few sellers in 0-1 has been tactical knives to local law enforcement SWAT teams and older hunters who grew up using carbon steel knives and do not mind the extra care required.
You need to figure out the majority of your future clients will be and what they want in their knives.

Old Today, 01:03 AM

I prefer Stainless steel knife due to its pleasing features. Stainless steel is made of metals like aluminum or copper and 10 % chromium. this, metal alloy does not easily rust, stain or corrode, unlike ordinary steels. We do not have to use soap to clean our knives. Simply pour down water into the spotted area, then all the dirt will be removed easily.
Old Today, 08:04 AM
Guru

Location: putnam county NY ....about 45 mins north of new york city
that also depends on the finish as well
Old Today, 08:37 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

QUOTE: Stainless steel is made of metals like aluminum or copper and 10 % chromium

Actually, that is incorrect. Stainless steel does not contain any aluminum or copper. It is just regular ferric steel with 14% or more of chromium (by definition). Stainless also contains other alloying elements depending on which stainless you're talking about but never aluminum or copper....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old Today, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
QUOTE: Stainless steel is made of metals like aluminum or copper and 10 % chromium

Actually, that is incorrect. Stainless steel does not contain any aluminum or copper. It is just regular ferric steel with 14% or more of chromium (by definition). Stainless also contains other alloying elements depending on which stainless you're talking about but never aluminum or copper....
Well,, he doesn't use soap either, Ray...

Tags
blade, blades, ca, carbon, choose, easy, edge, forged, forging, heat, heat treatment, knife, knife making, knifemaker, knifemaking, knives, material, project, salt, simple, stainless, stainless steel, steel, stock removal, water