MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 04-24-2002, 01:01 PM
Eadams

12" Craftsman Drill press...good deal?

Hows this look. Its the best in my price range. AND on sale...I can use that with the Mrs...

www.sears.com/sr/product/...0921912000
Old 04-24-2002, 01:12 PM
P MOORE

To tell you the truth that 9" bench top with 3" vice for $99.00 does not look bad.
Old 04-24-2002, 01:17 PM
DracAmy

I have the 9". It's varible speed, ect and dispite the size differance they both only have a three inch throw or movement. I like mine for everything but using small (1/8" and less) bits.

Drac
Old 04-24-2002, 01:21 PM
P MOORE

why is that?
Old 04-24-2002, 01:24 PM
Eadams

size?

Wouldn't the 12" with bigger motor be better? Or is the 9" enough power?
Old 04-24-2002, 01:40 PM
P MOORE

Re: size?

I have never bogged my drill press down. If you do you will really have a problem. Most of the time you will be drilling any thing from .04 - 3/16" so ( I ) feel big horspower is not important. $.02
Old 04-24-2002, 01:57 PM
DracAmy

Re: size?

Paul,

If that "why is that" is why I don't like the drill for small bits, It's because it's chuck doesn't grab the bits well. When I'm drilling wood I use the bits with the hex tops same as used in power screw#######. When I drill small holes with cobalt bits they don't come with that hex top so it spins easier than bigger bits. I will be the first to admit that this is probably user error. I find it is alot easier to use dremal presses for small holes.

Drac
Old 04-24-2002, 02:56 PM
RickNJ

re

If you are going to buy the Sears 9" press beware. I bought that one and had to return it because of massive bearing noise and play in the spindle. They gladly exchanged it for another one which had the same problems. When I returned the second one I went to home depot and got the Ryobi $99 drill press. The Ryobi runs smoothe as a clock and I'm definitely happy with it.
Old 04-24-2002, 03:28 PM
Raymond Richard

Just my 2 cents worth. Why not buy a floor model. I've had various sizes of bench top drill presses and I wish now I would have gone with a floor model. I got the one at Home Depot and if I remember it was $299.00, believe it is a Rigid which is Home Depot's brand, plus they back it for life, I'm not sure who's. If its something you plan on using for along time its sure worth it and thats a good price plus a really good tool.....Ray
Old 04-25-2002, 11:36 AM
Sweany

It's all in the spindle play. everthing else is just iceing.

I got a 9" delta, sloppy spindle and 9" harbor freight good spindle I use the delta for making tools and stuff where holes don't matter as much and use the harbor freight for handles.

The harbor freight is a little underpowered but for $40.00......