MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:29 PM
Steel Addict

Sheath for a cocobolo hunter.

I finished this knife and sheath earlier this week. I am very new to the art and craft of leather. This is about my 4th attempt at a sheath and is definately my best to date. I am enjoying the leather part of knife making the more I do it. There are a lot of flaws in this sheath but I am starting to see that there may be hope for me yet. lol Please feel free to criticise away. I need it so that I can get better. Thanks for looking.

Oh ya. The knife is D2 scotchbrite finish, cocobolo scales with red liners and stainless steel pins and bolsters but the pins in the bolsters are nickle silver. That was a mistake I think I like and will probably do again.

Once again.. thanks for looking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1a.jpg (284.4 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 1b.jpg (379.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 1c.jpg (307.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 1d.jpg (294.2 KB, 54 views)
Old 10-01-2013, 10:57 PM
Steel Addict

Icho,

Not bad for a 4th attempt. I would invest in a quality basket stamp, you are not going to achieve the definition you need with the one you used. Also, you need to burnish your edges, sand to 220 grit, apply gum trath and then use a smooth bone or antler to rub and burnish. A couple of coats of pure neetsfoot oil will provide a nice color to that leather. My 2 cents

[IMG]Click for information...[/IMG]
http://bradjohnsonknives.blademakers.com/
Old 10-02-2013, 07:44 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks Brad. I appreciate the input. I did a bit of burnishing with the gum but I will try to take it a bit farther. I will also try out the neatsfoot oil since I do have it. About the stamp. Is it possible that it is me and not the stamp?
Old 10-02-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icho View Post
Thanks Brad. I appreciate the input. I did a bit of burnishing with the gum but I will try to take it a bit farther. I will also try out the neatsfoot oil since I do have it. About the stamp. Is it possible that it is me and not the stamp?
Your stamp is probably just fine. One of the secrets to leather carving is "casing" the leather. This involves moistening the leather with water and letting it dry slightly. I have carved/stamped leather that wasn't correctly cased and had similar results as your sheath. Here is a tutorial: http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/e...t-abc-pg2.aspx

Tags
antler, apply, art, bolsters, bone, carving, holster, hunter, knife, knife making, leather, leather die, leather tooling, making, pins, sand, scales, sheath, stainless, stainless steel, steel, tanning, tutorial