MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 06-30-2017, 06:59 AM
Skilled

Photobucket Ransom demand

It seems Photobucket is holding all my posted photos hostage claiming 3rd party hosting..whatever that is, the "upgrade" is $400! Any suggestions to avoid this?
Do you still see my photos in the threads? All I see is a pic to upgrade my account to enable 3rd party hosting.
Regards, Sam

Last edited by samg; 06-30-2017 at 07:17 AM.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:11 AM

Your pictures are no longer showing. Now just some gauge looking thing with the statement "Third party hosting is temporarily disabled".

Last edited by JE6245; 06-30-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:14 AM

Here's an explanation:

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/06/30/ph...hosted-images/

Pretty chicken-s#@$ in my opinion.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:51 AM
Skilled

Thanks Ron and JE6245. I will try to figure this out. It was crap that there was no prior warning....
Sam
Old 06-30-2017, 09:41 AM
Skilled

Thank you for letting us know. I have not seen this but I have already downloaded my entire library.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:12 AM
Skilled

Jeezzzzz.. I've spent hundreds of hours research supported by extensive picture documentation. I previously used a different host that abruptly shut down, forcing the laborious move of many pictures to photobucket. Now I'll have to move all those pictures and edit all the posts to accept the new site, with no guarantee that the new site will not eventually crater.

This is disgusting... I worried about it two days ago when I saw a small pop up title, "our terms of service have changed" when I logged on. I wonder what the legal alternatives are? You advertise "free," charge for ads, offer an "ad free" alternative, then when people entrust their life history, you change the terms. I could see it being legal if it were for all FUTURE pictures, after a warning.... but who is going to pony up money to test these people in court?
Old 06-30-2017, 10:30 AM
Administrator

You're welcome to upload them to the gallery here, then link them to your posts on other sites. Our gallery supports remote url calls.

Let me know if you want, or need help using it.

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 06-30-2017, 10:58 AM
Skilled

Alex, can they be uploaded all at once, or one at a time? I probably 600 of them on Photobucket.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:25 PM
Skilled

Jack I found another host that I downloaded the app on my smartphone. Its directupload.net. I first downloaded all my photos all at once from Photobucket back into my photo gallery, then because they are already sized correctly, I can pull from that.
Sam
Old 06-30-2017, 03:58 PM
Skilled

Are we sure this isn't a true ransomware attack and that the demand really does come from photobucket? I'm considering a class action... if they did this for FUTURE pictures, I can see it. But to encourage people to use this site and then after the fact hold them up for ransom...

Second. If I downloaded all my photos to a new site, assuming I could, I would then have to individually go into each of my old posts, many with historic research, and laboriously change each reference. That is going to hurt....

Last edited by Jacknola; 06-30-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:37 PM
Enthusiast

Eventually Facebook AND Instagram will do the same thing . Right now the ads they generate and them selling the consumer data is profitable.

The $ it costs them for storage , and maintenance of the massive amounts of data will eventually come to a point where they must charge people.

You have pets that have their own FB and IG accounts with hundreds of photos and videos.

Remember Business FB accounts "Used to be " free . Not anymore.
It will be like iTunes, initially consumers balk , but all other free music download sources have been shut down so no choice but to join , put your CC on file and pay up.

That will eventually happen with FB/IG .
Old 06-30-2017, 05:44 PM

Hi Sam!

This move by Photobucket is terrible. You have my sympathy.

I use Fototime for my images and so far the company has have not followed the footsteps of the bucket brigade. I pay an annual subscription rate of US $23.95.

Perhaps you and Jack may want to check it out.

By the way, I'm sure you noticed what rhymes with "bucket".

Good luck!

David

Last edited by Moosehead; 07-01-2017 at 04:25 PM. Reason: correction of Fototime price
Old 06-30-2017, 06:01 PM
Enthusiast

WOW ! Photo bucket really came down with the hammer .

I just read some of their updated ( 6/28/17 ) terms . If any FREE account surpasses the 2GB storage space the account will be "IMMEDIATELY SUSPENDED" and they "will have to become a paying member in order to access their account" .

Does seem like a ransom .

WOW.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:34 PM
Skilled

I have begun restoring some of mine. The Tenite thread, and my Mint Fighter thread, and fighter clip thread. Pain in the *## that's for sure!
Old 06-30-2017, 11:46 PM
Skilled

Six years of RMK research destroyed, and 10 years of rug posts... The people who should be the most angry are site owners who have a lot of posts and traffic to read those posts, historical or present.

And, what if you paid the $400 this year. Is it going to be $1,000 next year? $10,000 the following year? If they want to charge for future photos, fine. But it is a scam to suddenly encrypt 15 years worth of photos. We all can save photos on our computers. The main purpose of a hosting site is 3rd party posts in forums.

The funny thing is, if they wanted to charge $10 or even 420, I might consider it. But this is close to criminal...Screw these guys...

Tags
2017, a, back, bee, case, easy, fighter, file, gallery, hammer, knife, knifemaker, made, need help, photo, post, question, reference, screw, small