MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 05-20-2002, 04:56 PM
JossDelage

ITC-100 vs. Satanite to coat a forge?

Hi,

I am building a Don Fogg-type (vertical pipe) forge. In his pages, he explains how to coat the inswool w/ Satanite. I was thinking of using ITC-100 instead, as I read that it is a better IR reflective.

Any thought / warning reg. this?

Thanks,

JD
Old 05-20-2002, 09:50 PM
Ed Caffrey

Hi Joss!

I really don't thing one is better than the other. Basically they are the same thing from two different companies.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:19 PM
J Loose

Actually, Ed...

I called the companies on this one and this is what I gathered from them...

Satanite is an old mortar refractory that does not reflect IR as well as ITC-100. Satanite is actually meant as a mortar for kiln bricks in large kilns. ITC is meant to increase kiln temps and atmospheric cleanliness. My salt tanks fired much higher after I coated the Inswool / Satanite with ITC-100.

At about $50.00 for a bag of Satanite it is also much cheaper than a pint of ITC-100 for $25.00 I find the Satanite performs quite well for basic forge operation and it helps keep flux out of the Inswool... for a while, anyway.

BTW Joss, if you are going to do any forge-welding you might consider going to Inswool with a castable refractory. I have been replacing the Inswool / Satanite lining in my D.Fogg Forge about every one or two months. A little bit of flux damage significantly lowers the forge temps. I plan on re-lining my old forge-welding unit with castable refractory, but keeping a new bigger forging / heat-treating forge with the Inswool / Satanite, since no flux goes in it...
Old 05-22-2002, 10:37 AM
sjaqua

My under standing is that both will stablize the inswool/kaowool lining of your forge. This is VERY IMPORTANT. Inswool or Kaowool is very nasty stuff. If you line your forge with un-coated Inswool/Kaowool, you will be blowing very small fibers out of your forge, when you run it. These fibers can cause a great deal of damage to your lungs. ITC-100 or Satanite are ceramic coatings that will act as a top coat and seal the loose fibers down. Both work very well for that purpose.

The basic difference between these coatings is that, ITC-100 is a much, much better refractory coating. And thus, costs much more. The saving in propane over the long run, however; will more then pay you back.

My forge has two inches of Kaowool on the tops and sides. The bottem is lined with one inch of Kaowool and a layer of fire brick. The inside surface was then coted with ITC-100. I had an number of people say my "toy" forge would not weld. Well, lets just say it weld fine

As to making the forge last. My floor has taken some damage from welding flux. But only because I didn't replace the sacraficial floor soon enough. I always weld with a piece of 1/2" kiln shelf covering the floor, which I replace as it gets eaten by the flux. I can usualy weld about 3-4 cable or pattern welded bilets before replacing kiln self. The only long term damage to my forge was that the Kaowool roof fell apart this last weekend. But that is because my forge gets knocked around, becasue I take it on the road to demos. It only took about 1/2 hour to put in a new piece of Kaowool and coat it with ITC-100.

Scott B. Jaqua

Old 05-22-2002, 04:31 PM
C L Wilkins

ITC100 vs. Satanite

Wow! $50 bucks seems like lot for a bag of Satanite. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get it? Did this price also include shipping?

Craig
Old 05-23-2002, 12:57 AM
J Loose

Re: ITC100 vs. Satanite

I think the $50 Bag o' Satan was a fifty pounder from A.P. Green, whom I found off of Don Fogg's site. They had to do some looking to find it and they may not have much more... I don't think that price included shipping and it was about a year and a half ago.

I'm almost out, which is yet another reason I plan on moving to castable...

I very much agree with the statements concerning the Inswool fibers, btw... bets to cover it with -anything-
Old 05-25-2002, 06:29 AM
C L Wilkins

Satanite

The reason I asked was that I was able to pick up a bag for $30 locally. This was last year sometime. I quess living close to a large city does have its advantages although I can't think of any others off hand.

Craig
Old 05-25-2002, 07:38 AM
Steelej

Satanite

I use kilnn shelf on the bottom of my forge but fill the space below it and along each side with cheap cat litter.
Had the same lining for a year now having only changed the kiln shelving and cat litter as and when neccessary.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:27 AM
Registered

Where at? What kind of store?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C L Wilkins View Post
The reason I asked was that I was able to pick up a bag for $30 locally. This was last year sometime. I quess living close to a large city does have its advantages although I can't think of any others off hand.

Craig
Hey Craig, I am in the Seattle area and can’t figure out where to find this stuff locally.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 05-08-2019, 11:35 PM
Guru

17 year old comment thread.

Tags
a, forge, forging, hand, ore, store, what kind