MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 03-23-2003, 07:35 PM
Enthusiast

material for larger blades

Hey guys, I've seen the killer bushies and other large blades lately and have been wandering where you find the material. I have seen where leafspring steel has been mentioned several times. Is there a certain model or make vehicle to get the off of?
Old 03-23-2003, 09:22 PM
Hall of Famer

Sammy, I'm not real sure as far as what year but I'd think most any American made car or truck that was made before 1980 you would have better luck getting one that was 5160. I've heard some leaf springs are 1084 but don't take my word on it.

Old 03-24-2003, 07:25 AM
Hall of Famer

Chevy

Old 03-24-2003, 07:29 AM
Steel Addict

Sammy,

Thanks to the advice I got on the bladeforums, I found a local spring repair and manufacturing shop and gave them a call. Found out that they sell their scrap 5160 for $10 "for all you can carry".

So, I went down there and found that they have three very large bins of pieces that have been cut off of the large stock when the springs are made. I ended up with 10 pieces of 1/4" or slightly thicker material that ranged from 2" to 3" wide and 1' to 3' long. Weighed around 40lbs.

This stuff has not been hardened yet and seems to be pretty nice to work with. Of course this is my first knife that I'm working on so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Good luck!

- Mike
Old 03-24-2003, 09:47 AM
Hall of Famer

PropellerHead, After reading your post about the spring steel I wonder what Mike this is? Need to come back more often, glad to see you hanging around the Outpost and don't be shy about chimming in.......Ray

Old 03-24-2003, 09:55 AM
Steel Addict

Ray,

I don't want to hijack this thread, but.... Thanks! I've been browsing the forums, getting a background on what's going on around here. I'll chime in when I think I've got something to contribute, but I think for a while I'll be learning more than contributing.

I really appreciated the time you took from forging to give me all of the good information. I've just about got my first knife profiled out. Next comes the thinning of the blade. Whew. It's quite a workout with just a file and a hacksaw.

Cheers!

- Mike
Old 03-25-2003, 08:39 AM
Misternatural?

The only problem working 5160 is that air cooling it to normalize, tends to leave some hard spots. It is nearly impossible to file it flat and straight when it is like that. You have to cool it more slowly to get an even hardness. 10x series steels normalize better/easier. I think any of them will make a good large knife, if you heat treat them accordingly.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:43 PM

Hey Mike, welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to drop in on us. Don't be a stranger.

Old 03-26-2003, 10:21 PM
Guru

filing leaf spring

go back to my 'sword of laban' thread - I can tell you all about filing 5160, or whatever it was. Took 2 full days.

Hammer on!

Tags
blade, forging, knife