MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 01-21-2005, 11:15 PM
Enthusiast

Anyone have plans for a horizontal grinder??

Guys,
I was wondering if anyone has plans for a horizontal grinder?? I would really want a unit that uses 72" belts, so I don't have to buy different sized belts for it.
I have a few ideas of my own, but I know it is much better to ask here, cause someone always has a better setup, and things just work out better when guys like yourself help me out!
I would VERY much appreciate it fellas!
Old 01-22-2005, 06:14 AM
Skilled

I have been wondering the same thing, glad you asked because I forgot too.

I have looked at the K & G hor. grinder made by John Leblanc of Texas and also the one made by Rob Fink of Beaumont Metal Works here in Ohio. Beaumont makes and sells everything that I think I need except (I forgot to ask) the "tension wheel assembly", this assembly does both the tensioning and the belt tracking (great design Rob).

During my conversation with Rob he stated that some guys have just moved the motor over too a differant location so that they can use there 2x72 belts. This places the motor and drive pully off the mounting plate, but will do the trick (using 2x72 belts).

My knife building skills are not good enough to warrent the cost of one yet ! The K&G runs about 1800 and Beaumont is 690.

Please correct me if any of my information is wrong, as I have been thinking about this for some time now.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:29 AM

I just finished building one using Rob Frink's design. I purchased the wheels and wheel assemblies from Rob and then , with his permission, used his design. I started out wanting the 72" model but after talking to Rob and realizing how much space a 72" would take up versus a 48" I went with the 48". The 48" belts are significantly cheaper than the 72" so getting a new size was not the financial problem that getting a whole new set of 72" would have been. I would strongly suggest you talk to Rob at Beaumont. I am extremely pleased with mine and it makes so many tasks so much easier. Wish I would have done it years ago.
Steve

Old 01-22-2005, 08:36 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVanderkolff
I just finished building one using Rob Frink's design. I purchased the wheels and wheel assemblies from Rob and then , with his permission, used his design. I started out wanting the 72" model but after talking to Rob and realizing how much space a 72" would take up versus a 48" I went with the 48". The 48" belts are significantly cheaper than the 72" so getting a new size was not the financial problem that getting a whole new set of 72" would have been. I would strongly suggest you talk to Rob at Beaumont. I am extremely pleased with mine and it makes so many tasks so much easier. Wish I would have done it years ago.
Steve

Well Steve,
That is a good point, and maybe I could live with the different sized belts. ONLY because they are cheaper though.
Hmmm...
Old 01-22-2005, 08:38 AM
Skilled

Thanks Steve, Did you buy "Rob's" belt tensioner/belt tracking wheel assembley ?
Old 01-22-2005, 12:10 PM

Yes I did. I bought the wheels , the small wheel attachment for the horizontal and the tension / tracking assembly. Everything else is really just plate steel so I bought that locally instead of having it shipped.
As I said: your best bet is to tal to Rob. He is great to work with and loves to help.
Steve

Old 01-22-2005, 12:32 PM
Steel Addict

2x48 belts

Steve,where do you purchase the 2x48 belts for your horizontal grinder, and what grits are available ?. T.I.A.
Roland
Old 01-22-2005, 12:37 PM
Enthusiast

Guys,
I would like to know what exactly is involved in buying the parts from Rob Frink, and then using your own motor to build this thing.
I know it can't be TOO complicated, as it is just mounting a motor and some wheels, but I would just like to know what the process is, and how it is done. Does Rob just give you a drawing with dimensions/etc?
Anybody got some PICS here fellas? I LOVE pics!!! Thanks to everyone thus far!! Really!!
Old 01-22-2005, 01:01 PM

First I picked up my X 48 belts from barbkat.com They go from 60 to 400 grit.

Second If yo ulook on the beaumont metal site you can find plans for the horizontal grinder with assembly instructions. This was the first real machine I ever built and it went together fairly easily.
Take a look at the plans and if you have any questions either ask Rob or here and I will see if I can be of some help.
Steve

Old 01-22-2005, 01:38 PM
Skilled

I have Rob's horizontal grinder and I don't know what I did without it. Most of the time I rip the 2x belts in half because you can't use the whole 2" anyway (in most applications) and it makes the belts even cheaper. The heavy grit belts last me a long time but I do go through the finer grits faster, but absolutely worth it.
Another .02, Dave
Old 02-05-2005, 07:41 PM

Just finished my second version of the Sidewinder. I bought most of the wheels from Rob. This one is made mostly from aluminum, making it easier to wrestle around. It also has quick change tool arms with work rests. It fits the tool bar on my KMG, I have a friend that is building one to fit his Bader III This takes 2X72 belts. Makes profiling easy...couldn't live without it

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...380&a=31628159

Mike
Old 02-06-2005, 08:51 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Mike
I really like your design. But Im a little confused. Is this an adaptation for a standardd KMG ? A horizontal that can be added to the regular unit?

Thanks and God Bless
Mike

Old 02-06-2005, 09:26 AM
Enthusiast

Just spoke with Mike about these. Yes, they are just an attachment that slides into the regular KMG vertical grinder. They use a belt twisted 90 degrees to drive them.
Check Mike's webshots photo page to see more pics, and how it is done...
Old 02-06-2005, 12:01 PM

DiamondG Knives, Yep, it slides into the KMG tool bar holder. I just swing the KMG tracking/tensioning arm back out of the way...it will clear just makes changing belts faster with it out of the way. The only modification to the KMG was to replace the 5/8" ( I think later models have 3/4" ) shaft that runs thru the bearings and drive wheel with a longer shaft. It's about 1 1/2" longer to allow a pulley to be added...sort of an accessory drive. Depending on how your machine is set up to drive, it may be possible to loosen the set screws on the existing shaft and shift it over some. I've also built a buffer attachment that will drive off of the pulley...VS buffer! The addition of the accessory drive pulley opens up more options for the already versatile KMG. You da man Rob!
The Bader will require a wider drive wheel with a Vee groove machined, for the belt to run in. The Bader also has a smaller tool bar...other than that, this attachment will fit either machine.

Take Care!
Mike

Tags
knife, knives