MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-06-2013, 06:28 PM
Skilled

Vintage Model 14's

I?ve been following the sheath discussion on another board. Some collectors seem pretty certain that they have answers about who, when, for what sheaths were acquired, and those fall into reasonably definable time periods. Others acknowledge unknowns. Certainly there are some mysteries - hence the magic-Randall.

So, I thought I would post this. I was the under bidder for the above green Tenite 14 in an on-line auction ? still kick myself for trying to cheap it. Nice knife? but the sheath was even more interesting. At first glance, one would think it a custom made sheath. BUT?. upon further thought, it is very simple-basic in construction, and usually custom sheaths are ? well ? ?custom.? The maker?s stamp is from a well-known holster manufacturer who invented the James Bond quick access shoulder holster.

I have some difficulty envisioning this firm taking the trouble to make a one-off, very basic replacement sheath for one knife for one person, a sheath no better than the Randall supplied article. If this was a replacement, it would probably have been easier to acquire a new one from Randall. That said, this sheath looks to be well and carefully made of excellent materials. The leather is very beautiful with color and patina that has survived obvious usage. Thoughts?

Comment: Imagine how boring collecting or appreciating old Randall knives would be if they had been made with serial numbers, matched with dates, people with documented sheaths and stones. How boring?!

Last edited by Jacknola; 08-04-2017 at 10:57 AM.

Tags
angle, bee, blade, blades, collecting, collector, custom, guard, holster, holsters, home, knife, knives, leather, made, make, materials, post, randall, rivets, sheath, sheaths, simple, stone, vintage