MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:39 AM
Enthusiast

Question Buffing wheel in SH DVD

Was wondering if some1 can tell where that precise buffing wheel
can be purchased from ? In the DVD, it is of greenish hue and is the
only buffing wheel that is used .

It just looks and sounds so right !
Old 08-02-2007, 01:41 PM

The green color comes from the RCH SS 306 buffing compound, however, now, I use ONLY RCH 300, WHITE compound & the compound is available from KNIFE AND GUN SUPPLY: http://www.knifeandgun.com/ProductDe...ductCode=AB300

You have to get the yellow wheels, with either 3/4" or "pinhole" arbor hole, from POP KNIFE SUPPLY: http://www.popsknifesupplies.com/wheel.html

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift
Old 09-10-2007, 12:32 AM
Skilled

I understand that these yellow wheels are more firm. How do they compare to regular white sewn wheels?
Old 09-10-2007, 09:43 PM

They are not sewn, so are actually "floppy." However when turning at 3600 rpm they stiffen up just right. The yellow comes from a glue treatment that makes them a bit stiffer and more aggressive. They are the only buffing wheel that I use, they are not as hard as a sewn wheel, but work well for me. Not to say that they are the only way to go. You might give them a try and other types and see what you like, or what works best for you.

NRA Endowment Member

Last edited by Steve; 09-11-2007 at 01:54 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Enthusiast

I started using the treated buffing wheels and the white RCH compound after watching the sub-hilt video. They have made a tremendous difference both in time spent and final appearance of the polish.

Steve, I know I've thanked you a couple of times already, but I want to do so once again. Your video has been a big help to me in my knifemaking. I've watched probably six or more times now (slow learner) and keeping picking up little things that help me make a better knife. I've gotten faster and I'm getting better results.

Missed you at Chicago this year.

Sincerely,
Thad

Old 09-12-2007, 09:41 AM

Hey, Thad, thank you. I really like those buffs and that compound. They work!

I think that Eldon Talley has the record for number of times watching the Sub-hilt DVD, but you must be a close second!! How many times can a person sit through 3-4 hrs. of listening to me? Maybe we should keep score and give a prize??? I'm happy that it has been of some use. Couldn't get to Chicago, what with AKI coming up so soon. Going to Spirit of Steel, but will have a bare minimum number of knives, have been asked to serve on a discussion panel while at SOS. Should be fun. We'll be in Chicago next year!

NRA Endowment Member
Old 09-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Enthusiast

I'm sure I'll watch it a few more times so I may catch Eldon if he doesn't keep his pace up.

It sounds like you have a full plate for the next month or so. I've seen photos of knives you've taken to AKI in the past and they look to be pretty demanding so I can't imagine trying include another show in there.

Look forward to crossing paths again.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:50 AM
Steel Addict

Hello Steve,

I would like to give a review of my experience with these yellow buffs.

After watching your Sub-Hilt video I purchased some of the buffs from Pops
And have been using them for about 1 ? years with good results on an 1800 RPM buffer. I still wasn?t totally pleased with the finish I was getting, thought I should be able to do better.

I was talking to Mike Lovett about a month ago and he said if I would run these buffs at 3600 RPM I would get a better finish.

Well I ordered a 3600 RPM buffer from Pops and received it this past Friday.
I set it up Saturday morning and tried it on three knives that I had waiting.

The finish from the 3600 RPM buffer is the finish I have been looking for many years.
It is amazing how doubling the speed of your buffer can make such a difference.

I would like to thank you again for the Video and all your help in the past and thanks to Mike Lovett for his advice as well.

Take Care
Charles
Old 10-02-2007, 09:42 AM

My buffer is 3600 rpm, and it works well. I'm glad that you're happy with it. Thanks for the positive comments and for the recommendations about the faster buffer. I haven't' used anything but 3600 rpm for probably 30 yrs., so didn't know that it should be stressed, I guess. All I know/knew was that it worked well for me.

NRA Endowment Member
Old 10-03-2007, 08:05 AM
Enthusiast

with these particular wheels, it is quite interesting that they are not nearly as "grabby" as some others I've used before. Not to say one doesn't need to be careful around the buffer,
but still

Harbor Freight sells ~$70 3600 rpm buffer that I've been using for a few years by now. Highly recommended, pretty powerful, very stable and it goes on sale every now and then .
Old 10-08-2007, 09:29 PM

Thumbs up Steve

Great video Steve.After the third time I have watch it I came up with a couple of questions. What type of grease did you put on the disk grinder? Are all your full tang handles made the same way? And last, how does the super glue hold up on a knife that has a lot of use? Many thanks for taking the time to make the video and to Gene for an excellent final product. dlee
Old 10-09-2007, 12:58 AM

Thank you Mr. Lee. I am sure that my grease is from RCH Supply, but any supplier will have "belt grease," or "disc grease," that will work fine.

All my full-tangs are made pretty much the same way. Of course bolsters go on differently way than a guard, 4 pins & no solder, but everything else is close, from knife to knife. Grinding can differ, depending on what type of knife, small wheel with the double edge blades, large wheel for hunters. However, with the 'Chute, for instance, I use an 8" wheel for the bottom grind and a 3 or 4" wheel for the top grind. The Wilderness generally gets an 8" wheel top and bottom. (Though I'm making a 'Chute right now with a 'Chute grind on one side and Wilderness grind on the other and using a 4" wheel on top and 8" wheel on bottom, both sides.)

You're bolting the handles on with stainless bolts, that is pretty solid! Super glue seems to hold fine. I've had to replace a few handles for customers that want them switched, say from Micarta? to Stag and have had to heat the knife up to about 200?F to get the super glue to break loose from the tang. To each his own, however. If you like epoxy, go ahead and use that instead. Thanks again.

NRA Endowment Member

Last edited by Steve; 10-09-2007 at 01:04 AM. Reason: corrections
Old 12-25-2008, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
Hey, Thad, thank you. I really like those buffs and that compound. They work!

I think that Eldon Talley has the record for number of times watching the Sub-hilt DVD, but you must be a close second!! How many times can a person sit through 3-4 hrs. of listening to me? Maybe we should keep score and give a prize??? I'm happy that it has been of some use. Couldn't get to Chicago, what with AKI coming up so soon. Going to Spirit of Steel, but will have a bare minimum number of knives, have been asked to serve on a discussion panel while at SOS. Should be fun. We'll be in Chicago next year!
Thanks, I think i've seen your DVD around 800 times, give or take a few.

Last edited by Eldon Talley; 12-25-2008 at 04:09 AM.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:09 PM

Only 800??? What else is there to do in Manti in your spare time? I was betting on a thousand, for what you tell me all the time, Eldon!

Have a wonderful New Year, everyone!

NRA Endowment Member
Old 12-30-2008, 09:19 AM
Enthusiast

Guess that explains why it took over a year to post. 800 times? Man, you must have gone thru a ton of pop corn! I'll bet its' very well worth watching!

3600 rpm makes the buffing wheel stiffer and really stand up on the work rather than trying to wrap around it and throw it across the shop! Lol!!! Wonder how I learned that one! Haa!!

I have only had the pin hole types that were sewn together. I've just been cutting the thread on some of them to have a few loose buffs.

I'll try Pop's the next time I need to order a few.

Happy New Year!

thanks;
Mike

Last edited by michaellovett; 12-30-2008 at 09:22 AM.

Tags
arbor, back, blade, build, knife, knives, made, mirror, polish, steel