MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Registered

Question about leather sheath fading knife handle

Hi,

I recently made a knife using cocobolo and after I made my sheath (letting it dry for several days) I placed the knife in the sheath. After a week or so, I took it out and noticed part of the knife handle that was inside the sheath has now faded to a light brown, whereas the remainder of the handle is still the same dark brown. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this occurred? I sanded the handle to a smooth finish and put some Danish oil as well as a light coating of wood wax (Howard Feed-N-Wax wood preserver). I waited a several days before placing it in the sheath.

Also, is there any remedy? It is a Christmas gift for my dad so time is running short!

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

You don't say how you finished the sheath or whether it was affected. Veg tan or chrome tan leather?

It's likely that the problem is only on the surface, as cocobolo is very oily wood. In my experience, Danish wood oil takes at least 3 days in warm conditions to dry and it may take a long time on an oily wood. It's mix of oil and varnish and it's popularity is because it takes a while for the varnish to polymerize (harden). It needs exposure to air to do that. Wood wax is wax and solvent, so that works against the cause if you put it on too soon.

It's likely that the discoloration is only on the surface and can be fixed. I'd wipe off the surface with a small amount of solvent, then re-sand it with the finest grit you have. You can put a little Danish on it and sort of wet sand it and see if that gets you back to the color you like.

I wouldn't rule out the finish on the leather as an issue. If you have similar, oily materials in contact, they can migrate into each other.

Tags
back, chris, christmas, handle, harden, knife, knife handle, leather, leather sheath, made, materials, sand, sheath, surface, wax, wood