MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:16 PM

New guy saying hello.

New to the forum, just wanted to say a quick hello to everyone. Been a die hard knife nut since I was a kid. Now, middle-aged and with kids of my own, I've decided it was about time I should start making knives. As a cop who comes from a family of artists, I like to think I have a good understanding of both form and function. I'm pretty handy with manual tools, and don't have the budget or space for electric bench tools at this time, so I think I'll start with a couple (few?) kits to get the feel of working with different handle materials, the Ralph SG4 and Delta 5 kits look pretty straight forward, and are designs I really favor. After that I'll try some stock removal.

I have to say, I've been looking at custom guns and knives my whole life, and the things I have seen on this forum are, simply put, amazing. It definitely proves the possibilities are endless and it is inspriring, to say the least. Looking forward to getting started!
Old 01-17-2012, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum, centermass!

Hang out with us for long and you'll be broke, but happy!

Let us know if you need any help!

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 01-17-2012, 09:33 PM
Steel Addict

Hi centermass

I am pretty much in the same boat as you are by the sounds of it (though I'm not a cop and I am far from an artist). Welcome to the forum. I am also completely new though I have completed one prefabricated blade and sheath. I am slowly accumulating a few tools and I have just scribed my first piece of steel for stock removal by hand file. This has been a great place to learn and I am looking forward to seeing what I can do. I will post what I make as I hope you do as well.

Good luck

Brett
Old 01-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Steel Addict

First of all, Thank You For Your Service as a Police Officer,. Sry, Never mind me ,but I have never liked the word cop.

Welcome to the forum!!

Jeff
Old 01-17-2012, 10:14 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Many, if not most of us, started with kit knives and it's a good way to start. Hand tools - mostly sand paper and files - should do just fine for most kits and quite a few guys never use anything else. In any case, even if you some day own every power tool that a knife maker could want you'll still need the skills with files and sand paper.

Welcome aboard and let the games begin ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 01-17-2012, 10:39 PM

Thanks all for the welcome. Seems like any hobby can break the bank, if you let it. Heck, one can fly a $3.00 kite, but I bet there are $1,000.00 kites out there if you get into it enough to spend that kind of money. Heck, I pay more money than I'd like to for my kids to play sports these days, which save uniforms should be free in my mind. Call it midlife crisis, or whatever you want, but I used to be creative and am longing for that again. This seems to be a way to make something practical out of it, and will hopefully show my kids they can make stuff too, instead of finding an "app" to do it for them on the iPod.

Xspook: I appreciate your sentiment, and thanks for your recognition, but I gave up on taking umberage over the "cop" versus "law enforcement officer" some time ago. I'm plain clothes anyway, which usually confuses people enough as to what to call me when I'm out doing my job. In my experience, most people these days are too far gone to display any decorum of respect to anyone, much less LEO's or persons of other authority. As long as the baddies understand I'm the one with their ticket to jail, they can call me whatever they want. Doing so never changes the game in their favor, and I don't lose much sleep over it.

Thanks again all. I'll post pics of whatever I put together... if it's not too embarrassing of course!
Old 01-18-2012, 02:04 AM
Steel Addict

Its good to be thick skinned, these days.

By the way I am not nearly as old as I sound or feel, just raised correctly.

Both my mom and dad are in their seventies and to this day would give me a swift kick, if I showed any disrespect to a member of law enforcement or our military.

Well, My preaching is over.

Besides the sandpaper and files I would suggest a Dremmel or Dremmel like tool with accessories, some Roto Zip type bits for cutting the slot in a hidden tang handle.

I would also recommend: ( FIXED BLADE - Kit Building Basics) (Delta 5) by Darrel Ralph

This will help with most fixed bladed kit knives.

Jeff

Last edited by xspook2158; 01-18-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:27 AM

Just ordered a Delta 5 kit (drop point), some black paper micarta, and other stuff. We'll see how it goes. I'm psyched!

Jeff, I'm not as old as I sound (or feel) either, but I think I was raised right too.

As for a Dremel, got one. In fact, there's not much I do in my house without it.

Thanks for the tips!

-Steve
Old 01-18-2012, 05:59 AM

Welcome to the addiction. Take your time and finish each step the best you can before moving on to the next. It's good therapy and and you wind up with something more usefull than a basket or a wall hanging.
Do a lot of research here and other forums, check around and see if there are knife clubs, guilds, makers in your area and get connected. I there are several makers in and around Tampa. You won't regret it. The makers here on the forums are the same way in person, we're all willing to help where we can. Ask any questions (none are stupid, we all started with the "first one").
Couple of more books you might find very helpful: Wayne Goddard's "$50 Knife Shop", Loveless's book on Kifemaking, etc., good reads with lots of info and pictures.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 01-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Hall of Famer

Welcome, centermass!

On your list of tools to buy don't forget safety equipment. A good respirator should be on the list to keep from breathing in the dust from grinding/sanding that micarta.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. This is a terrific group of guys here, and they've always been willing to answer questions and offer suggestions.

Nathan
Old 01-18-2012, 08:50 PM

Great advice. Thanks guys.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:56 PM
Skilled

Welcome aboard

Tags
art, blade, custom, darrel, files, fixed blade, forge, grinding, handle, hidden, hobby, hunting knife, kit, kits, knife, knives, military, post, ralph, sheath, tang, tips