MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 07-23-2001, 06:49 PM
viper5192

A Question for Makers!

This is a multi-parter: When and why did you start making knives? (any anecdotes would be fine), And who is your biggest influence makerwise (pictures as references are ok also!)
Old 07-23-2001, 07:30 PM
Bob Warner

I've been asked "WHY" a lot over the years and I really cannot remember why. I cannot remember the day I said to myself, "I think I will try to make a knife," or what my motivation was. I have asked my wife several times if she can remember the circumstances and she cannot. I do remember being at a friends wedding and they used a custom made knife to cut the wedding cake, it was a gift from her brother. I guess it was in my mind from then on but was about five years before I decided to take a shot. I made my first knife in 1993.

As for those that influenced me, there are several. The very first knifemaker that I ever talked to lives fairly close to me. I wrote him a letter (after seeing his ad in BLADE magazine), I asked him to explain heat treating to me. I knew nothing about heat treating or even why I had to do it. He invited me to his shop. I went to his shop on a Saturday and was propmtly told that I had to quit my job immediately and buy several grinders and go full time or just forget the whole thing. If I was not willing to commit 100% I would never be a knifemaker. Well guess what, I left and did not talk to him after that until last years Spirit of Steel show. He did not have clue who I was, I did not tell him either. For obvious reasons I will not tell who he was, but I have heard he has become a nicer person. I hope so, he does great work.

After that I met Hugh Bartrug at a show in New York. He is one hell of a nice guy and explained heat treating to me in a way I could understand it. I really admire his abilities and his dedication to this craft. I wish his health would allow him to continue. I met a lot of people that day but none really stuck out since I did not know any of them. I still have a stack of business cards from that show and would REALLY like to talk to some of them again. There are some big names in that stack of cards.

I guess the ones that really influence me now are the guys like:
Gene Osborn who works his butt off for his family and still finds time to help anyone in any way he can and has a wife (Pat) that will help with everything else.
Ed Caffrey who will work you through a problem until you get it figured out and has the technical knowledge to help and not just offer lip service.
Bob Engnath who shared EVERTHING he knew with anyone that wanted to learn it.
And many others that are willing to help each other.

Sometimes you can help 1000 people and when you need it there is nobody around that is willing to help you. But the people I admire are the ones that go ahead and help 1000 more.

Hats off to them and everyone I have dealt with at the CKD.
Old 07-23-2001, 11:50 PM
ansoknives

I started making knives in 1988 after reading an article in an old issue of Popular Mechanics. My dad gave me 3-4 years worth of these magazines dating back to 49-53 and it was very good reading...must have read that article a thousand times before I did anything about it. I made my first knife out of a big file using a benchgrinder and a drillpress as the only powertools. It was big and crude but I was very proud.

You can check the pictures from the article here (and if you know danish you can read it too): ansoknives.com/popular.htm

I must say that Randall ment alot to me when I started out because of this article. Later I got a book by David Boye and was greatly influenced by his knives. I have not had any one learning me how to do what I do and it was not until 94-95 or so that I met another knifemaker....

Old 07-24-2001, 02:23 AM
BCB27

I started making knives in '99, although it had been a desire of mine since '89 or '90. That was when I was first introducted to custom knives by a friends' father by the name of Jim Dunkle. Being an admirer of weaponry and an extremely pragmatic person, it seemed like an excellent way to express myself creatively.
It's hard to narrow down my influences because of all the advice from this and other forums, however, I would point to Steve Rollert and Rick Hinderer for the help they have given me.

Brett
Old 07-24-2001, 08:34 AM
viper5192

Good influences in my book! C'mon you makers give! You KNOW you want to tell us ;-)
Old 07-24-2001, 11:06 AM
GavinD

I started making knives in 1981 after reading an article about the first South African Knife Makers Guild Meeting. I started collecting knives at a very young age and always wanted to make a knife for myself. After reading the article I called on Billy Kojetin and he showed me the basics of knife making. My first few knives were made with files and hand tools only. At that stage in South Africa there were no belt grinders available so I had to make my own. At the moment I am trying to make myself known in the American market and if all goes well I would like to go into knife making full time.

Concerning who was the biggest influence it would have to be Billy Kojetin, Piet Grey, Owen Wood and Rob brown amongst others.

Gavin
Old 07-24-2001, 08:31 PM
Mike Conner

I have always been a "hands on" kind of person and have loved knives for as long as I can remember. I made my first knife from a kit over twenty years ago. It is probably one of the ugliest knives ever made, but it cut like a razor and I still have and use it. It has skinned many a deer.
Around 4 years ago I bought a custom knife off of an ebay auction because I was tired of the poor quality production knives that are on the market.
When I got the knife I studied it very closely, it was the first hand made knife that I had ever handled. It was made by D Holder .
I was looking closely at the knife almost every night for about a week when my wife asked me why I kept studying it. I simply told her that I thought I could make knives if I had some equipment and she said "well you know where they sell it" and that was the beginning of a journey that I hope last a long time.
I bought several books and the Loveless video, some equipment and went at it. At first I made some using the blades from the knife supply houses as I still didn't have a grinder good enough to tackle grinding blades. Then I bought one of the Grizzly grinders and started grinding. After a lot of scrap steel and cuss words I finally started to make a few decent knives. I have since built a new grinder similar to a Bader with v/s and it has made a world of difference in my grinding.
I just made my first folder and hope to get my forge built soon, I want to be as versatile a maker as I can be without loosing the desire that seems to grow as I learn and I still have a long way to go.

As far as those who have influenced me I guess it would have be be D Holder because of the knife that I bought, Loveless from his video, Jerry Hossum and many others who have shared their knowledge of knifemaking freely.
Mike

Old 07-24-2001, 11:05 PM
J Loose

My first memories are from my early childhood, accompanying my parents on archaeological digs in the American Southwest. Sure the old pots and buildings were cool, but I liked the jewelry I saw on the Indians... somehow the jewelry linked them to their culture and history; and that seemed intriguing to me. This got me interested in my own history and soon I found myself fascinated with all kinds of metalwork: from chalices and reliquaries to swords and armor. I think the thing here is the permanence of the medium. Metalwork lasts longer than most things and so it tells us many interesting old tales...

Why knives and ( oh, so soon... ) swords? All I can say is I like working with gold and silver... I like blacksmithing... I made my first knife about 10 years ago at Maine College of Art but the first time I etched that piece of Damascus I knew I'd found my life's work. That was only a year and a half ago!

I once had the chance to hold and inspect some Viking Age pattern welded swords. To know that the maker and I could have made shop talk blew me away. To know that these blades had doubtless defended the owner to the death made me think one thing... That Smith had better be good- what a responsibility we have when making tools of life and death! It was also refreshing to catch a twisted bar that got put in backwards! :

All of us knifemakers here today have a good chance of also leaving something to the world that could easily last a thousand years. How cool is that?

As for influences I'd have to say Tim McCreight, my professor in college; Don Fogg for his committment to the sharing of our Craft and an obscure old dead guy named Ulfbehrt. Heh.
Old 07-25-2001, 09:42 AM
viper5192

Looked for Ulfbehrt and found nada on the web BUT amazingly enough Ulfbehrt was mentioned in 2 different places as Baby name references! I think I would have to hurt my parents very basdly if they named me Ulfbehrt ;-)
Old 07-25-2001, 12:52 PM
Bob Warner

I believe Ulfbehrt would be a person that made swords. Is that correct Johnothon?

Also, that name would not be so bad if you lived in Finnland (I think).
Old 07-25-2001, 01:54 PM
Brad Duncan

influences

I machined my first knife in Dec. 99.A very crued Fixed blade.This was before I new what a knife grinder was.I liked Greg Lightfoots work and purchased my first ?Blade Mag in april of 2000 which was March issue.Greg was featured and I gave him a call and asked him what equipment to buy.He is a great guy to talk to.Anyway since then I have put about 10 hours a day into making folders and have produced near 200 maybe more.I am still learning every day.I was able to go full time in march due to a lay off at my job as a Machinist.As it stands I dont think I will ever have to go back to that .Thank God and thanks to mainy great customers.I met Gene Osborne in Oct 99 and he actualy lit the fuse.
Thanks
Brads

www.duncanknives.com/main.htm

Old 07-26-2001, 10:31 AM
J Loose

Re: influences

Ulfbehrt was one of the first European bladesmiths to sign his work... marking a transition from the craftsman as relatively anonymous to the craftsman as individual. He would sign his name by forging it directly into the pattern welding of the blade! The swords became so sought after that it is thought he established a large scale production shop and then a bunch of other smiths started 'forging,' Ulfbehrts.

The span of Ulfbehrt swords runs about 200-300 years if I remember correctly... long lived guy!

Old 07-26-2001, 11:54 AM
viper5192

Re: influences

So have any websites we can see or pix??? I am curious now!
Old 07-27-2001, 05:33 PM
Geno

The first was over 20 years ago as a favor to a friend! I found a craft that combined all the arts I love. There is a history of thousands of knives since then.. And still today no two are exactly alike.
No one will ever be remembered for the first knife, it's what you have done since.
I love to learn and try new things.
The craft is limitless.

It can be very expensive to compete yet quite easy to get started. Wow, what a life!

I devote myself to the cause Center Cross stands for. Fine handmade cutlery and the teaching of the Word of God. My hope is to build God's kingdom by the fruit of my crafts. I am honored and pleased to bring a Christian service to the shows I attend.

there wasn't much point in asking knifemaking questions 20 years ago. There were fewer makers and many didn't want to share their "secrets". I have spent half my life trying to change that reputation for rainmakers. Most guys know I'll give you anything I've got.

Paul, since you asked. God was my influence. One verse Psalms 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." I know you're not a "Jesus Freak" like me, so I'll make it short.
Today, I am a blessed man. I truly have the desires of my heart and the things I love are flourishing.
What I have learned as a bonus - the more I give away, the more I am given to give away. God is good!

Old 07-28-2001, 04:59 PM
viper5192

Although We are different when it comes to religion, I very much respect your knifemaking and the fact that you are willing to stand up when others would try and minimize their faith. I have seen and handled quite a few of your knives and been in your shop, and i must say you are blessed!

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, forging, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives