MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 09-04-2005, 04:39 PM

Thumbs up A Real Randall Hero!

Hi all!

I received a communication from our much beleaguered ordinary super hero, Randall Man today which I would like to share with you.

Our always friendly and helpful fellow member SteveM has been recalled to active duty with his unit, and will be shortly serving in the New Orleans area to help with the post Katrina recovery efforts. As a result, he will be absent from these forums for awhile.

On behalf of all of the members here on the Knife Network, and the other moderators on the Randall forums, I would like to thank Steve for his truly heroic sacrifice and efforts, and wish him a safe and timely return.

I'm sure he'll be packing one of his favourite Randalls, just in case he runs into a hungry alligator or somethin'...

Good luck Steve!

Best regards

David

Old 09-04-2005, 05:05 PM
Steel Addict

Good Luck and God Speed!!! We'll be lifting you up in our prayers for your health, psychically as well as mentally for what your about to undertake.--------DW------------
Old 09-04-2005, 05:44 PM
Steel Addict

Thank you, Steve for your service. God speed, stay safe and we'll be thinking of you.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:24 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm playing the hurry up and wait game now. Were just awaiting transportation. Since this deploymnet is unclassified, I can give you all some details of what our mission is going to be. We a 70 person + team from Seymour Johnson AFB 4 CES(Civil Engineer Squadron) will be deploying to New Orleans Airport. Our main mission will be to construct a large tent city. This will include setting up god nows how many tents along with providing electricity, HVAC(that's me), latrines, probably a dining facility, and anything else that pops up. A civil Engineer Squadron has all the knowledge and skill to fabricate facilities from the ground up. We have electricians, HVAC, heavy equipment operators, plumbers, carpenters, welders, metal fabricators, power production, liquid fuels, logistics, EOD, firefighters, and mechanical engineers. Basically everything you would need to build and support a base from the ground up. Being that we have this expertise we will also more than likely be tasked with making expedient repairs to whatever facilities in town that we can.

This is probably going to be the most challenging deployment I will ever go on and I'm looking forward to doing what I can to help out. I just wish they'd get the plane here and get on the way.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:17 PM
Steel Addict

Steve, Thanks , God speed and stay safe
Old 09-04-2005, 07:48 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Raindog
Steve,

Be careful down there! We will keep you in our thoughts. And which Randall are you toting with you?

-gary

- Ronald Reagan
Old 09-04-2005, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

The gators aren't so bad - it's the nutria you need to watch out for!

Good luck, stay safe, and know that we appreciate your efforts!

Old 09-04-2005, 09:28 PM
Steel Addict

Be careful

Steve, as they say in the old westerns, Vayos con Dios amigo...

We sent a contingent of 12 Customs Officers from our port yesterday (Port Huron, MI) to help. I can't volunteer because of medical restrictions or I would be there.

I have experience in providing emergency support on a mass scale; now compared to Katrina what I did in '94 in Key West seems trivial - I and 9 people that worked for me were responsible to establish a Forward Operating Base to support the ships and people who rescued/interecepted at sea, the 30,000+ Cubans who tried to make it to the US in August of 1994.

I got an e-mail a little bit ago, from a friend who is assigned to the Coast Guard Opcen down there. To date, they have rescued 17,500 people. Although this will probably be the worst natural disaster to hit the US, hang tough Steve - you and everyone down there or going there should be commended for what you have to do.

Be careful down there; if you need anything, e-mail me at timhecht@sbcglobal.net. If I can help you, let me know.

Tim

Old 09-04-2005, 10:09 PM
Steel Addict

Steve, We know you are going to be very busy over there, but if the opportunity arises, and computers are available, keep us updated on how things are going. Thanks again for your service.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:00 AM
Skilled

Steve,
.....Good luck and be safe. I spent several weeks in south Florida working on Hurrican Andrew recovery. It was interesting. This deployment should be an adventure for you.
Jeff
Old 09-05-2005, 02:39 PM

Godspeed Steve! If you need anything give me a shout perry@spaceportcutlery.com

Perry

Old 09-06-2005, 07:08 PM
Registered

Good Luck and Godspeed. Watch out for the potential Greg Gutcher Custom Made Randall Sheaths on the hoof. (or perhaps bring a few back)

Greig Campbell
Old 09-13-2005, 09:49 PM
Enthusiast

It looks like I won't be going down after all. I was pretty hyped about going and was and still am ready to go but there was apperantly a communication breakdown somewhere. It's possible I could still go but it is looking highly unlikely. I think what happened was the government was taking a beating by everyone for not doing enough so they jumped ahead of themselves and tried to do too much at once. We did send a few folks down.
http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123011620
Old 09-14-2005, 06:39 AM

Hi Steve!

Given your positive attitude and enthusiastic willingness to go down and help, you're still a hero in my book!

Thanks for the news article.

Cheers!

David

Tags
knife