MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:16 PM
Guru

awesome thanks....yeh i know its deffinitly more than i need but ya know my sis is always steeling the other one wich really is my mothers and she dont live with us so when she takes it its gone for a week and my moms been wanting a better one for a while so she paid for half and my sis is not getting her hands on this one .....let her keep the other cheep one it didnt do good with up close shots so not really great for my purpose. glad you said something by adobe when i learned VB C++ html i also did some graphic design for web pages and used stuff like photoshop, 3d studio max but all that work was 99% computer graphics not photo editing and it was a long time since i touched it but i figured ill be able to figure it out with some playing....the camera has a "auto" mode where it does the focusing and all that but there is alot of settings that i can do manually maybe once i figure those out it will be enough by itself
Old 07-27-2016, 07:34 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

That camera can do the job pretty much by itself on auto settings. The main thing will be to get enough light on the subject and make sure it is diffused light and not specular. That's a fancy way of saying shine the light through a white plastic garbage bag or a bedsheet, don't try to light the knife with a bright light pointed directly at it.

Other than that, don't get too fancy with backgrounds (keep it simple). If you lay the knife horizontally in the picture you can make a smaller picture (byte wise) than if you do the fancier diagonal layout.

The auto settings will likely create an enormously large picture but that software can easily be used to resize the picture . Huge pixel counts are great if you plan to print a billboard from the picture but when all you want to do is show it to prospective customers on the internet the picture can be reduced to under 100k bytes with almost no noticeable loss of quality (see my airplane pics). That makes it possible to have many pics on the same page with very fast load times. People can't see your knives if they lose patience and leave before the page can load ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-28-2016, 07:31 AM
Guru

OK thanks i am going to play with it a lil today. starting another HT batch of blades today so i figure while they are int\ the oven i can try and figure out how to get a good pic...so if i use a bag or sheet over light then i dont need to use the flash right. thats one thing i was playing with and it was hard to get the right angle especially on 1 that was polished
Old 07-28-2016, 08:30 AM

Not over the light, between the light and the subject. The best way is to build a light box. Mine is a cardboard box about 2ft on each side. Most of the front of the box is cut away so I can see the knife inside and take the picture. The top of the box and part of the back is cut away and replaced with thin white plastic from a garbage bag. A set of four powerful white lights is mounted a couple of inches away from the plastic. So, the lights are at the top/back shining through the plastic and the camera is at the front looking through the opening. A setup like this is about the only practical way to take a decent picture of a polished (yuck!) blade ...

Old 07-28-2016, 12:22 PM
Guru

Ok got it during the time i got knives in the oven today ill try and rig something up maybe get some pics up later....yeh i know you hate polishing a blade. my opinion is it has its place would i polish a blade i am going to take in the woods NO but if its a wall hanger or just to have yeh sometimes it looks good for example the last 2 polished ones i did was for my mother and now the one i am almost done making for my friend ( remember i told you i had to make a pink one....thats the one) but neither of those will be used much my mother really just wanted one to show people "look what my son did" that kinda thing and the one for my friend she just wants one just to have and keep at home maybe carry once in a while just to carry not to use much so like i said i think everything has its place just like the cera coat ..good on tactical style blades not much more tho.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:05 PM

The problem with doing shiny blades just for mom or girlfriend is that they will show that knife to people who are NOT your mom or girlfriend. Then at least some of those people will want a shiny knife too.

My general rule is never make any knife or knife feature that you aren't willing to make many times in the future because people will continue to order what they see....

Old 07-28-2016, 04:22 PM
Guru

hmm very very true didnt think about that but your right remember that pic of a polished dagger i put up it has blue and white handle matterial between to SS bolsters (front one with a point) that one took alot of time especilly getting that front bolster pointed right but almost every one that see's it either wants to buy it or wants me to make another....the answer has always been no....but it does prove your point and i deffinitly dont want to have to make a bunch of them it was a pain in the a** unless some one offered me a rediculous amount of money
Old 07-28-2016, 05:05 PM

After a while even ridiculous money won't be enough to make you do it. No matter how much you might wish it were otherwise, when you have to make a knife you really don't want to make you won't do your best work. So, don't advertise something you don't want to do a lot of ....

Old 07-28-2016, 06:10 PM
Guru

true ya know i really dont mind polishing a knife that much IF its a simple blade when i do it i kinda just settle in and go slow with the grinder obviously takes more time so if i was going to do it for some one yeh i would want more money BUT that dagger was alot maybe now it might be a lil easier to do but my skill set wasnt where it is today and trying to keep the double edges (and the handle) symmetrical and even and then that front bolster was a pain and then polishing it on top of everything very much one step foward 2 back thats why i dont think i will do another of them. sometimes tho honestly i have a harder time getting a GOOD satin finish than i feel i would if i just polish it, not all the time but sometimes
Old 07-31-2016, 07:28 PM
Skilled

from the garden this week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0729160831.jpg (86.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 07-31-2016, 07:51 PM

Hey Budden anvil- I finally have my anvil

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...duZzI0Z2wwdXlV

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...VETDlEVFhEMzAw
Old 08-07-2016, 07:18 PM
Skilled

another push dagger idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2380.jpg (143.6 KB, 20 views)
Old 08-07-2016, 07:21 PM
Skilled

and progress on the KITH piece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2381.jpg (162.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 08-07-2016, 07:34 PM
Skilled

peppers for ray.

Reapers... *oh god kill me now hot
Chupetinho... *jalapeno- cayenne hot
and Aji Dulce... *baby food hot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2372.jpg (310.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2373.jpg (321.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2376.jpg (317.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 08-07-2016, 07:47 PM
Guru

Tags
1084, 440c, bee, blade, blades, boot, boot knife, design, forge, forging, grinder, hammer, hawk, knife, knife making, knives, made, mokume, pins, products, project, sharpening, steel, tang, tomahawk