MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 05-28-2008, 08:25 PM
Skilled

2008 "Blade" show

Anybody going? I'll be there Friday and half a day on Saturday. If you are planning on attending, please stop by Perry Miller's table and say "hey". At the Saturday morning meeting Scott and myself will take on a Q&A and I have some "way-cool" stuff to introduce. I hope to see ya'll there. Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 05-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Steel Addict

I would love to, but I am chained to a desk up in New York & can't get away

Old 06-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Skilled

He's baaaaaack!

What a show and what a whirlwind!! I got in last night and am still on the coffee this morning. For those who know me you will know I am a very early riser and for me to be drinking coffee at this time of day....Well: Let's just say that 800 miles, 2 days at Blade, including "speaking" engagements, 5 hours of sleep (in a "hotel bed"), and writing orders and rubbing elbows, etc. have left me a little late gettin' everything goin' this morning.
It was fun meeting "Seuss"..face-to-face! Well: His face wasn't that pleasant...but ya'll get the idea. Met his wife. Allan definately married better than she did!
Highlights? I'll have to let ya'll judge that for yourself, but Scotty and I held a "Q&A" session at the RKS meeting. Afterward, although I was very pressed for alloted time, I made several new (and some re-visited) Randall knife announcements. One was the introduction of a special project I have been working on, along with Perry Miller, Gary Randall, Scott Maynard, Greg Gutcher and the usual suspects on for almost a year! The knife is called "The Glades Hunter". You can read my 2 page write-up, prior to "Blade" and "Knives Illustrated" magazines articles on Perry's website, SPACEPORTCUTLERY.com. Pictures of the 2 knives are shown there as well. I'll let Perry fill you in on the status of these knives upon his return from the show, but I would find it very difficult to believe that there will be many "Glades Hunters" left, after this weekend!
Second order of "new" business was the introduction of a new handle material I have had the pleasure of introducing to everyone. Pre-historic, with no natural enemies, the "Musk Ox", or "Musk Oxen", if you prefer yields some absolutely incredible material for knife handles. There are many problems in aquiring it, processing it and bringing it to completion. Gary Randall, Jason and Scott, to the man, have "never" seen it before, and it has never been used on a Randall knife until now!! They, and Michael Randall as well, have placed orders for the material to make up Randall knives....for "THEMSELVES"!!! You know you are dealing with something extremely special, when the Randall shop, being around for 70 years, has never used it before! I will try and get a photo or 2 to someone who can post them soon.
The third order of business was a brief description of my "Stanaback Special" Limited, serial numbered up to 200 total. I brought a list of available serial numbers...and wrote business, between those "Stanabacks" and the Musk Ox orders, all morning yesterday (Saturday)! I still have numbers and a couple of Musk Ox pieces left! Give me a shout if interested.
I picked up some "way-cool" cocobola, buckeye burl and blue stabilized maple to be used for "special" Randall projects. That's about it...A great time, extremely exhausting, pressed the flesh, drove back to Ocala, and...."CRASHED"!! more to come......Best for now, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 06-01-2008, 11:57 PM
Skilled

The Blade show was awesome and I highly recommend it to all of you! This was our first and it did not disappoint.

Finally got to meet Cap after all of these years of blabbing on forums together and I can attest to the fact that his Musk Ox handled Randall is out of this World. I cannot do it justice with a word picture so you'll just have to wait for someone to post a real one. The thing will knock your eye out.

Got to visit with Perry and Marie for a bit ...............always a pleasure. Visited with good friend Mitchell a few times when I could catch him and finally got to meet Bo Blade in person and guess what. He was on the hunt for OLD Randalls. I think he was tracking the scent of one the last time I saw him on Friday. Met one of our newer friends on the forum Mr. Egnew who had captured a nice treasure and was really making the rounds. He's probably the only one I've mentioned who wasn't dead on his feet on Saturday. Youth is a wonderful thing! Tracked down Dr. Jim Lucie and paid a visit and drooled over his case full of Scagels for a bit and showed him the twin of a Scagel he has back in Fruitport. Ran around with friend Chuck for a bit and chatted with my friend Tony Bose off and on during the day. A real gentleman and one heck of a knife maker! Met Scott Maynard for the first time and enjoyed our chat as I knew I would. A class act and a great ambassador for Randall Made knives!

Oh man, I know I'm going to leave someone out. Saw many, many Randalls and thousands of other great knives as well. No telling how many forum guys I met but, being introduced by their given names didn't ring the bell for me sometimes.

So, for all you guys who made Atlanta feel like home for a day, thank you very much and for all who didn't make it this year, I hope to see you there next year.

seuss
Old 06-02-2008, 09:08 AM

Allan, Cap, Jesse, Ron, Mitchell, Perry, Scott and all who attended this year's show. It's great to hear that you all had such a wonderful, if hectic time!

I remember it was a blast when I attended in '05, and I can identify with your enthusiasm.

I hope you folks who have never been get the opportunity to attend one year.

Cheers!

David

Old 06-02-2008, 10:35 AM

Seussbro,

It was really great to meet you and Mrs. Seussbro! Being able to put names with personalities is a wonderful thing.

For those of you whom have never been: Blade is like 6 months worth of e-bay Randalls laid out in front of you with no worries about being sniped at the end. The BEST part of all is the comraderie. It's a great family reunion.

Best,

Ron
Old 06-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Skilled

Photos

If anyone would like to post photos of both my "Stanaback Special, Ltd." and my Model #11-4 1/2" with "Musk Ox", please email me and I'll send the pics via email. Thanks, The "Captain"

Old 06-03-2008, 06:49 AM
jesseegnew

I had a blast at the blade show! I met and ate with some of the best people I have ever known. Big Jim is one funny dude, the Capt is a great guy, Perry Miller will always take the time to help you with anything, David Loomis was as nice as they come and had some cool Narwhale knives, Ron Matthews Mitchell Harrison and Michael Johnson Joe Dorske (Spelling) Mike Webb Burnie Austin Seuss adn Moosehead all have awesome knives and so much knowledge that I will be lucky to absorb 1% of it. For my first blade show I could not have been happier meeting all of these fine gentlemen. Any way here are some knives I took pictures of, only 25% are nice enough to be posted so here we go!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blade show 2008 002 (Medium).jpg (58.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg blade show 2008 006 (Medium).jpg (51.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg blade show 2008 009 (Medium).jpg (55.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg blade show 2008 012 (Medium).jpg (52.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg blade show 2008 019 (Medium).jpg (53.4 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by jesseegnew; 06-03-2008 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:54 AM
jesseegnew

More pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blade show 2008 022 (Medium).jpg (29.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg blade show 2008 023 (Medium).jpg (29.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg blade show 2008 037 (Medium).jpg (29.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg blade show 2008 041 (Medium).jpg (33.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg blade show 2008 126 (Medium).jpg (47.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 06-04-2008, 09:14 AM
Steel Addict

Blade Show finds

I too had a excellent time at the Show. No matter how many years I go( I think this was the 4th), it is great to see old friends, talk knives and see such a variety of knives.

I did purchase a couple. The first is a Low S Model 5, with a Micarta handle. The second is a Bear Camp Special, serial number 1.

I will attempt to attache the pics. If you have never been to the Blade and want to go, start saving you $$ now for next year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20080531_1065.JPG (47.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20080601_1070.JPG (45.5 KB, 13 views)

Old 06-04-2008, 12:56 PM

That's a bunch of cool looking knives guys! Here's a link to one I owned a few years ago and got to buy it back at the Blade Show. Owned it two days this time and it's already gone to a new home. http://www.spaceportcutlery.com/morepics.asp?prodid=223

Perry

Old 06-05-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The "Captain"
If anyone would like to post photos of both my "Stanaback Special, Ltd." and my Model #11-4 1/2" with "Musk Ox", please email me and I'll send the pics via email. Thanks, The "Captain"
Cap,

I have pics of your Special:

Old 06-05-2008, 09:43 AM
Skilled

"Stanaback Special, Ltd."

Thanks Ron,
I have answered this before: "Hey Cap: How does your serial numbered "Stanaback Special" come? "What options can I add to it"? "How many were made"? Are they all gone? Can I pick a serial number or are you running them in order"?....Etc., Etc., Etc.!
A picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks for posting them Ron.

> No other options are available on the "Limited". Lots of options on my regular "Stanaback Special"

> There will be a total of 200 made. I started in the 90's and have not actively pursued finishing this project.

> Serial numbers under one hundred are all gone. I am not making them "in order". You can choose your number from what numbers are left.

>Price: It will change before your knife comes out, but email if interested.

There was a good deal of talk at "Blade" surrounding this model. I thought I would offer them to RKS members and members of this forum, if ya'll do not already have one. A good many do. Anyway: That's the scoop. The good news is that all orders taken on these will be filled from "stock" slots within the next 3 years. They do not count toward your allocated slots! That's it for now. Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Tags
blade, knife, knives