MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 05-12-2005, 08:10 PM

Cool Ain't Life Just Ducky!

Meet Mrs. and Mr. Mal Lard!

Moosehead

Last edited by Moosehead; 04-13-2006 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:22 PM
Steel Addict

Heart wrenching for me Moose. I'm torn. Really like the personality of ducks and their intelligence (they actually duck when shooting at 'em) beautiful creatures. Then,...I also really like roast duck. One of my favorite foods. Looking at your pics, can't decide wether I'm admiring them asthetically or as a gourmet dish...

Old 05-12-2005, 09:23 PM
Steel Addict

Moosehead

But how would you serve tham??
Old 05-12-2005, 10:19 PM

Hey, I have a duck story:

In the early 80's, I lived on the California coast in a town called Aptos. It was a great place, but I had a problem with snails in my garden. They scarfed snail bait with impunity on a regular basis and seemed to multiply like rabbits. I had just about given up hope when a friend mentioned they knew someone who raised "Muscovy" (quackless) ducks, and that these guys were big on escargo. Being pretty desperate, I drove to this place and picked up a fine looking specimen. Within 2 weeks there wasn't a snail to be found except a few that ol' "Webster" had a hard time cracking the shell of (these I helped him with). Soon I found myself searching outside the fenced garden area for his favorite fare. The downside was that he freely deposited on my deck and the stains just would not come out of the wood no matter how hard I tried! He and I got to be pretty good buddies: When I arrived home from work, many times it was he who beat my dog running to me with a wagging tail. Not long after, I moved to another nearby town called Soquel. This place was in the hills and pretty isolated. Every night we could hear coyotes howling and sometimes pretty close. This time my yard wasn't fenced and one morning I found what was left of Webster after a coyote had his way with him. I was heartbroken. The weird thing was that I was doing a lot of duck hunting at the time. I could walk past webster with a bagged limit and not feel the least bit guilty. Somehow my mind differentiated Webster from his wild cousins????

Ron
Old 05-13-2005, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
... can't decide wether (sic) I'm admiring them asthetically or as a gourmet dish
The answer, of course, is "Both!"

Old 05-13-2005, 07:41 PM
Steel Addict

Thats a heart wrenching story Bo!.. Poor Webster! I guess the Coyote figured if you wouldn't eat him , he would..

Hey Texas! your right! woo them, pet them, and eat 'em up! I guess thats why Texas is hell on women and Oxen??? :confused:

Last edited by thewap; 05-13-2005 at 07:50 PM.

Tags
knife