MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 10-27-2004, 04:21 PM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

2004 Fall Hammer-in at Washington, Arkansas

You are cordially invited to join us at the Piney Woods Fall Hammer-in, co-sponsored by Texarkana College and the American Bladesmith Society. The Hammer-in is held at the Bill Moran School of Bladesmithing in Washington, Arkansas (8 miles north of Hope, Arkansas). Tuition is $120 and well worth every penny of it.

The Fall Hammer-in is October 30 & 31, 2004. Classes are 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Here is the schedule:

Blade Forging: Joe Keeslar
Knife Design: James Batson
Metallurgy & Heat Treating: Burt Gaston
Engraving for Knifemakers: Steve Dunn
MS and JS Stamp Discussion: B.R. Hughes, Greg Neely, Mike Williams
Business for Knifemakers: B.R. Hughes
File work techniques: James "Cookie" Cook
Folding Bowie Knives: Boyd Ashworth
Cutting Competition: Jerry Fisk, Greg Neely, Mike Williams
Laminated Damascus: H. Viallon & J.P. Veysseyre (Theirs, France)
Theirs Knifemaking for the Public: Morel, Rimbert, Cognet (Theirs, France)
Presentation of Laminated Damascus Sculpture to the ABS:
-- Rimbert, Morel, Cognet, Veysseyre, Vaillon, & Chambriard
* The last three items shown on the itinerary are classes and a presentation done by French bladesmiths brought over by Mastersmith Joe Keeslar for this event.

Last Minute Addition
Hands-on Forging for Beginners: Terry Primos, Reggie Barker
Scotty Hayes (Texarkana College) called me Tuesday night and asked me to bring up my forge and do the hands-on forging class for beginners again. This has become a main staple of the Hammer-in and I'm certainly honored to do it. Scotty said if possible, to find another smith for the class because these go all day both days. It only took one phone call. A very special thanks to Reggie Barker for agreeing to be an instructor.

This class is not for skilled bladesmiths. It is for beginners. We welcome all collectors and enthusiasts who want to try their hand at forging a blade. In particular we are interested in introducing more young people to the art of the forged blade, both boys and girls. The ladies are more than welcome as well.

We do ask that the guys try to be patient when a youngster is at the forge. They will be our future Masters and instructors. We will also ask that folks limit themselves to one blade. We've had people in the past that wanted to keep coming back, and it's just not fair to the others who want an opportunity to hammer some hot steel.

########

Friday Night Banquet
Friday night, October 29, 2004 at 6:30 p.m. there will be a "Meet The Instructors" banquet at the Western Sizzlin Banquet Room. The cost of the meal will be $12.00 per person which includes food, drink and gratuity.

Saturday Morning Registration
Saturday morning October 30, 2004 at 8:00 a.m. registration begins at "Uncle Al's" tent.

Saturday Lunch
Saturday afternoon you're own your own for lunch, but I highly recommend the wonderful home cooking at William's Tavern across the road from the school. Bring a big appetite.

Saturday Evening Fish Fry
Saturday evening after classes there will be a fish fry on the picnic grounds of William's Tavern.

Sunday Morning Knife Show
Sunday morning before classes begin, there will be a BYOB (Bring Your Own Blade) under Uncle Al's tent. These began as a show and tell time, but through the years became a mini knife show. Collectors, you may have an opportunity to pick up a knife or two from your favorite bladesmiths.

Sunday Afternoon Cutting Competition
Sunday Afternoon at 1:00 p.m. the ABS Cutting Competition will begin. Competitors will need to remember to sign up at registration time on Saturday morning! By now I'm sure everyone knows the specs, but the criteria for the competition knives is the same as the knives for J.S. and M.S. testing. Maximum blade length is 10". Maximum overall length is 15". Maximum blade width is 2". There should be at least one visible pin or bolt securing the handle. A lanyard/thong hole with wrist strap is required for safety. All,knives will be measured and inspected by the judges. Any knife not within the size limits or deemed to be unsafe by the judges will not be allowed in the contest. The judges decision is final.

########

Lodging
Best Western Inn - Hope, Arkansas : (870)-777-9222
Super-Eight Motel - Hope, Arkansas: (870)-777-8601
Days Inn - Hope, Arkansas: (870)-722-1904
1914 School/Bunkhouse - Washington, Arkansas: (870)-983-2684

Click the banner above to visit my website
Old 10-28-2004, 02:42 PM
Steel Addict

Wheeeew! I just finished loading the truck for the trip down there. The mud flaps are draggin a bit...but all the weight sure makes for a cushy ride.

I'm leaving in the morn and should arrive late afternoon....I hope to make the demonstrators dinner...but it's a long trip and lots of construction south of Little Rock. I always seem to hit it about 5:00pm.

CYA there,

Rob

Old 10-31-2004, 05:20 PM
Master

Terry , would love to go but it's quite a trip from Port Huron , Michigan and the wrong time of the year [ hunting season ] . I'm just now recovering from back surgery so that doesn't help either . But give us a report when you return , would like to hear it. Paul

http://www.phforge.com

Tags
forge, forging, knife, knives