MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild Forum

The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild Forum The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild. Raising the general awareness of custom knives and the people who make them.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:45 AM
Master

Send a message via MSN to ArtinNC
Opinion time: How should a knife be labeled by the maker?

Opinion time: How should a knife be labeled by the maker? I copied this from another forum and just want to know your openion.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:30 PM
Enthusiast

Maker's mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtinNC View Post
Opinion time: How should a knife be labeled by the maker? I copied this from another forum and just want to know your openion.
I have used 'Russ Sutton' over 'New Bern, NC' in the shape of a football. I found that it was too big. I now use 'SUTTON' as my mark.

I to think it's important to mark our knives so that down the road it will be easy to find out who made the piece. I meet, often, people who have found a knife with an initial or symbol trying to find out who made without success.

Russ
Old 02-22-2012, 06:49 PM
Steel Addict

I showed the first two knives I have made to a good friend who has been doing it for over 40 years. I asked him to tell me what I did right and what I did wrong. The very first thing he said was "Who made it?". I read on another forum about using PCB etchant to mark the blade but that works in reverse (the ink is not acid etched so you have to box it in sort of a reveal fashion). I also have been thinking about how to mark them.... maybe my last name or my first name initial and last name or a catchy name that I have used for other things I have made.

I am curious to see the replies to this as well.

Robb
Old 02-23-2012, 06:35 AM
Steel Addict

I etch my first initial followed by my last name with my city and state under it. I thought about using a serial type of number on my knives but the only way I have to get them is to use hand held stamps and the quality of hand stamping more than one character and keeping the spaced and lined up is just too much.

Proud member of PETA....People Eating Tasty Animals
There is a place for all of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy!
Old 02-23-2012, 07:20 AM

I think you have to put your name on the knife. Any kind of symbol or nickname and 10 years down the road in outer where ever, somebody is going to pick up the knife , love it and have no idea how to find you. Of corse when dealing with a name like Vanderkolff that get a bit tricky on smaller knives.
Steve

Old 02-23-2012, 08:59 AM
Enthusiast

makers mark

I mark mine with 2 different marks depending on the size of the blade. The larger knives are marked with my name, mark and where I live. The smaller blades just get a three letter mark. I use an electro etcher I made from online plans and stencils I get from a guy in florida.

Tags
blade, knife, knives, maker's mark