MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community

Knife Network Community TKN is all about excellence and sharing info. Our 'other' lives are also filled with stories, events, and opinions. This forum is an opportunity to discuss outside interests, personal experience, things that make us happy and things that don't!

Old 02-19-2009, 07:52 AM
Living Legend

Exclamation I got "The Call"

Hi guys,

Well I will be getting ?the Call? here within the next few days.

In my reserve unit we have been sending people over in the Sandbox each year but they have been ones who volunteered. Well it looks like they ran out of volunteers and two of the guys called up were in bad positions. One is in the police academy and would lose his place. He?d have to start over. Rough.

The other just had a kid last week. The CO asked for hands to take his place and I?m it. Amy, my wife, always said that she would send me over before she would send her brother, a staff in the Marines with kids. So it was my turn to step up. I know that if the situation were reversed (say Amy was critically sick) one of my shipmate would step up.

The CO worked with the Navy to do the name swap. He said they have agreed to it and are doing it. I will be heading over in an administrative position. Not sure which country I will be going to but it will be one of the big three over there. I have a couple months of Army combat training within the next couple months (hey I joined the Navy) and, I hope, I get about a week to say good bye after training.

Now comes the important part ? accessorizing. What type of knife goes with sand? I don?t want to have a fashion faux pas and I wouldn?t want to embarrass the Navy in front of the Army. I also need to pick up a Sport Kilt in Desert camo for the field.

I hope I have enough time to make one to take with me. The only one I have in the works is not really appropriate.

I have a laptop and should have access to the internet so I shouldn?t be too far out of touch from what is going on here. I will try to post pics (as I find out what?s legal). My wife and I are going to be getting Skype (sp?) phones so I will be in contact with home.

Jim

Old 02-19-2009, 08:22 AM

PM sent.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 02-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Enthusiast

God bless you, brother. Keep your head down and eyes open.
Thank you for your service, there are many of us out here who appreciate it very much.
Later,
Iz

Turley Custom Knives
Old 02-19-2009, 09:48 AM
Hall of Famer

Jim,

I don't need to say it, but big kudos to you for volunteering. I know you will be missed here, but stay in touch when you can.

As far as a knife goes, here is what little I know for what it is worth. My brother in law is currently in Afghanistan with the 101st. I made a knife for him before he went over. He had to get special permission from his CO to carry it. Basically, no fixed blades (and as far as I know, no knives at all) are allowed to be carried in compound without special permission. Even then, the blade had to be under 4 inches in length. Knives with longer blades are only allowed to be carried while in active combat in their unit. Any fixed blade has to be in a jump-qualified sheath.

So, you might be better off asking what you will be allowed to carry on you before you start.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Living Legend

Thanks guys,

Well that shoots down anything I make. ####.

I will be in compound the entire time there so no call for a "Rambo"

Jim

Old 02-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Hall of Famer

Jim,
You stay safe. Thank-you for what you do.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:26 PM
Guru

Hmmm....for Iraq, i would go with either a natural canvas micarta or Tan G-10. I think the black is overdone and other colors may clash with the digital camo. For Afghanistan, I think the incorporation of greens into the design works well. The locals like to "bling-ify" rifle stocks and such, so you could do colored liners and such as well.

Stay safe and keep in touch when you can. I'm not too far from your home, if your family needs anything, don't hesitate to point them my direction!

Old 02-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Hall of Famer

My very best wishes to you, Jim. Be sure to keep in touch and post photos when you can.

We'll be praying for your safety.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Steel Addict

thank you and may God bless you
Old 02-19-2009, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck to you, amigo! As Don said, if your family needs anything, give a shout. I'm pretty sure I can find Richardson if I just head up I-45.

I don't know about that kilt thing - they have some very large camel spiders that like to jump up and attach themselves - normally to camels, but in this case, well....

Old 02-20-2009, 05:28 AM
Skilled

Jim good luck to you and thank you for your service. You and your family will be in out prayers.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Master

Jim-
Thank you for your service. You're a lucky man to be blessed with a supportive wife - don't let her forget that while you're gone. It's been a while since I put the BDUs/DCUs on but a very close friend spent 6 months in the box last year. I made him a few toys to take with him - here's the link, it might give you some ideas:
http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=45328
-Dave

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 02-20-2009, 03:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
You're a good man, Drac.

Dammit, they're sending a couple of good friends off soon.

Sure wish this stuff would end.

jloose.com

Old 02-20-2009, 10:10 PM
Steel Addict

Hey Drac, Thanks for your service, takes a good man with a lotta balz to step up like that. Any thing we can do here let me know. Lots of better builders than me in here so no additiond as to toys.
Good luck and take care, come home safe.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:59 PM
Living Legend

Thanks all.

Jim

Tags
forge, knife, knives