MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:10 PM
Steel Addict

wow i just found the The Sheath Making Forum after all this time.wanna show my sheath

hello all well after all this time of posting other places i found this forum.
check out the two sheaths and knifes i just made,and please tell me what you thing,,don"t hold back.
also I need to know how to give the sheaths a nice polish,..

Old 12-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Steel Addict

well i just rounded the corner of the belt loops and i think it looks much better.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:09 PM
Steel Addict

Old 12-18-2009, 11:18 PM
Skilled

Brian , You are a good student & your sheaths have come a long way ! Keep up the good work.

Joe
Old 12-19-2009, 09:27 AM

I really like the molding work. How'd you do that? Some embellishment of the sheathes would add a very nice touch and complement the beautiful knives. Simple basket-weave or other geometric stamps should come out nicely after molding. Carving and tooling might not survive the molding process too well unless you're using heavier leather.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:30 PM
Guru

Well, you said don't hold back so. While the molding looks good, you have a serious design flaw and that is the lack of a welt.I see it as a dealbreaker and just a matter of time before your blade cuts through the leather and /or the stitching.I feel a welt is essential to proper sheathmaking.Also at the junction of your belt loops and the main sheath body should be rounded (cut in an arc) instead of a right angle cut.Since that is an area of alot of flexing, the leather could start tearing at that point.
Your edges could be sanded and burnished a bit more to smooth them up.I hope this helps.Dave
Old 12-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Hall of Famer

I'll throw this out there as well. . .

How long are your belt slots? For a big knife like that, tight slots without much extra room beyond the width of the belt is going to make for a very stiff rig. That's fine if the person is standing or walking. But if that person is getting in and out of a vehicle, on and off a quad, etc., then it could be uncomfortable.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Steel Addict

Nice job on the knives and sheaths, Looks much better with the rounded corners. Thats not a design I would normally use on a knife sheath or pouch of any length, can you sit down in a vehicle or deer stand, ground, etc without it stabbing into the ground? I prefer a large loop on a knife sheath of any size where it will just hang and can be slid up and down or around your belt or tilt when I sit down.

For buffing them out just buff them out with a soft rag after you apply any stain, you can then use some satin shean or super shean or basicly any of the finishes and then I use bag kote most of the time.

Keep up the good work.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

Come see us at Blade show 26BB.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Steel Addict

thank you for all the info,as for the welt I understand,
also he loops are bigger then a 2in belt and i did try them out a little and work very nice standing and work well sitting in a car or dear stand.and it does stick to the body better then i would have thought..I did clean up and sand the edges more..I do think i will make a sheath like that at another time but with some Improvements and tips from other people...please give me more info..

Old 12-21-2009, 07:46 AM
Steel Addict

That design will certainly hold it secure, just like a pancake holster. I've got my personal cell phone case made that way. If you like it and run into any trouble with a longer blade you can always move the belt loops down slightly to keep the point from poking whatever your sitting on and binding up. Provided of course the handle doesn't poke you in the ribs and the knife can still be drawn easily. Try it and see what works, field testing is most of the fun I think. Keep up the good work and show us more.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

Come see us at Blade show 26BB.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:09 AM

Welt?

Excuse me for the lack of proper terminology, but what is a WELT? Is this when an extra layer of leather is sandwiched between the other two on the edge side of the blade?
Old 10-31-2011, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, a welt is a middle layer.

When the blade of the knife pushes into the side of a sheath without a welt, it can reach the threads and cut them. With a welt, the blade will be hitting leather.

Hockley Texas? I spent some time there back in my Tennessee Gas Pipeline days.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:04 AM

Over all, pretty nice work. Use good, quality stains if yo plan to stain. There are several threads about this so hit the "Stickies" and "Search" amenities above. If you want a subtle shine, Tan Kote works well. High shine, maybe Neat-lac (not my favorite). Follow with a good neutral leather wax and buff with clean soft cloth.
Burnishing the edges will make the sheath look more "finished" as well as chasing the edge with a creaser to accent the edge margin and tighten the thread channel around the threads. The square cuts (inside corners) as DC stated will crack with age and use - very good advice there.

Welt - Besides protecting the threads from a sharp blade, the welt acts as a very thick chunk of leather the blade has to cut through to get to your leg. It's usually 4 X as thick as the leather you use for the sheath body. You have already experienced how tough water hardened leather can be to cut just multiply by 4 and try it. Protects you and the knife edge. The addition of the welt will also increase over all sheath stiffness which would allow you to drop back a thickness/weight in you leather and give you even better wet-molding capabilities.

I relaize you have already "tried the ride" a bit, but wear the knife sheath for several days/outings and see if it still "works". Like a new pair of boots...first wear usually feels pretty good, but the 2nd or 3rd mile is the telling.

Also - fill out your profile in more detail. You may find you are very close to some "in-shop, hands-on" interaction with someone who has already learned a bit and will share some knowledge. This is a great place for info no doubt, but one trip to a good shop is worth 100's of trips to this or any forum.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
blade, knife, knives, leather, sheath