MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Factory Knife & Mid-Tech Discussion

Factory Knife & Mid-Tech Discussion What's hot in the industry. General information about factory knives and mid-tech knife products are discussed in here. Tips, maintenance and modifications also... come on in!

Old 07-30-2004, 06:27 PM

What's your favorite NEW knife from Busse and Swamp Rat

Let's start off with a totally non-controversial topic -- there're so many things going on at both Busse and the Swamp I had a hard time deciding which one floats my boat the highest.
I love Jerry's new Custom Shop idea, the new BA and Tanto will light a lot of fires, and I personally love the AD (tho that's by no means 'new' as I type this). Last week I had the chance to do a sheath for a Bog Dog -- a great knife that I thought Marie was going to throw into her kitchen cutlery drawer til I told her it belongs to Kneecleaver. And the Swamp Rat Folder and Tac-Tramp will get some votes unless I miss my guess.
So which of these, or others, get your vote for best addition to the lines? You don't have to own them (yet), or offer to buy them (but I'll bet Jerry and Jennifer would be tickled if you did) -- just log in and vote (early and often )

Mike

Old 07-30-2004, 07:30 PM

No controversy is a good start.

As to what model I like best, I think I'd have to say that it's a model that has yet to be released or been shown to the general public. I know that's not exactly fair.... but all will be made clear in time. :cool:

Beyond that, I'm not really much of a folder guy (although I may well pick up one of the Rat Folders and/or Busse Folders at some point) so, for the time being, based on what's being offered or is on the horizon I'd have to say that I like the Fusion Steel Heart. Preferably with normal (non-magnum) scales. I'm a bit of Steel Heart junkie anyhow and I "need" one to fill out the set.

Old 07-31-2004, 02:26 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to paradiggum
I was lucky enough to be at Blade this year and get my hands on the new line. I find I don't care for the big fusion grips. I prefer the Tac Tramp. Felt more like my SH-E. I am one of the guys that liked the Ergos a lot. I did like the balance on the new fighter. I may snag one of those. The Rat folder is cool. The Busse folder is a freakin tank.
Of course I want a Swamp Rat Mini Spec Ops. It wasn't mentioned in the new line up. For this I blame Porkerson.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:33 AM

PICTURES ----- pictures always welcome. We have a HUMONGOUS storage capacity on KN so don't be shy about posting pics.
Anyone got some good pics of the mythical Folders?

Mike

Old 07-31-2004, 09:11 AM
Registered

All pictures of the Busse folder self destruct before they can be viewed. Ultra hush hush..

There were some of the Swampy Bender floating around.

Will try to find and post.

I do like the new Swampy Satin Rat (Jack). The Satin Jack-size blade with the ADish micarta handle felt like I was born with it in my hand.

For the new Busse line, man, sooo many to chose from. Probably again, the Satin Jack wins, at least in this moment in time. Reminiscent of the SH1. Plenty of blade, right length.

Then, there is the Busse folder. Man oh man.

If you were't at Blade, holy moly...

Gonna be a show stopper.
Old 08-01-2004, 01:01 AM
Registered

Hello everyone,
This looks to be a nice warm place to pop into now and then.

My next rats will be two of the tactical line, the Camp Tramp and the satin Rat in tan. I recon they will make a great combo.

Busse wise, I?ve made my purchase out of the current line, a couple of AD?s. my next that I?m waiting on is the FSH, however long it may take to arrive.
That Busse folder is also high on my priority last as well.

Best of luck to Mike with the new Busse/Swamp Rat forum, I?m sure it is going to be a hit.
Ian.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:36 PM

Here is one I have of the Rat Folder... I have another with no pesky hands to interfere with viewing. I only have it on my hard drive so I can't post it. If you want it, Mike, let me know and I'll send it to you to post.

Old 08-01-2004, 08:25 PM

Thanks Les -- looks like what I'd expect from the Swamp -- solid, no nonsense cuttin' tool, and reasonably priced (just guessing on the price-- anyone know for sure?) I was told by another Rat that this picture is a prototype -- do we think the exaggerated choil will stay as a Rat 'signature, or disappear when it goes into production?
Paradigum -- no holding back now, if there are no pics available, how about giving us a comparison to the Rat folder, based on your first-hand, eyeball on target experience at Blade Liner lock, framer, lockback???? Coated blade, satin, blasted???? INFI, D2, stainless???? Fess up

Mike

Old 08-02-2004, 01:02 PM

Mike, I've not held the Rat Folder but I did spend a good 2 or 3 hours with the Busse Folder at Blade West. This is what I can tell you... the lock mechanism is not in the liner, the blade style I handled was a drop point (however, I am aware of another blade style) made of INFI, the finish was satin, there were no "scales" on it at the time, and it is beefy but not as huge as some of the "other" tactical type folders out there. It felt to me to be more along the lines of a larger Sebenza and will likely carry a similar price tag.

Old 08-02-2004, 02:37 PM

Thanks Les -- seems the stongest lock in the industry is the "information lock" on Jerry's folder
Although I haven't had a chance to handle all of the new line (couldn't make it to Blade ) I've developed an advanced case of admiraton for the AD. Thinner than other Busse's I've had and handled, and small enough to carry just about anywhere without drawing too much attention, it's a solid little horse of a knife and still a competent slicer. I've takenm a few degrees of bevel off both my Howler and 'Coot to make them better kitchen-cutters, but the AD is just fine as is

Mike

Old 08-02-2004, 05:31 PM

I've not handled the AD as yet. I do however have an Anorexic Badger and since the blade thickness is the same and they were both ground to "zero" edges, they should have the same edge geometry... and on that basis, I agree with your assessment of the slicing capabity that particular combination possesses.

Old 08-02-2004, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtMike
Thanks Les -- seems the stongest lock in the industry is the "information lock" on Jerry's folder

Mike
:cool:

Yeah... well. I told Jerry I wouldn't leak it, so I won't (and since I got to fondle it for an extended period of time, I can't complain). But, the lock is strong... and that's not the only "cool factor" feature in there either. Look carefully at the set screws on the Rat Folder

Last edited by SpearHead; 08-02-2004 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:47 PM
Registered

Thank you Mike for pointing me over here! I needed another venue for learning and sharing. I am new to the world of the REALLY awesome knives. I recently got to check out a friends Ratweiler and just received my Busse Natural Outlaw - FAT and both are amazing blades. I got the Magnum handles on my NO and wasn't sure about them at first. These handles are REALLY growing on me and I am glad I upgraded. I think I like both my NO and the Ratweiler about the same, but for slightly different reasons. You can't go wrong with either. I did just order a Swamp Rat folder (and yes they got the extra $10 out of me for the LE. While I still view the Busse folder as "vaporware"...I have to admit it is an automatic purchase . The FSH could be the coolest looking knife ever, but I think I will just make due with the 7" of Outlaw.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:40 PM
Registered

I really like the idea of a folding Rat, so I have placed an order for one of the LE Rat traps!
Otherwise, I like my new satin rat a lot, though I am not sure how new it is to the line up. The SR is my favorite big blade, at this moment. Of course, I did have to upgrade that awesome cardboard sheath it came with....

Last edited by rooikat; 10-18-2004 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:04 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to leatherbender Send a message via MSN to leatherbender Send a message via Yahoo to leatherbender
The Satin Rat they are referring to is a different knife than your Satin Battle Rat. The Satin Rat is the Swamps answer to the Satin Jack. Ever since the original Satin Jack was discontinued theres been a call for such an intermediate blade from the Swamp.

Hope this helps clear the waters, those Rats tend to mud it up quite a bit eh?

Tags
blade, knife, knives, switchblade