MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:40 PM
Registered

First kit purchased

I bought a fixed knife kit from knifekits.com

I scoured YouTube looking for some step by step help/instruction, but couldn't find anything that useful.

I'm excited to get this started, but don't want to butcher my first one.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-21-2012, 09:21 PM
Skilled

Which one did you get?
Old 10-22-2012, 09:30 AM
Enthusiast

Ohh Anthony is right , which one, full tang or hidden tang?

I dont know you or your skill level , so dont say "well Dohhh"

Excelent..... lets get started. Im going to assume you got a full tang blade, with no bolsters.
Safety FIRST , get some blue tape and tape off the blade , dont get it too close to the ricaso area.
Choose a good handle material , something you can sand easily , that is between 1/4" and 3/8" thick.
Get some 80 and 120 grit sandpaper , and find a good flat surface.
Now sand one side of each handle scale down flat. It needs to be as flat as posible.
( I'm going to assume that you have a drill press , this is important )
Position your blade on the scale so you have plenty of material in the ricasso area.
Mark and drill ONE pin hole. Now cut all of your pins and round the ends nice and smooth.
Put the one pin in the blade and scale and drill ONE more hole , put a pin in it and repeat untill all holes are drilled. Then take a marker and draw around the handle, on the scale.
( If you dont have a drillpress the holes will NOT be straight and may cause a problem in the future )
Now take the one scale with all of the holes and place it ontop of the scale with no holes.
Drill one hole and put a pin in it, repeat untill all holes are drilled.
Put the scale with no drawing on the blade and put a couple pins in it and mark around the blade.
( hopefully you have a Dremel )
Use the Dremel to "roughen" up the inside of the scale where it meets the handle. STAY inside the lines , LOL
Now shape each scale to the line
NOTE : you wont have a line in the ricasso area, you will have to draw that one in by hand.
Now pin the scales together and use a clamp of some sort. Sand the ricasso area of the scales to match, go ahead and take them to a finish sanding grit like 600 , polish them also.
Get a good quality 30 min epoxy like Devcon ( some are gona say "Ohh no use Acraglass " , it is better , but reg epoxy is fine in this application )
Now make sure everything is clean anad free from dust and oils ,get everything laid out on a rag infront of you. The blade , pins , scales , clamps , epoxy , extra rags.
Mix the epoxy and spread it on one scale, place the blade on that scale and spread it on the other one. Place the second scale on the blade. Dip each pin in the epoxy and place in each hole. Now clamp it all together , it needs to be tight enough to squeeze the epoxy out , but not ULTRA tight. If the epoxy is too thin in the joint, it cant do its job.
Now take an extra rag and clean off the ricasso area real good , dont worry about the rest of it.
Wait the recommended time for the epoxy to dry.....no really you gota wait.
Now just sand the scales down to the blade all the way around.
NOTE: If your using a powered sander be carefull and dont get the TANG OR THE PINS TOO HOT. this will weaken the epoxy, and cause "halos" around your pins.
Finish the handles to the desired finish , depending on the material up to 1200 grit , then polish.

One thing I see alot of new makers do is they dont take enough of the corners off the handles.
Make sure the handle is rounded , and feels comfortable in your hand BEFORE you get above 80 grit.

Dont get in a hurry , take your time and you WILL be rewarded in the end.

Hope this helps

Dwane

Work Smarter Not Harder

www.OliverKnives.com
Old 10-24-2012, 03:45 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Taz575 Send a message via Yahoo to Taz575
I did this picture tutorial of how I do a full tang knife:
http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f105/ma...utorial-25048/
Old 10-24-2012, 09:04 AM
Administrator

You can't get much better help than Dwane and Taz, but If you're still having trouble, post your model and we'll link the instructions for you.

Welcome to the addiction!!!

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 10-26-2012, 03:38 AM
Banned

I want one also. of course i want to change it's cover who can help me with this ? What do you offer KNAdmin ?

Tags
blade, bolsters, drill, fixed blade, flat, full tang, handle, hidden, hot, instruction, kit, knife, knife kit, make, material, pins, polish, post, press, sand, scales, step by step, surface, tang