MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:16 PM

DDR3-BL conversion

Just got mine in the mail today, and wanted to say it went together like butter. I did burn up one drill bit, but luckilly I'd ordered a second. I used oil and went slow, stopping frequently to clean out the debris with a magnetized needle, adding another drop of oil, and resuming the drilling. Took all of about 20 minutes to drill the hole, and the basic kit goes together in about 10 more. I still need to make some handle scales, but all in all I'm pretty stoked (and yes, I did research the knife laws here in California )
Next I want to try the Super Squirt 2.0. Thanks K-Net for all the info posted here.
Ek İş arayanlara mükemmel bir site: www.ekisverenler.com
Ek İş - İş Bul - Evde Ek İş
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blade drill.jpg (183.5 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg assembled.jpg (160.7 KB, 226 views)

Last edited by thereefgeek; 05-26-2023 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:23 PM

just got my super squirt 2.0 today, and it was like butter, i got the TiN version, and the mark for the hole is almost deep enough as it is. you cant go with the MAXX or MEGA spring in .375. i am goin to be using the .375 MAXX, and make the hole in the bolster a little deeper, it lacks around .010 from setting flush w/o the supplied nylon washer
Old 09-25-2010, 01:24 PM

I got a little more work done on the handle this week. I had some Tigerwood left over from another project and cut a pair of book matched scales with the dark grained stripe running down the sides. I decided to go with the superglue finish and have a bit more sanding and buffing to do still yet, but so far I'm pleased with the results. I should have ordered the step drill for the 2-56 button head screws, but instead I used a 5/64" and 9/64" for the shank and countersink holes. After milling on a few sets and finally getting a pair that fit properly, it might actually have been worth it timewise to just pay the $25 for a set from Knifekits Ek İş arayanlara mükemmel bir site: www.ekisverenler.com
Ek İş - İş Bul - Evde Ek İş
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scales.jpg (173.9 KB, 172 views)

Last edited by thereefgeek; 05-26-2023 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Rich,

Nice job on keeping the centerline of your scales lined up. It looks great!

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 10-03-2010, 06:43 PM

Thanks, I still need to mount a pocket clip but the drill & tap kit is on back order.
I did 4 or 5 coats of superglue on the scales, sanding to 400 in between, and buffed with a dry wheel.
After I took the pictures below I noticed the small smudge up by the front screw, so I did 2 more coats and re-buffed them
All in all I'm pretty pleased with my first folding kit, and the thumb stud was only installed for the photos

Last edited by thereefgeek; 10-03-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:37 AM

Excellent job on the DDR3-BL Rich . I like the looks of the stripe in the Tigerwood.

I'm going to "bite the bullet" and order the Squirt today. Knifekits is out of stock on the 3/64" bit for the conversion so I'm going to have to shop local and see if I can locate one.

Has any one completed a Squirt yet and care to post some pictures?

Mike
Old 12-11-2010, 02:08 PM

yeah, i completed 1 but am greatly disappointed that ckk doesnt sell a coil that actually fits it. i ended up drilling it a little and cutting 1 wrap from a maxx spring to make it work. all and all a great little knife but seems priced a little high for what you get, i did mine as a gift, and love the size, but ended up round $100 for knife, spring, drill bit and scales. but the quality is top notch typical of a Darrel Ralph designed kit

i get to see the recipient of it over new years and will try and get some pics
Old 03-24-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radeo View Post
yeah, i completed 1 but am greatly disappointed that ckk doesnt sell a coil that actually fits it. i ended up drilling it a little and cutting 1 wrap from a maxx spring to make it work. all and all a great little knife but seems priced a little high for what you get, i did mine as a gift, and love the size, but ended up round $100 for knife, spring, drill bit and scales. but the quality is top notch typical of a Darrel Ralph designed kit

i get to see the recipient of it over new years and will try and get some pics
If your talking about the SS2.0, the 3/8" MAXX torque spring fits perfectly without any mods.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:25 PM
Registered

Ddr3-bl

Hi Rich. I got my kit the other day. My problem is I don't have any indication where to drill the hole. Nothing nada. Can you offer any advise. Thanks Dave Fish
Old 12-31-2016, 10:05 PM

same boat

I got my DDR3BL kit for Christmas and I am in the same boat. I can take a really good SWAG at it but I would rather see actual hole location dimensions. Anyone have them?
Old 04-26-2017, 03:18 PM
Administrator

This is simple to figure out for most coil fired designs. Mark the location on the blade where the spring will have about 10%-15% pre-load on it in the open position. Use a carbide spade drill to create the hole. Make sure you employ plenty of oil when drilling...and don't force it. Apply even pressure and let the drill do the work.

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC

Tags
apply, blade, chris, christmas, ckk, ddr3, drill, forge, kit, knife, make, mount, post, problem, scales, simple