MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:08 AM

Release button specs on Mod 1-A

Another newbie question for the community, or anyone with experience with the Mod 1-A kit from CKK. This kit went together very well, and I was able to avoid any of the issues I'd read about in previous postings... After a quick deburring, polishing, and easy assembly, a few minutes' tuning had the knife working and feeling great... Almost too easy!

Contrary to the included picture-guide of the assembled parts, my kit's button release doesn't have any fastener or screw to attach it to the frame lock. It simply pokes through the frame to depress the lock, and is prevented from falling out by the left scale. It works reliably, but, in the blade closed position, the button simply rattles loosely inside the knife. (When the blade is open, the liner spring pushes the button out and against the scale, and can't rattle.)

Is this a different button part than previously spec'd? Is it simply an incorrect part? How could I secure this button shaft to the frame spring? I don't want to simply glue / solder it in place as that would greatly complicate future disassembly, and I don't have the tools to put threads on such a tiny part...

Thanks for any advice!
Old 07-02-2010, 03:52 AM

Well, I'm not sure if others have had this problem or solved it somehow... I decided to assemble and tune this knife as best I could, and then used super glue to hold the button to the frame lock. Surprisingly, the glued joint isn't as brittle as I expected and has lasted through 100 cycles already without loosening. It still complicates future disassemble, but at least re-securing the joint with superglue would be easy!
Old 07-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Enthusiast

greenunavega -

Great to see you taking the plunge and getting your kits assembled. You're ahead of me. Keep us posted on what you're up to.

Eric

Tags
blade, button release, ckk, fastener, kit, kits, knife, mod1-a, solder