MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Registered

Is there just a good basic folder tutorial for the newb?

I'm a newbie with a trapper kit from knifekits.com. I basically understand how to slap it together, but I want to do a nice job of it. I'm not quite sure about any fitting of the springs. Also, what kind of finishing on the liners should be done? file/polish everything up before assembly and peen it together? How do you peen it together? Small punches?

Anyways, you can see where I'm going? Is there a basic tutorial for the newb?
Old 02-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Master

BBQ- First welcome! The trrapper you're putting together is basically a double bladed slip joint. I would suggest two reads for you initially. They are both how to build a slipjoint from scratch, but since you have a kit just skip forward to the information you need. This first is Chris Crawford's slipjoint tutorial here: http://chriscrawfordknives.com/#/sli...ife/4535414914 The second is the Texas toothpick build thread in the folding knife forum here :http://knifenetwork.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Good luck and post more questions as you have them. For the folder questions you might get better answers from the guys that hang out in the folding knife forum.
-Dave

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 02-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Registered

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2010, 07:48 PM
Master

Send a message via ICQ to Txcwboy
I bought his DVDs and they are really good.

Dave
Old 03-29-2010, 05:35 PM
Skilled

I agree with Dave on the Chris Crawford DVDs . They are excellent & cover the subject better than other slipjoint DVD's that I have seen .

Joe
Old 04-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Master

Send a message via ICQ to Txcwboy
The only problem with Chris Crawfords DVD is he uses a pattern he already has. So if you dont have one to copy, it can be tricky. Ive been hunting the gun shows for a small CHEAP slipjoint to use as a pattern and they are all $ or suck !

Dave

Tags
folder, folding knife, hunting, kit, knife, pocketknife