MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:41 PM
Steel Addict

Cocbolo?

Hello,
I am working on a cocobolo handle and I keep seeing what look like scratches or tears in the wood. I have gone back to 150 grit all the way to 600 a couple of times and they don't go away. Could these be part of the grain of the wood? I have also sealed the wood twice and it is now smooth as can be. I plan to finish with tru oil as soon as I can.
Any advice and suggestions?
The handle is on a EVN4N1.
Thanks.
Fred
Old 07-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Are you sanding only with the grain of the wood?

Old 07-25-2009, 09:58 AM
Steel Addict

TexasJack,
I have sanded across the grain when i took the bulk off. I the switched to sanding with the grain from 220 to 800. I then sealed it with sanding sealer twice and sanded between coats. Thats when I saw the marks that run with the direction of the grain. I took it down to 220 again through 600 and I resealed it. They were still there. I could not feel anything when I run my fingernail over the wood. I am starting to think that it is part of the grain of these handles. I took it back to 800 and put TruOil on it. I will continue on it today.
Thanks for the response and interest.
Regards,
Fred
Old 01-22-2011, 09:34 AM
Master

This is a bit late but if anyone still cares to know, it is part of the grain of the wood. I dont recall cocobolo being that bad about it, but they are called vessels. They are structures in decidious (angiosperm) species that carry water up the tree. Some species like wenge have some serious intense vessels. One interesting note, you can identify a wood as gymnosperm (conifer) or angiosperm (decidious) by looking at the radial cut (or other side if its extreme) and if there are tiny holes, it is angiosperm. There are even two classification within angiosperms, I forget what they are called, but one has fewer but huge vessels like oak, and others have more but smaller like maple.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Steel Addict

Cpt-Jens,
Thanks for the reply. I have not been here for a while. Sorry about the slow response.
Fred
Old 12-19-2014, 03:56 AM
Banned

I used to have a site marked that a guy takes this kits and does a WIP pictorial on. He did real nice work too. Anyone know who I am talking about ? It was the butter fly kits . Showed how to drill them and showed how to do the inserts. I cant find it anymore.

Tags
collecting, drill, forge, how to, kits, leather