MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:23 AM
Administrator

Duncan,

I just got back from our shop. I went there after working in our main offices this evening and I re-pulled the order to do a manual check on the weight. I didn't fully pack it, but laid everything on the scales, with the exception of the tape and packing paper. It added up to 42.2 pounds. I also found another error, where I had told you earlier that we add 1 pound to the base weight to cover the packing materials. Jonathan Musick, who ran your label, told me that we only add 1/2 pound for standard overage. I can't reprint the label, as our system has already closed the shipment, but I did verify the printed weight from what we see on the shipping summary for that day. It gives the label weight next to the method and delivery status. We use it to audit our bill at the end of the cycle.

Do you still have the box laying around, by chance? If so, I was wondering if you could photograph the messed up tape end on it (and hopefully the label) and send it to us via e-mail? I just e-mailed our rep and requested that they come by tomorrow and check this out for us. If I had the image, I would show them how they treated the box, and this thread on the weight, and build a case for them to audit our shipments from that cycle.

In any event, I'm going to get them to eat your shipment cost. They won't pay for the damage, unless something went missing, but they will pay for the shipment based on a mistake that they caused. I've got your items pulled and setting on the shelf. They can verify the weight with their own eyes when they get here. I haven't tracked down the other 3 lbs, but I suspect that rounding in the cart has added up to the overage, based on the number of items. I'm going to have one of our managers weight the individual items tomorrow and fix the weights in the cart where needed. To be honest, we only test the individual weights when we do inventory each year. I suspect that it's newly added items that have caused it.

I'll let our manager contact you tomorrow on the refund. He can handle it directly for you then.

I apologize for the error. If I can help any further, please let me know!

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 01-27-2012, 05:21 AM
Enthusiast

HI Alex

I weighed the package with box at 34lbs which pretty much matches the weight on the shipping info
I did have to put the stuff back together as i had already opened and checked it but pretty sure if I missed something it was only a small bag of screws the main weight was all the Kydex

did you mean you weighed in at 32.2 Lbs

I dont have the box and i had already opened it etc so no evidence As i said nothing was missing or damaged just the tape along one short side had popped I only mentioned it as you asked

just noticed there are a few Items missing of the commercial invoice ( i think) which has the weight at 34.5lbs mostly small stuff of no real weight but 4 ft of .093" holstex would add a few lbs to the paperwork.

ATB

Duncan

Last edited by FGYT; 01-27-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:55 AM
Enthusiast

on a quick check 2 off 12" x 24" 0.080" kydex

your estimator online says is 3.7lbs

my scales make it 2lbs 2oz

whats your computer unit weight for 80 thou Kydex I weigh it at 9oz

(excuse clumsy use of Lbs n oz not used to them in UK any more im ok with inches and thous tho )

even 2 x 12" x 24" of 0.093mm only weighs 2lbs 9oz

as i had 25 sheets of 12" x 24" thast a fair bit of weight if the computer is 40% out

ATB

Duncan

Last edited by FGYT; 01-27-2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:21 PM
Administrator

I'm not sure, Duncan. I've handed this off to my guys in the shop for follow up. They're closer to the products and can do it on the fly. I've instructed them to check all of the weights with a separate set of scales. We're going to cross check the shipping scales, but I've asked them to take all of the weights to the 1000's, instead of rounding off to the 100's. I've got to believe that the issue is in the small items, or in the newer stuff that we've just added. The problem with the shipping scales is that USPS only deals in pounds and Fedex deals in 100th's, but not ounces and grams. That's why I didn't get into the details with Andy on the numbers he was quoting. USPS will set the rate for a pound, even though the item may only weigh a gram. My guys are instructed to round down, where it applies.

Thanks for pointing this out. We'll get you fixed up right away. I'm hoping to get a new set of scales out of the deal. I'm looking at the Fedex merchant site and they have a much better looking scale than the one they gave us. Ours is about 3 years old, so it's probably time for a new one any way.

Let me know if I can help any further.

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 01-28-2012, 01:32 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNAdmin View Post
I'm not sure, Duncan. I've handed this off to my guys in the shop for follow up. They're closer to the products and can do it on the fly. I've instructed them to check all of the weights with a separate set of scales. We're going to cross check the shipping scales, but I've asked them to take all of the weights to the 1000's, instead of rounding off to the 100's. I've got to believe that the issue is in the small items, or in the newer stuff that we've just added. The problem with the shipping scales is that USPS only deals in pounds and Fedex deals in 100th's, but not ounces and grams. That's why I didn't get into the details with Andy on the numbers he was quoting. USPS will set the rate for a pound, even though the item may only weigh a gram. My guys are instructed to round down, where it applies.

Thanks for pointing this out. We'll get you fixed up right away. I'm hoping to get a new set of scales out of the deal. I'm looking at the Fedex merchant site and they have a much better looking scale than the one they gave us. Ours is about 3 years old, so it's probably time for a new one any way.

Let me know if I can help any further.

Alex

Thanks Alex

JM has been in touch so im sure it will all be sorted

look fwds to buying more stuff ( cant have enough

ATB

Duncan
Old 02-13-2012, 02:47 AM
Enthusiast

all sorted thanks to

Alex and JM

Amazing as I didn't actually come on here with a problem I was Googling looking for Holstex info and only mentioned that shipping was high in this tread

Cheers guys

ATB

Duncan
Old 02-13-2012, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Hi Duncan,

Along with checking the weights of our inventory again, we have worked a new deal with our shippers to start using the new post feature that I mentioned. My guys are reporting that it's comparable to parcel post in price for the average shipment, but offers insurance and tracking (albeit multiple tracking numbers per delivery).

Thanks for the update. Next, I'll go have a meeting with Googlebot to straighten out the other issue.

Let me know if you ever need me!!!

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC

Tags
art, auto, first post, forge, handle, hobby, holstex, image, kit, kits, knife, knife kit, knife making, knifekits.com, knifemaker, knives, kydex, material, post, press, scales, switchblade