MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:11 AM
Guru

As far as I know there has be NO change to the knife laws in georgia so can someone please tell me what this 'ever changing knife law is and quote the law reference number so I can look it up?

But steel - cold steel is master of them all.
Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)
Old 04-07-2009, 01:33 PM

I was jsut about to order the DDR-BL when I found out the holes were driled for the spring. Apparently I'm too late, which is sad. I was very interested in the kit, but dont have the means to drill my own hole.

I guess I will have to look elsewhere for a similar kit... which is sad, since I own one of the original Typhoon balisongs (when the blade came so sharp I had little 'paper' cuts all over my fingers before knowing).. the quality of that knife is amazing. And I would NEVER use a trainer blade..its like asking to get bad habits when using one.

Whats sad is.. now I have no reason to buy knifekit's 2 most expensive knife kits. And those were the 2 I was most interested in.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Enthusiast

Missing a real opportunity

This was your chance to look up a knife maker in your area and spend some time
visiting his shop and you and him drill those holes. You can try and make a negetive
out of the smallest of problems or you can use them as learning tools. Its Your
choice. I perfur to solve obstacles and reach higher in my craft.

Just one note; Knife Kits is the top dog and the only one out their selling the quality and service we come to exspect. You put your money in any other kits and you'll be going
down hill. Just my two cents. I'm not trying to tear you down. I would be happy if I
could be the one to help you grow and learn in the knife world. Stick with us and
don't give up. Jim
Old 04-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Enthusiast

What I can't figure is if knife kits wants to cut costs, why don't they stop drilling holes for thumbstuds?.I've never liked them. personally I can't see their purpose. This knife was designed for folks who wanted the option of converting to an auto ( Daryl said this). In most places ( states or countries) that ban autos, you can still buy stuff to make them and still be within the law......sure maybe You could drill holes in a blade but folks who buy kits don't want that hassle.....I like the DDR3 BL.......it took me an age to make it, and I must admit it doesn't look as hot as some other people's........because I'm not a knife maker.......and I'm not going to a knifemaker just to show me how to drill holes.he can show me how to make frames and heat treat and what not...........but then there would be no need for kits, would there?
You can't argue with customers.............WHY???.....because they then cease to be customers

Old 04-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Guru

I ment to post earlier but been tied up with other things.

Knifekits does indeed have some good quality products.

As for the hole, I get different results depending on how I look at the situation, one way it seems crazy, another it seems ok and another seems not a good idea to not drill them.

I can see a potential liability issue but so far nothing on that has came to light and it seems more hype and fear mongering than reality. A company should be more fearful of not being able to get spare parts than having to worry about if they drilled a very difficult hole.

Have no fear about that hole, you can get replacement blades made or drill the hole yourself or find someone who would drill it for you. Either option would work.

These are replacements I had made for the DDR3, they do require some minor fit but all works out good in the end. (note the damascus blades are not from knife kits)

Ed

But steel - cold steel is master of them all.
Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)
Old 04-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Steel Addict

I bought got two DDR3 BL kits when they first came out. I ordered the washers that were recommended for them. They didn't fit and when I asked about them at the Blade Show I was told you didn't use them in those kits. I've also noticed that whenever you have to do something to a kit you have the tool necessary to do it, usually for more then you can buy it elsewhere. I gave the kits away. I make my own knives anyway, strictly stock removal.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:37 AM
Enthusiast

Bump. I take it this spring hole is still an issue for the DDR3-BL?

Also, any suggested tutorials or guides for building this knife would be great. I have not been able to find any with pictures that show. And of course googling is a nightmare due to that #### "dance dance revolution" game.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:12 AM

Yap just order one to replace one I lost. Was VERY disappointed that the hole wasn't drilled. Let alone marked. Then they don't offer the separated Blade any more. I am still temped to ship it back.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:31 PM
Registered

Where do I drill the darn hole. I dont have any indication where to drill it. I just got my kit from knifekits the other day. Thanks Dave Fish
Old 04-26-2017, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Guys,

There are a number of reasons that we don't pre-drill the hole. But the biggest reason is that many of our customers like to set their own pre-load value on the spring. Because the position holes would be virtually next to the pre-drilled hole, it would weaken the area where you're drilling the new position at.

To determine the hole placement you want, add 10%-15% pre-load on the blade in the open position. When drilling the hole, use a 3/16" carbide spade drill. The blades are hardened, so use plenty of oil and go slow. Let the drill do the work and you won't snap the bit (they're tiny). I have over 20 holes on one bit, so it can be done without annealing the blade first, if you go slow (and use oil).

If you still have questions, call us and we'll walk you through the process on the phone. It's easy!!!!

877-255-6433
(or use the contact form on the site - https://www.knifekits.com/vcom/contact_us.php )

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 04-26-2017, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Added ---

If the coil diameter is .500 inch, the position of the hole will be on the circle created around the center of the pivot at a radius of 1/2 the diameter (or .250 inch).

If the coil tip for the blade hole position is at 0 degrees at rest, measure the position the tip would be at 36 degrees and drill it (for 10% pre-load). On a clock, if the tip of a right-hand coil spring was at 12:00, put the hole between 1:30 and 2:30 (depending on load preference) Remember, overloaded springs do not last as long, but they fire hard when new. (vice-versa on less load)

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC

Tags
annealing, back, balisong, bee, blade, building, butterfly knife, coil spring, ddr3, drill, easy, fire, hand, kit, knife, knifekits, knifekits.com, knives, pivot, show, switchblade, tiny