MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:34 AM
Registered

Knife Making Kits

Hello,

From the name of the thread you can tell i am very green when it comes to making knives. I have heard that a good way to start is by purchasing a kit and working your way up through this type of "build by numbers" style of knife making.

Does anyone have any suggestions as so where i can get a good knife making kit?

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.
References:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/...g-kits.830536/

website builder software
Old 10-11-2017, 01:41 PM
Enthusiast

Going with the kits is certainly the easiest way to start out, you get to skip the harder aspects and jump straight to making it look pretty. Pretty fun to boot. As far as where to buy goes, check out http://usaknifemaker.com. They're my personal favorite knifemakers supply place, the prices do tend to be a little higher than average, but the selection it good and the website is actually well designed and informative of all the products, a rarity for knife supply houses for some reason.

It should also be said that finding a complete kit for a fixed blade knife is a bit of a rarity. Usually you'll but the knife blade, then whatever handle scale material and pins and do the fit-up for those yourself. Nothing complicated, just cutting to shape, but not quite as simple as screwing everything together. Still a fun project though.

If you've never made a blade before, I'd go for a simple, full-tang blank like this:
http://usaknifemaker.com/knife-blade...40c-steel.html
And whatever color of G10 tickles your dance for the handle material. I'd go with g10 over wood because for my money the g10 is actually easier to work with. Not that wood is hard by any means, but the finishing aspects can get confusing, especially if you've not done much woodworking. G10 you just file/grind to shape, sand to 220 and you're good

Tags
art, blade, build, fixed blade, handle, hunting, hunting knife, kit, kits, knife, knife making, knives, making, material, pins, project, software, steel, supply, tang, tool, video