MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Enthusiast

Any thoughts on a kit to give as a gift?

A few buddies and I took our CHL together last year and I was thinking of maybe putting a few kits together to give them this year to mark the occasion. I like the idea of a DDR3 but know it's probably going to be a little big for them to want to carry all of the time. A DDR2 isn't quite big enough for what I'm looking for and GPC's aren't quite the look I'm going for. I loved the idea of the DDR2.5 but have given up waiting on them. Any suggestions of where I can find a kit w/ more of a tactical look that's size is between a DDR3 & a DDR2?

Thanks for any suggestions or thougths.

Eric

Old 03-01-2010, 06:53 PM

Hi Eric,

I applaud your wishes. Great gift!

My first kit was built about 6 or 7 years ago, and it was the 'little' DDR2. I made it from maroon micarta. For whatever reason the size is small enough to pack in my mini jeans pocket (you know the one) and it's unobtrusive enough to be able to use it anywhere without raising eyebrows.

I still use this knife often, and it gets a LOT of service. I have a great DDR3 and it sits on the shelf in comparison.

You might be surprised, and I'll listen to other's suggestions, but this knife has more traction than I would have imagined..

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 03-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Enthusiast

You know Coop I gave the DDR2 w/ tanto point a lot of consideration before dismissing it for fear that it might be a little difficult for them to resharpen. I may just have to give it another look.

Anyone have any experience with the tanto point and want to chime in on the ease of resharpening?

Also anyone know where I might be able to get a little something engraved on them @ a resonalbe price?

Thanks again.
Eric

Old 03-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Master

How about the EV4N1? I've never made one, but I think they look pretty cool. Check it out - http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/produc...oducts_id=1239

-Dave

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 03-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Administrator

The EV4N1 is a very cool design! I have one on my desk. I've seen a couple that would blow your mind, in fact.

If you're looking for inspiration, do a lookup for the one's posted here posted by Dennis Greenbaum and Frank Mongelli. Those are excellent!!

We just launched 2 new folders this week. We also have a top-secret design coming out in May.

Tired of waiting on the DDR2.5?
Sorry, Guys!!!

We can't preview knives like we used to. These days, we just launch them out of the blue. If we preview anything now, it'll be knocked off before we can launch it... by Americans, even! It's sad!

I'll show you how we do it now...

ps- It's 5" inches overall, and thin too!

Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spanner_screws_sample_600.jpg (32.4 KB, 32 views)

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 03-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Steel Addict

I agree with Coop, the DDR2 is the one that came to mind when I first saw this post.

Great small knife. My favorite kit yet. I'm really partial to it.

Charlie
Old 03-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Enthusiast

Now you see Alex there you go wetting my appetite again. It'll probably have to wait a few months any way to start this project until the employment situation fixes itself.

Thanks to all for the replies & suggestions.

Eric

Old 09-17-2010, 10:57 AM

i have givin away several, 2 ddr2's well loved by the recipiants, 1 ddr3 loved by its recipiant, the small fillet knife, 2 of the lagoulie folders, and i am currently working on my first of several super squirt 2.0's for its size, it is currently my personal favorite. i will edc it, and a ddr3 both in auto
Old 01-12-2015, 12:44 AM
Banned

We can't preview knives like we used to. These days, we just launch them out of the blue. If we preview anything now, it'll be knocked off before we can launch it... by Americans, even! It's sad!

_____

MEHAK

Tags
kit, kits, knife, knives, metal, tactical, white