MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:00 AM
Skilled

Wife Approved A New Grinder, but...

Hello, I am a newbie, my intro is below. But last night my wife approved the purchase of a new belt grinder to start off in my long anticipated knife making venture, but we are limited $800 max. We are rebuilding a major part of our house slowly when we have the time and money, about 2-3 years. No room beyond $800. No negotiating. I was lucky to get that.

I had planned on the Kalamazoo 1SM 1" x 42" with the Horizontal Finishing Attachment II and the Swing Plate Assembly. About $515 shipped. But everybody here always recommends a 2" x 72". I found the Kalamazoo 2FS72M 2" x 72" as the only affordable 2" x 72" that was in my range. I have researched the Coote and others, build it yourself but I have no time or desire to figure everything out and build my own.

I really should want a variable speed 2" x 72". But those are $2600+. Will have to wait. But, I have read where you can mount step pulleys to grinders and make them 2-3 different speeds. That sounds like an option I can do in the future. I am also in the process of making a gas forge and looking for an anvil. I really want to forge my own blades and go that route. I really want to make big fighters/ military knives with convex grinds. So, my question is which of those 2 grinders should I get? Can I install step pulleys on either of these in the future? Thanks in advance, you guys are so knowledgeable and willing to help.

I am a professional meat cutter by trade for a large corporation. I did 12 years in the USMC. Gulf War veteran. VFW member. Bad knife collector since I use all my knives. Love anything convex or Scagel style. Like large Bowie, camp knives and fighters. Married, no kids. Wife said she will divorce me if I get rid of the Harley (Electra Glide). Also love guns and lifting weights. Born Canadian and now reside in Kansas City, Missouri. Semper Fi.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Hall of Famer

I definitely recommend against the 1X42" grinder for making anything over a three inch blade. The problem with the Kalamazoo 2X72" grinder is that the 1/2hp motor is seriously under powered. Neither is very flexible.

I would recommend that you give the Coote another look. I would purchase the 2X6X48" grinder before I would buy either of the above and, for $42 more, the 2X6X72" model would be better. You can find a wider variety of premium belts in 2X72". You will need to get an electric motor with a sealed case rated for continuous operation with a minimum of 1hp. Motors with a 1.5hp rating at 110v are pretty easy to find and have more power.

You could also look for used motors to keep the price down. I found a motor off an old pressure washer on Ebay. The problem with it was that it runs at 3750rpm which is too fast for a step pulley with my 10" drive wheel but I was able to step down the speed with a small pulley on the motor and a large pulley on the drive wheel. However, I believe a 3800rpm motor will work with the 6" drive wheel on the Coote. knowing what I know now I sort of wish that I had saved myself a little money by getting the 6" drive wheel on my machine instead of the 10". I've kind of gotten away from the idea of doing a hollow grind which still can be done with a 6" drive wheel. Some just think that it's easier with an 8 or 10 inch wheel but the 6" would be better for grinding curved surfaces.

If you get a Coote with an 8 or 10 inch drive wheel and want to use a step pulley you will need to look for a motor that turns at about 1800rpm. My motor came with an on/off switch installed but it's not rocket science to wire one up. I've proved that by doing it myself on a blower that I purchased for my forge. Everything that you need for the job can be found at the hardware store.

Stands can be had for cheap on Ebay and through Amazon. I got a very sturdy one through Amazon for less than $30 a few years ago and all it required was screwing 32 nuts and bolts together. I think it even came with a cheap wrench and screw driver but I advise real tools.

For a base all you need is a piece of 1/2" plywood, a quarter sheet will be more than large enough. Line the grinder and motor up on the base, mark and drill you holes. Mount the pulleys or pulley cones on the shafts to help guide you on lining them up but you should have a little play in the shafts, especially with single pulley, to make your fine adjustments later. Get a length of adjustable link drive belt, adjust it to size and install.

If you have enough skill to remodel a house, you have more than enough skill to do the above assembly.

I think that if you go ahead and get one of the Kalamazoo grinders you will regret it later.

Doug

Old 10-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Skilled

Doug, thank you so much for replying! I have "searched" high and low on the forum today and that Coote makes a lot of sense. I guess I am just intimidated about finding the right motor, and setting it up correctly. I do want to go with step pulleys to make a poor man's variable speed. I checked out Beaumont Metal Works and they have step pulleys. I also read much about the Grizzly but I bet I would be wishing I got the Coote instead if I went that route.

I always seem to be in a hurry to get something. I need to carefully think this thing out and decide what I want to do. I will have to use and keep my grinder outside on my covered and unheated back patio. Do you see a problem with this? My basement is unfinished and a tinder box with exposed 80 year old beams. I definitely can't do any grinding down there. I live in the city and have no shed either. Thanks for all your help.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:09 AM
Skilled

Have you looked at Pheer grinders? http://www.2x72beltgrinder.com/
I bought one there early last year during his beta run, i have only had one problem with it (design issue) which he has since changed. But the thing is a beast, 1HP leeson motor, digital variable speed direct drive, flat platten, tool rest, non aluminum contact wheels all delivered to my house for $850. the only thing i added to it was a ceramic platten liner, and i made an arm to mount a small wheel attachment.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:52 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdale View Post
Have you looked at Pheer grinders? http://www.2x72beltgrinder.com/
I bought one there early last year during his beta run, i have only had one problem with it (design issue) which he has since changed. But the thing is a beast, 1HP leeson motor, digital variable speed direct drive, flat platten, tool rest, non aluminum contact wheels all delivered to my house for $850. the only thing i added to it was a ceramic platten liner, and i made an arm to mount a small wheel attachment.
Jdale, thanks for the info. They look really nice. Which model did you get? Also, what problem did you have? Did he take care of it for you? Lastly, if ypu don't mind what kind of knives are you making and how is the grinder working for you? Thanks.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Skilled

I think I am going to go the Coote route. Just bought this for one: Baldor VL3514 Electric Motor 1.5 hp, 1725 rpm, 115/230v, 56C,TEFC, Single Phase. 5/8" shaft.

Hope all I need is some step pulley and belts. I hope I did right getting that motor. I'm sure somebody will let me know if I made a mistake. Thanks for all the help so far.

Tony Z.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:05 AM
Skilled

Good thread!
I'm following it with interest as I'm also on a low budget.
Q: The Baldor motor you purchased is $600+ (new). How are you going to stay at the $800 budget mark... did you get a smokin' deal on a used one?

Old 10-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
Good thread!
I'm following it with interest as I'm also on a low budget.
Q: The Baldor motor you purchased is $600+ (new). How are you going to stay at the $800 budget mark... did you get a smokin' deal on a used one?
Rockhound, I found the motor on Ebay (link below) this AM, never used and wired with a switch for $238 shipped. I liked what I saw and just went for it. I had to call Baldor first and ask what shaft diameter it had, as it wasn't listed on the auction, and it is 5/8". So hopefully all is well and as listed.

Tony Z

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261110043309...84.m1497.l2648
Old 10-17-2012, 07:42 PM
Hall of Famer

The Rural King, kind of a farm store/feed store/overgrown country store has 1.5hp, 110v, continuous use, sealed electric motors for for less than $300. Wayne Coe, who is also a knife maker as well as a general blacksmith, was also selling some a couple of months ago for about the same. He's in Tennessee. You can contact him at wayne@waynecoeartistblacksmith.com and see if he still has any. He also socks some other supplies.

Doug

Last edited by Doug Lester; 10-17-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:48 PM
Skilled

Somehow my reply from this morning never made it. I replied to Rockhound's question. I did get a smoking hot deal it seems. Found a Baldor 1.5 hp 5/8" motor never used for $200 + $38 shipping on Ebay. I decided I just better get it while I could. It looked like the right configuration as all the motors in pics of completed grinders. I got the apple before the cart, but have done so many other times in my life.

Tony Z
Old 10-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulmaduro View Post
Jdale, thanks for the info. They look really nice. Which model did you get? Also, what problem did you have? Did he take care of it for you? Lastly, if ypu don't mind what kind of knives are you making and how is the grinder working for you? Thanks.
I bought one like the PH327 except the spring on mine is behind the arm pulling it up rather than pushing it up. The problem with mine is that the tool rest is mounted below the platten support arm and there isnt alot of clearance to work on the left side. but it never bothered me enough to ask for a replacement arm. all of his latest models have the issue resolved by moving it up or more clearance between the platten and support arm.
So far i have only made non folders full and hidden tang handles with 2" to 6" blades. I absolutely love the sander, tracks great, extremly quiet, the digital VSD is a godsend, and so little vibration i can stand a washer on its end on the tool rest at 2500rpm
Old 10-18-2012, 04:52 AM
Skilled

Fulmaduro...You will do yourself a huge favor to get into the 2x72 format.
I am not sure of the evolution, but the entire knifemaking trade uses the 2x72 format, and the belt mfrs have ensured that the available grits are more often available for that format. because of the larger belt size, the belts last much longer than the 1x42 format, and the versatility is much better suited to making knives.
Your choice of the 1.5 hp Baldor @1725 is an excellent choice, and should not be a problem to operate with a step pulley system. Since you already have the motor, I would probably opt for the Coote.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Skilled

Thanks for all the help everyone. This Forum is so full of useful information from experienced individuals in all areas, not just knife making. I already made the motor purchase, and nearly every experienced knife maker here on the Forum advises anyone looking into a grinder to just suck it up and get a 2X72 because you will soon regret it shortly thereafter if you do not.

After all this research, member's comments and advise I am thinking about just getting a KMG-8 at $920 + shipping. The Coote w/ 8" wheel is $506 + shipping. Both require step pulleys at additional cost. And I don't believe the Coote has all the features of the KMG. And I believe the Coote's configuration is not designed to be changed (i.e. contact wheel diameter), or may limit some features if done.

$416 does seem like a lot, but I have easily wasted that much money or more away many times in the past. That was much of my Marine Corps drinking life. In my post-Jimmy Carter days in the Marine Corps we Marines always got the Army's leftovers. We made the most with what we had. We made things work that probably shouldn't have. So, when we finally acquired new toys and equipment in the 80's and 90's we appreciated what a quality piece of gear was.

Therefore, I know i would be disgruntled with a lesser piece of gear pretty quick. That Coote sure looks nice, but that KMG looks even nicer! I was sold watching the 2 demo videos on the Beaumont Metal Works site. I am 100% sold, but have yet told the wife, and that may change things. But then again, maybe I could just omit the $416 difference. Well see...

Tony Z.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:05 PM
Skilled

$416 doesn't sound like enough that a really nice set of handmade kitchen knives couldn't smooth over.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:24 AM
Skilled

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Knif...r-Buffer/G1015
Ive got one and i love it.

"Live so that your friends can defend you but never have to" - Arnold H. Glascow

Tags
anvil, art, back, blade, bowie, build it, camp knives, collector, coote, digital, drill, easy, forge, grinding, hollow grind, knife, knife making, knives, made, make, making, man, military, mount, newbie