MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:35 PM

Bull Shark Does Not Lock Securely

I bought a Bull Shark kit as a present for a co-worker. His turned out real nice looking with the black Micarta scales. The one problem he's having is the lock does not readily engage. If pressure is applied to the frame lock, it will lock securely, but it does not snap into position on its own.

Can someone offer suggestions on how to correct this? I've thought of suggesting polishing the frame lock or using a VERY fine grit sandpaper and sanding by hand. My concern with doing anything before getting good advice is I'd hate to go to far and "adjust" the lock mechanism to the point it does not securely lock!
Old 02-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Have you tried to adjust the lockup by re-aligning the liners or blade position?

Also, if you can verify that the above are set correctly, you can take a flat file and lightly (serious) sand the lock on the liner to allow the blade to slide in more. Be careful not to take much on each pass. Just hit it a time or two, then reassemble and test the lockup.

Remember everyone...
There is no such thing as a kit with a perfect lock-up when you first assemble it. I always like to start mine out by polishing all of the parts anyway, so slip and contact surfaces are deburred and smooth. This helps the action and the lock up of the knife from Jump Street. From here, I try to assemble mine with full lock contact, but only on the entry side of the lock surface. I allow the other 3/4's of the lock surface to be in reserve for future wear-in and adjustments.

If anyone needs help with their lockup or fit, etc... call us toll-free Monday-Friday from 9a-5p at (888-25-KNIFE). Sometimes it's easier to help when you can walk through the fix in real time.

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 02-16-2011, 05:32 AM

Thanks for the advice, Alex!

I'm going to pass this along to my friend that has the knife. he was wondering about the alignment problems you mentioned as he did not have the proper Torx bit for the smaller screws and, as a result, they may not have the proper tension to hold everything in good alignment. I'm also please to see I was not too far off base with the suggestion of LIGHTLY touching up the edge of the liner lock.

I'll post after he does the mods and let you know how it went.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:08 AM
Administrator

You can also film it (like in the open and closed position, upside down, viewing zoom-in on lock area) and send it to us by e-mail to ::: sales1 (at) knifekits.com

Many times we can see what's going on visually and suggest what might be the culprit before you modify something that you're not sure of. The true problem can be a lot of things, or a combination of everything.

I always try to align the blade squarely in the closed position, align it in the open position, check the sureness of the lockup by looking for enough contact between the liner and blade, the blade being firmly held in the open position by a solid contact with the lock stop pin, etc. Once I'm happy with those checkpoints, I then tighten the heck out of every screw, including the pivot. I recheck everything by opening and closing a few times while tight. I might even add some oil and seat it in a few times (10-20?). I wipe it off then and slightly back off of the pivot screw. I then check the action and make sure the blade is opening smoothly. I make sure there is no side-to-side play in the blade and I then stare at it in satisfaction. Following that, I put it in my pocket and go around for a few days bragging like heck about it!

Seriously, we welcome everyone to send images (or even the knife) and we'll set it up for the first time by suggesting where you need to adjust (if you're unsure about where the lock should join, how, is it safe?, etc.) The #1 thought about owning and carrying knives and guns is their safety, right? And especially their safe use. If you in any way feel unsafe when you look at a knife, or feel that the lockup just isn't right... or if you see a friend with an unsafe lockup and can't figure it out... get a pro's opinion before you carry or depend on that knife!! Knives are designed to cut. The last thing you want one to cut is you!

Safety First!!!

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC

Tags
blade, kit, knife, knifekits.com, knives, liner lock, post