MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:38 AM
Enthusiast

light color handles

I used some burly maple for handles on a small folder. When blending in the handles and bolsters the metal stained the handles and I had to stain the handles a dark color to hide it. Any suggestions on how to install light colored wood as handles and blend it into the bolsters without it metal staining the wood? I like the look of a light color handle, you don't see many around. Frank
Old 07-07-2008, 06:55 PM
Master

Send a message via ICQ to Txcwboy
Ive had the same issue ! :/ We ll see if someone can shine some light on it for us.

Dave
Old 07-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Steel Addict

I think that you may need to seal or stabilize the wood. Some woods have agents that react to metal and are then absorbed back into the wood.

Whiskers
Old 07-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Hall of Famer

It doesn't sound like a chemical reaction between the wood and metal, but rather your sanding belt is shoving metal particles from the bolster into the wood. Stabilized woods may have the same problem.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:09 PM

That procedure is a colosal pain in the butt. I did it once with white paper micarta and have not tried it since.

It's just a whole lot of being real careful. I had to finish the scales to completion off-the-knife with a bit of hand sanding to get the metal out of the white stuff followed by a white rouge polish. The final fit-up might suffer just a bit, but not if your REAL careful. Just do'n let the buffer round the edges that make contact with the steel. That will kill the sharp edge and look pretty bad.

What made mine tougher was the fact that my blade had a very dark etch.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 07-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Steel Addict

I've had a similar situation also. I read where one maker had made a separate short extension for the boster so that the edges wouldn't become rounded during sanding or buffing. I don't remember how he finished his scales to match though.
Dan
Old 08-18-2008, 10:27 PM
Steel Addict

I am no expet in this, but i do like light wood, and I have no stabelized wood.
What I found for me anways is:
as above sand the wood and bolsters close as possible before instaling them. Once installed sand with masking tape on the wood untill you get even closer. Finally sand away from the wood ( without the tape on it) so thesanding dust does not get into the wood. Sand at a 90 degrees to both so long a your strokes are straight. Change the paper more frequently.
, when I first started I would put a thin spacer of something darker in there for a fudge factor, now I am a little more practiced at it. If I get the wood "dirty" a quick zip on the belt sander going at a right angle to the wood/bolster bring it back and I can start over agan.
Hope this helps. Cheers Ron.

Tags
blade, knife