MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 01-29-2004, 03:42 PM
Enthusiast

Superglue and Epoxy Question

Having never worked with either stabilized wood or Superglue before , I would like to know several things.
Can you use Superglue instead of Epoxy for attacing the handle ( Either hidden tang design or slabs )?
As that the wood is stabilized could you put a thin coat of either epoxy or Superglue on it--for sealing?
Lastly -- What is the best Epoxy that one could buy -- I usually use a 30 minute Epoxy. I have always used Devcon.
Thanks in advance.

Old 01-29-2004, 03:58 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
I wouldn't use Superglue for the sole method of attaching handles. I wouldn't even use epoxy as the sole method. Some sort of mechanical method (pins, buttcaps, etc.) is the best for securing handles.

As for using superglue to seal stabilized wood, it's already sealed. That's what stabilizing does -- force arcrylic resin into the pores of the wood. Some people use superglue to seal un-stabilized woods.

I've always used Devcon as well, but for attaching handles and such, I have always used 2-Ton. I needed some one time, couldn't find 2-Ton, but Wal-Mart had some Kevlar epoxy. You want to talk about tough stuff, that's some serious epoxy. It has Kevlar fibers in it. Super strong stuff, but it's got a greyish color, not clear.

Hope that helps.

And welcome to the forums, if I haven't already said so.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 01-29-2004, 03:58 PM
Skilled

I've been using Devcon 2 ton for 20+ years. It works well, but store it in your house, not in the shop.
It is very sensitive to temperature extremes in storage, and can go bad if it gets too hot etc.

I wouldn't recommend super glue to affix your scales. It is not near as strong as epoxy, nor as thick.

Old 01-29-2004, 06:26 PM
Enthusiast

After carving and shaping--will Super Glue sealing be good for a durable finish and stabilize the wood for many years? Having never shaped stabilized wood-- ( I have all kinds--including burl wood , I haven`t tried to work yet) ,because I`m use to natural wood--and therefore have gotten wood stablized since it is suppose to be better. I guess what I am asking is the stabilized wood easy to shape and will Super Glue stabilize the wood as well as the stabilizing with the forcing of arcrylic resin into the pores of the wood. It would be less expensive.
Again---Thanks in advance

P.S.
I always use pins and notch them for a place for the glue to hold--thanks for bringing that up. Also--Thanks for the welcome--good to be here.

Last edited by Predator; 01-29-2004 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:50 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Don't confuse coating wood with superglue (sealing) and stabilizing. The superglue trick just seals the surface pores. The rest of the wood is free to expand and contract as always, which will lead to cracking and shrinking. The superglue trick is mainly used to get a glass-smooth surface.

Stabilizing forces arcrylic resin into the pores of the wood -- it goes all the way through. Stabilizing seals all of the fibers of the wood so none of them can expand/contract. That makes the wood, well, stable.

I ordered my first pieces of stabilized wood earlier this month. I haven't worked them yet, but I think they will work just fine. The arcrylic that's left on the surface has a waxy consistency, so I don't think it's hardening the wood in any way.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 01-29-2004, 10:14 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to Joel
I use superglue to fasten my spacers together, and then to the bolsters; also use it to fasten liners to the handle material. I also use it to fill in cracks and holes in stabilized wood. Far actual fastening of scales or blacks or horns to the knife, I use two-ton, or sometimes E-6000(especially for stone spacers). There is also a new Epoxy out by Quick Tite, That is super strong, clear and slightly flexible like E-6000. Cures in 40 minutes. Great stuff. Needless to say, on the full tangss, I also use pins or bolts or whatever in conjunction with the glues.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:21 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you --you all have cleared things up for me---appreciate it.

Tags
fixed blade, knife