MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 12-13-2003, 07:20 PM
Registered

scales

hi guys i had yet another question. i am having trouble cutting my scales out of the blocks of wood and was wondering how you guys do it. i am trying to use my band saw to cut a long piece that i will later shape to the scales. as i am cutting though the bandsaw blade wants to twist a little so it doesnt cut in a straight line. i have been reduced to using a miter box hand saw and it takes a long time and i have to cut the wood thicker than i need cause of the kerf of the saw i am getting very frustrated cause i am wasting a lot of wood. i have a very old piece of black walnut i got from my grandfather. he used this piece of wood years ago to carve out a knife handle for himself and i thought it would be cool to give him a knife a made that has the same piece of wood in it. also i seen in a recent post about polishing the bolsters. how do you polish them and what do you use. thank you for any answers.
Old 12-13-2003, 08:23 PM

It sound like you are resawing the wood to a thinner piece. This usually requires a minimum of a 1/2" blade on a bandsaw or the blade will wander. If your bandsaw is not big enough for a 1/2" blade, I'd try to find a friend that haas a big enough saw and buy him a blade to pay for using his saw (or pony up and get a bigger saw).

Your miter box is the slower less expensive alternative.

To polish the bolsters, you need to get wet/dry sand paper up through about 2000 grit (available at auto parts stores and some paint stores). Start at 150 or 200 and work up through the grits. Change direction on each succeeding grit to be sure you got out all the previous grit scratches.

Bob Sigmon

Last edited by Bob Sigmon; 12-13-2003 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:43 AM

I've been using a 10 inch table saw to cut my blocks in half. The saw kerf is more than with a bandsaw, but the cuts are fairly straight.

As with all power tools, use care; I launched a piece of stabilized birdseye maple into my driveway that I still haven't found.
Old 12-14-2003, 02:57 AM

Hi Jakano, You say you are having a problem cutting blocks of wood on your bandsaw. I'm a woodworker and I can tell you this if your bandsaw is not ajusted right you will have problems. You should be able to cut blocks of wood with ease. Here is a website which I get my blades from. Scroll down to troubleshooting it should help you out. Let me know how you made out? GOOD LUCK!http://www.bimetalblades.net/home.htm

Tags
blade, knife