MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 03-30-2002, 04:53 PM
Raymond Richard

Not quite finished, but...........

These are a couple bowies I've still got alittle more work to do on. The top one is 5160 and the bottom one is 52100. I don't know how many more my old arm has got left in it, I do know I'll think twice about the 52100. Both blades are a little over 10" and right around 16' overall. The top one has a black walnut handle, at least thats what I'm guessing it is since the wood was given to me. The bottom one is stab. koa. These are just a couple I'm going to bring to the Oregon Knife Show. Ray

Old 03-30-2002, 05:25 PM
mongoismyname

Nice to see youre work, i like them both..
Mongo
Old 03-30-2002, 06:34 PM
Roger Gregory

Those are really smart pieces of work Raymond. I love that hand-sanded finish. Those guards look rather elegant too.

Roger
Old 03-30-2002, 06:49 PM
Cactusforge

Simple, plain in a very nice way a very good job. Gib
Old 03-30-2002, 08:29 PM
MtMike

Ray's bowies

Ray, I love 'em, REALLY love the lines on the 52100 piece. And those cute little nose rings should be a big hit in Oregon!!

MtMike
Old 03-30-2002, 08:50 PM
MaxTheKnife

Re: Ray's bowies

Real nice work for an old guy Ray I'd swear the wood on that top knife is coco bolo.Most people are pretty allegic to that wood so that would explain someone giving it to you. I've got a bunch that probably won't ever find it's way onto a knife myself. I've got so much black walnut that if I put that on every knife I made from now on I'd still have some left when my arms give out.

Real nice finish on those blades old buddy. What did you find so dissagreeable about the 52100? All of it I've ever worked forged up like 0-1 and that stuff works like butter. The main thing I don't like much about 52100 is all the hoops you have to jump trough to heat treat it properly. But you gotta love that 5160. That's some of the hardest forging steel I've ever worked but it sure does finish up nice don't it? I just finished up a matched camper set from 5160. Turned out cool. I've been too lazy lately to upload them to my photo album but I will eventually. I'm waiting for some good pics of them anyway. The fellow I forged them for is a professional photographer and I'm sure he could do better than me anyway. Anyway, nice job Ray.
Old 03-30-2002, 11:41 PM
Raymond Richard

Max, it's not cocobolo, way to light and no where as dense. I've done bunches of coco and so far it hasn't bothered me, I enjoy the spicy smell of it. Wayne Goddard had given me that wood, stuff he had rat holed for years and probably can't remember what it is himself. The 52100 was a 3/4" round that I had got from Admiral steel. I'd forge till my arm started hurting and stop and do somemore the next day. Think I did it over 5 or 6 days. The heat treat was pretty extensive, I did it pretty much as the 52100 gurus suggest. I didn't do any freeze, so don't tell anyone. Can't figure out if I want to do any file work on it, kind of holding off until the urge hits. Ray

Old 03-31-2002, 03:40 AM
crowknives

nice knives ray !
do you ever have problems with 5160 and rust on the blade after a while ?
would rust be caused by tempering too soft ?
Old 03-31-2002, 05:32 AM
Raymond Richard

Both these blades are edge hardened so most the blade is pretty soft. Rust just kind of happens but so far haven't noticed any on these knives. My shop is very natural, 3/4 of the year the dirt floor is either damp or just plain muddy but I've had blades left out in the open for a few days start to rust even in the summer. Glad you like the knives....Ray
Old 03-31-2002, 06:43 AM
crowknives

yeh I have a soft spot for big knives
they say necessity is the mother of all inventions, I lost my expensive factory made pig stabber, following my pig dogs around our back padock one night.
so I thought i`d get on the net and find out how to make a knife. I found ckd and since then have made several knives!
I`ts very adictive !
but my 5160 rust`s
maybe I should etch it ?
Old 03-31-2002, 07:55 AM
foxcreek

steels

Nice work! I thought of cocobolo at first too, but...there are lots of other tropical woods it could be. I bet ist stables is stabile as is. I find 5160 to feel hard under the hammer until it gets thinned down, but thats in comparison to 1095 or 1095. 52100 is supposed to be some harder to forge. I have always heard O-1 was harder to move too, but if Max likes it it must be OK. Maybe Max is just a lot stonger than me The last big one I forged from thick spring steel I used a six pounder to get the bevels started. It is MUCH more difficult to work something down from the round stock than even thick flat stock in my experience. I have some O-1 maybe 5/8 X 1 inch I have yet to tackle.
Old 03-31-2002, 08:36 AM
Jeff Sanders

Re: steels

Those are awesome looking blades.Very nice work.
Old 03-31-2002, 10:36 AM
ghostdog

Re: steels

Ray, those are sweet. hopefully there are lots of discerning buyers at the show.

ghostdog
Old 03-31-2002, 10:50 AM
Raymond Richard

Handle material...

I had just got an email from Wayne about the handle material, says he believes it is claro walnut that was left from a gun stock reminent. I think he's right cause it looked like it could have been a butt from a stock. If you guys are interested I posted some pictures of some puukkos yesterday also in the Display Case. Their stock removal blades done from saw steel. Ray
Old 03-31-2002, 03:03 PM
Diamond G Knives

Re: Handle material...

nice job Ray, clean lines and oh what a finish!
Keep up the good work!
Mike

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knives