MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 10-20-2006, 05:38 AM

Send a message via MSN to canonman20d Send a message via Yahoo to canonman20d
Best way to let knife makers know

I have found that I enjoy doing knife photography an feel that I do a good job. what is the best way to get the word out there an let makers know I offer this service?
Old 10-20-2006, 07:21 AM

You need to show your work, plain and simple. If you don't have a collection of knives to display, then you are going to be hard-pressed to get examples. Be creative.

When I started, I shot photos of my own collection all the time. AS I got more involved I found a website dealer locally who needed a better photographer then himself. I happened in at the right time.

Over two years, I shot over 400 knives for him at $15.00 per image. That's all. I considered this as cheap tuition for the schooling I was getting.

Then I did my first show at a local NCCA event. I offered my montage images at $30 each. Prints included and submission info sent.

All the while I would post my better images online and then support the maker who's knife I shot. The word will get out.

There are 10-15 REALLY good photographers out there. (Many in here...) What is going to be your 'style'? How will you differ? What will you offer in comparison? All valid questions.

Show us your best and show maker's your best. Early on, you had better be prepared to nearly give your work away. I did.

And then there is the whole submission aspect that needs addressing. It's easy to offer a simple portfolio image. What a maker wants is NATIONAL exposure. TIme to purchase knife magazines and find ouot who the contacts are to mail them images AND information also. It's the 'hidden' work that really make a big difference.

I am not threatened by another new face. As you grow, so will I.... Good luck.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 10-20-2006, 07:31 AM

Coop said it all. It takes time, but I think Coop and I both will agree that it is worth it. It is an enjoyable occupation and when you're dealing with makers, you have some of the best clients possible.

Old 10-20-2006, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I am not threatened by another new face. As you grow, so will I.... Good luck.
Did you catch that? Coop is either the best knife photographer or so close to it that no one could argue. And yet there he is freely - FREELY - giving advice to help you along. That's a class act! But he knows that the best guys are not really in competition - when knifemakers and dealers see what a difference a good photo makes, it expands the business. But maybe most importantly, Coop is constantly working to improve. You see that with the best knifemakers, engravers, etc.

If it's respect you're seeking, then here's your model for what it takes to achieve that.

Old 10-21-2006, 12:17 AM

Send a message via MSN to canonman20d Send a message via Yahoo to canonman20d
Thanks, to all you guys that are helping me with this. To Coop I want to say that sounds like some very darn good advice an I'm going to take it to heart an apply it as well. you have really been a great help to me an I have a few ideas running in my head as I write this on how my style an photo's will differ. an to Terrill thanks for your advice also when I first looked at knife photography your images and Coop's was the one I was most impressed by. I shoot weddings,wildlife,nature,lightning, I have some images now of some elk I'm going to submit to some of the outdoor magazines. but I would rather shoot knives anyday than a wedding it's much more pressure when it's a wedding. an Texas Jack I will agree with you 100% on that both of these guy's seem like a class act I believe I have found somewhere I can get sound advice. sorry I'm not on no more than what I am but I stay really really busy I have a full-time job where I work anywhere from 8-14hrs a day. then I come home an run my business also. by the time you add in the honey-do's, church, sleep. it run's pretty tight an I know you guy's probally know where I'm comming from but I will be posting some new work soon. thanks again for your time an advice I know both is very valuable to you all.

Lowell
Old 10-21-2006, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonman20d
...but I stay really really busy I have a full-time job where I work anywhere from 8-14hrs a day. then I come home an run my business also.
Boy, THAT sounds familiar!

He he he. You qualify! Looking forward to your work.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??

Tags
knife, knives