MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 04-06-2002, 10:31 AM
Raymond Richard

1/2 Tanned Leather.....

Went to Oregon Leather yesterday in search of 1/2 tanned leather. I was told that the only time its available threw them is by mistake. Evidently when they get it, it comes in with the regular tanned leather not knowing its only half tanned. Tanned on the outside and still rawhide in the center. Said its a real bear to cut. Anyway he talked me into getting some horse leather. At the time I was there didn't realize that the flesh side looked very simular to the hair side and almost shinny and smooth. Says once it is water molded it is water proff. Has anyone tried any horse? If so could you share you thoughts.......Ray
Old 04-07-2002, 10:09 PM
ghostdog

Ray, what weight horse hide did you get? I made a small sheath from some horse hide a friend had. I liked it. My buddy says it is really tough. Up here Heritan only sells it in light weights, 2 or 3 ounce. Thats for butts which is what my buddy gave me and he says is so tough but my buddies was 8 ounce. I think that last sentence was a doozy but I am tired.

i would love to find half tanned as well but no succcess up here.

ghostdog
Old 04-07-2002, 10:30 PM
Raymond Richard

Keith, what I got is 4-5oz. Not sure where on the horse it came from but think its name was Trigger. I was told the 1/2 tanned is more common in Europe. Why don't you get some rest.
Ray