MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Master

Send a message via ICQ to Txcwboy
01 sping HT question

I am trying to make a slipjoint spring out of 1/16th 01 . I have HT 01 blades before but doing a spring is new. So I ll HT spring like normal, then quench. Then I need to temper like normal in oven ? then re do temper to the spring temper ? Im confused. Can I do the spring tempering with a torch ? I dont have an HT oven.

Thanks

Dave
Old 01-17-2010, 07:59 PM
Skilled

Dave, I've been taking O1 to spring temper with a small torch. After hardening, I snap temper at 350 along with the blade for one cycle, then while the blade goes for it's regular temper cycles, I use a small butane torch I picked up at the local hardware store and just eyeball it. According to the color charts, you need to take O1 through blue then allt eh way back to gray to hit about 46-48 RC. I forget temp, but this has been working for me so far.

I like the small torch because it's so much more controllable than my MAPP torches. I start at the pivot and as soon as that has hit the color I want, I move slowly toward the lockup point, chasing the color as I go. I stop just short of the face, leaving that harder than the rest of the spring, and dunk the spring in cool oil to stop the process. It was touch and go the first time I did it, and I had to reharden the spring and try again, but once I picked up the feel for it, it became fairly easy.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:30 PM
Master

Whats snap temper ? So you Get it red hot basically..then quench it like blade. Then you do one temper at 350( how long?) then 2nd one with the torch till grey ?

THANKS

Dave
Old 01-18-2010, 04:00 PM
Skilled

If you temper O1 at about 325-350 F you will relieve some stresses in the steel without affecting the hardness too much. I put the spring in that first temper so that nothing bad happens if I can't draw it back right away. Then the blade goes in at 400 F for an hour, then again another hour. This should yield (assuming I did everything right) 60-63 RC.

I don't know if putting the spring in that first tempering cycle is truly necessary, but I figure it won't hurt. When it's finished I let it cool and bust out the mini-torch and draw it back as above. If you have an electric heat treat oven, that might actually be a better tool - but the torch is faster and uses no electricity.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Master

I ll try that !

THANKS !

Dave

Tags
blade, forge, knife