MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:32 AM

Very first two knives!! let me know what you think!

Hi people. I just wanted to share this personal accomplishment. my first two knives! I ordered some damascus steel from ebay and supplies from Jenz. I used what I think is honduras rosewood for the first one and african blackwood for the second one. I know the steel is not of the greatest quality ( I think it is from pakistan) but they have a very nice pattern. I had to etch the first one because the pattern was not very visible. I used hot vinegar and it worked great. Please let me know what you guys think!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43417266@N08/14170524480/

Last edited by NavarreteKnives; 06-06-2014 at 12:42 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:03 AM

Nice design and the grind looks excellent especially if these are your first. How did you heat treat your blades and if they are Pakistan damascus then you need to check if they hardened. I would strongly suggest you start with good old tool steel and worry about using damascus steels in the future. The Pakistan damascus is truly mystery metal regardless of what they say it is made of. That being said, looks like a nice finish on the knives and good fit. Keep it up and welcome to our addiction.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:20 AM

Thank you Stephen, I first practiced the grind several times on wood and then on some old files before I attempted on the real thing, I can tell you they are not perfect :-) I have a friend that is a blacksmith and he told me the steel was not hardened so he heated treated the blades. I wanted to start using 440c but I came across this deal on ebay and got the metal very inexpensive. I am working on my first 440c knife right now and will load pics as soon as I finish it.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:33 AM

440C is a really nice stainless and what I use for virtually all my stainless knives. Do yo have a way to heat treat it? Your tool steels can be heat treated by your blacksmith friend which will be difficult with the 440C. The damascus on ebay is most likely old car parts or any other metal they can scavenge. I use it for bolsters and guards but not for anything that needs an edge. I would suggest you check out Alabama damascus for some usable damascus at the lowest price you will find if you decide you just have to use damascus. Inthe mean time have fun with the 440C and remember to ask lots of questions.
Steve

Old 06-06-2014, 01:26 PM

Thanks Stephen, I am planning on sending the 440c to a company here in Portland for heat treating but the only down side is that in order to make it worth it I need to send them about 15 blanks but after doing research I figured this is the safest way of doing it. I might be building my own heat treatment tools but I don't think I want to deal with that right now.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:06 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

You can send a single 440C blade to Texas Knifemakers and get it processed for about $12 I think. At this stage of your development that would be a LOT smarter than making 15 blades before you get the bugs worked out. They can also cryo the blade for a couple dollars more ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-06-2014, 03:58 PM

Yeah I know about Texas Knifemakers but I was hoping to find a local place. I am still looking right now for someone local. I agree Ray, I don't think it would be smart for me to go crazy and start making blades like crazy, although it is tempting.. lol
Old 06-06-2014, 04:22 PM
Hall of Famer

They look like good blades, design wise at least. My question is about the handles. How do those flat slab scales feel in our hand? Do they give control? I try to get a bit of a palm swell in the handle.

Doug

Old 06-06-2014, 07:14 PM

Find somebody local if you can but be aware that just because some tool shop can heat treat 440C that doesn't mean they know how to heat treat a blade. Blades have a very thin cross section when compared to most tool parts and if the treater follows the process for larger cross sections your blade will be *ahem* less than ideal ....

Old 06-06-2014, 09:06 PM
Steel Addict

Not sure if you have looked here but this may be a place to start looking for local help..

http://www.oregonknifeclub.org/

Mark
Old 06-07-2014, 01:15 PM

Thanks Doug, the handles feel very good specially the drop point one because I have small hands and I have a good grip on it. I don't know how they will feel after using them constantly but they feel really good. I will experiment with different handle designs on cheap wood so I won't have much risk. I am going to do the same thing with the blades, all of my designs will be made out of wood first.
Ray. all of the places I am looking at are companies that specialize in metallurgic services in Portland and Tualatin. I am in Salem and we have nothing down here :-( I might just end up sending them to Texas knifemakers. I have a question about etching. for those of you who electro etch, where do you get your stencils? I've done research and I think I found a couple of good places but I want to know where you guys get them?
Old 06-07-2014, 05:27 PM

There are some big commercial outfits like Marking Methods that can make production grade stencils but they do cost a bit. Most of us use Ernie Grospitch, he's great to work wit, fast, and the price is right. Just Google him ...

Tags
550, art, blacksmith, blade, blades, building, damascus, design, etch, files, forging, grind, heat, heat treat, hot, knife, knives, made, make, metal, pattern, rosewood, steel, supplies, wood