MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Balisong Discussions

Balisong Discussions Customs to productions, discussions about balisongs/butterfly knives, what's the best and how to do those crazy tricks.

Old 02-13-2005, 01:09 AM
Skilled

Darrel on the move! :)

First off.., the following knives pictured are not mine..

BUMMER!..., but I wanted to share some pictures of the new line of Balisong knives Darrel is been working on.., and that will be available in the near future...

Many have already seen the knives first out of the shoot, and Abe ("Masse').., and David ("Ubernut"), picked up a few of these beauties at the Las Vegas Custom Knife show and have posted them.

Note: If others did as well, I apologize for not mentioning it, but I forgot to ask Darrel how many he took to the Show, and those mentioned, are the friends I know that got them.

I'll also share some pricing and detail on these.., but it's always best to check with Darrel on this just in case I goof somewhat.

The entry level knife in this new line includes the "GR"..., the "Twist", and a Carbon Fiber interframe inlay model that is stunning! David was kind enough to let me see his in Las Veags.., and it's a gorgeous piece of work.

The new models include some very nice filework by Darrel.., and also his new latch design called the "Manipulator Latch". The head of the latch is his classic pyramid design, and in addition to a more "grippy" finish, the latch incorporates monorail holes drilled perpendicular to the blade channels.

Also available will be the 2nd generation of Darrel's Tritium Insert Models. To avoid confusion..., those on the list to get the first generation model know who they are (25 knives), and this new version is a different knife with blade and handles coated by BodyKote Technologies in DLC (Diamond-like-Coating) ~~> the latest upgrade of Boron Carbide coating. Very cool stuff in my opinion.

Here are some pictures supplied to me by Darrel, and he did give me permission to share them.., along with basic pricing parameters.

Again.., I'll ask is fairness to the maker, that if you have specific questions regarding a knife you may have in mind to order, please contact Darrel directly. I am simply a long time customer and friend, but can't speak to pricing on variables some might want.

dralph@earthlink.net

This model is the new "Twist" pattern handles, and I know Abe Shaw loves his already (although I didn't get to play with it in Las Vegas because Abe had already hidden in from "Bali-Nuts" in his hotel room).

Love those handles!

This is the "GR" mentioned above, and Abe also got one of these (as some have seen already)..., and -Yes- ~~> I now hate Abe.....lol. There were no more left when I got there!

I'll separate these particular models (for clarity).., and continue in the next post, but here are the basics to cover obvious questions.

Base price on both the knives above is $390.00.

This includes 6AL4V Ti-Handles and satin finished blade for most profiles Darrel does (i.e., Bowie, Utility, Bullnose, etc).

Add $75 for a Dagger Blade, and if one wants the BodyKote's DLC coating, the cost is +$50 for the blade, or +$100 for both blade and handles.

Darrel will not take orders for mirror finished blades at this time, but will mirror the handles, and also build these pieces with stainless steel handles at the request of the customer.

Ti-Handles are are standard, so if you want stainless steel, they will be 304 SS, and must be requested clearly. The pricing remains the same on this with the exceptions mentioned.

"There is no greater wisdom.., than [KINDNESS]"

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"
Old 02-13-2005, 01:11 AM
Skilled

I'm separating the Carbon Fiber interframe piece basically to avoid pricing confusion, because the basic knife is $440..., and a very elegant piece. Excellent choice of carbon fiber IMO (it's not all the same).

Again.., the pricing can vary with the variants mentioned above, but this knife pictured can be "In the Brown Truck" on the way to you for $440...

I have all three of these on order, so this is a painful post...lol. Congratulations to those that have them though.., extremely nice pieces, and reasonably priced.

As mentioned above, Darrel is doing a "2nd-Gen" run on Tritium Inlayed models, and these are all DLC coated (blade and handles).

Quoting Darrel ~~> "Man it's tough to get a good picture of both [the knife], and the Tritium-effect." I'll add a picture of my own that might help a little. This is the knife he's now working on.

The price on this knife is $550.00.

The next picture is simply to ilustrate a bit better what the DLC coating looks like, because Darrel was trying to capture the "glow" of the Tritium, which subdues the appearance of the DLC coating very significantly.

The knife below Darrel made me a while back, and it is Ti-Handles, S30V blade, and DLC coated (but in the "Venturi Line", Type-A Handles). The finish on this new one will look more as shown below ~~~> but with radiation... , and of course a different handle/lactch design.

Old 02-13-2005, 01:12 AM
Skilled

And of course there's always a "drooler"..... down:

Holy Sh** this is some piece of gorgeous work ~~> (also not mine)... :down:

Someone lucky will get this guy (if not already)..., and Darrel made a couple of these "Flagship" types for the Vegas Show ~~~> this was one of them.

All Mike Norris Stainless Damascus, Black-Lip Mother of Pearl...., God I'm getting dizzy with envy....

I don't have a picture of the other one, but I understand it has a "Happy Home" already.., and it is inlayed with Walrus Ivory....

Filework galore.., heat-colored stainless steel pivots/screws...., and I can't go on or I'll cry....lol

Enjoy! ~~> Photograph by Jim Cooper....(AKA - "Coop"). <~~ Very neat guy!

I've heard this picture has already showed up around various Forums..., but Hell..., I feel better just getting to post it....lol. When you can't buy 'em.., some form of therapy is needed....

Old 02-13-2005, 11:59 AM
Enthusiast

Location: I've lived in Dublin, Aspen, and currently in New York.
Darrel Ralph Blacklip Balisong Available for Purchase.

Hope this finds everyone doing well. I purchased the Blacklip Balisong from Darrel Ralph at the Vegas Invitational and it is available for Sale. Darrel was originally asking $2,500 on the Friday of the Antique Arms show. At Ed's and Dave's invitational show he began the open bid at $2,000.00

This Balisong is beautiful and features some new creative features by Darrel. Two to mention are the Pyramid/ Mono rail latch with the minipulator grips for tricks, and the fileworked chevrons on the back spacers for better handeling. The damascus blade is Mike Norris Mosaic Crazlace and the Damascus on the handles are Mike Norris Ladder Pattern with Blacklip Pearl Inlays, Darrel even fileworked and blued the screws.

If this catches your interest and you would like to add it to your collection. Please drop me a line via email or give me a call. knifepurveyor@yahoo.com or (646)872-0476

I also have a custom Brad Duncan Balisong and an International Series Balisong 1985 from the Pacific Cutlery Corp. I can email pictures but am having difficulty attaching them to this thread for the size is too big.

Thanks for your time and interest.

Sincerely,
Michael A. Donato
Old 02-14-2005, 08:37 AM

The first Twist civilian bali went EDC knives and then to Abe.
The comments were that the twist was great but a little sharp.
We have corrected this at this time by adding another finish process.
The Twist was developed for some SF troops going to Iraq.
They are using them for a hide out.
They wanted an excellent grip. We made the Twist for them and modified it until they were good to go with it.

Ryan got the walrus inlaid invitational bali as you can see. The other one (Black Lip) is in the hands of Mike Donato. Mike carries high line knives. He has it up for sale.

The carbon fiber (inlaid version) can be made with ironwood, pearl, ivory, silver or blue g10 carbon fiber twill. If you have a carbon fiber bike like Dave does the inlaid the V2I matches up nice!
The Twist, GR and Inlaid will be named the V2 series.

The GR is a simple knife that was spawned from the holes and grooves in the blades my stilettos that I have been making for over ten years now. This pattern adds a nice grip to the handles .

My Son Ryan Bailey is making knives with me in the shop at this time.
He is doing excellent work.

You will find his initials on some knives that come from the shop if he worked on the knife with me.

There will be a second tritium bali. If you have interest please let me know.
The first version is on the way out the door every day.
If you have anymore questions .... please email me.
The latch is your choice on the side you wan it batangas or manilla.

Thanks to all
Darrel
www.darrelralph.ocm
dralph@earthlink.net

Thanks Coop for the great invitational pics!
Old 02-15-2005, 09:48 AM
Steel Addict

Those are cool. I really love the inlayed handles, looks like a nice effect. Nice work Darrel!

www.balisongtimes.com
Old 02-17-2005, 06:55 PM
Enthusiast

I enjoyed seeing those in Vegas Darrel! After showing the Twist around I received mixed comments about what I felt was too sharp...a couple of guys flipped that around and really liked it that way.
Myself, I really like the Dagger profile...and the Damascus knives were simply amazing!
Looking forward to seeing more of these, in black.

Old 02-17-2005, 07:07 PM

Duane,
It is always a pleasure to see you. As I said we will tone down the edges just a bit.
All of the carved balis now are toned down. We added another process to make sure there are NO sharpness to them at all.

Your DLC balis are in process!

Last edited by Darrel Ralph; 02-22-2005 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:17 PM

Flipnuts!

Thanks for the good words and the great pictures. If you have any question email me off list. The latches can be either way.... I need to start asking what your pleasure is? M or B? PXII is coming together. the knife will be a totally new design that is smaller than the current selection. I have been wanting to add another design to my line and this will be a great way to kick it off. Chuck loaned me a bali a while back that clicked for me when I seen it. It is a very old knife so we will start there and move forward with a new design. My son Ryan Bailey is making knives now and will be involved in the design and building of the knife. There will be 25 numbered knives in the PXII series.

We are also making 10 5.5 balis and 5-10 7 inch balis that will be numbered also.

There will be several styles available to make the run of these balis as different from one another as possible.

I want to thank all of you for your support.
Regards

Last edited by Darrel Ralph; 02-22-2005 at 06:09 PM.

Tags
balisong, blade, butterfly knife, knife, knives