MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:21 AM

Lock back kit - shim stock included - Use question

Hi All,
Yes I'm a n00b at building knives but decided not to let that stop me. I'm going to build a few lock-backs and received my kits. Provided in with the kits are small pieces of shim stock that appear to (2) per knife.

After searching up and down, rereading the instructions, etc. I haven't found a reference to the proper use of the shims on folders.

One guess is to dry fit the whole knife and see is there is a need to shim the blade for proper tension

Another guess is to use the shims to fit the knife blade tightly then remove the shim for normal tension.

Any help or insight is welcomed and appreciated. I could flail around a while, do some trial and error and whatnot but I thought just I'd ask and see if I could get a response.

Thanks All
Old 05-16-2013, 12:39 PM
Hall of Famer

You're probably right. Use the shim stock while peening the blade pivot to prevent tightening the fit too far. Be careful though. Don't let the shim get locked in.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:55 PM

Thanks - Knife #001 is "Da Guinea Pig"
Old 05-22-2013, 09:40 AM

Nice learning curve - built it, messed up the pins. Built it with aluminum pins with the same results. Brass pins bring a nice balance of function, work-ability and aesthetic. Number one is done, I'll keep it and build another for Dad with a little more attention to detail.

2 scales and 2 sets of pins were used up in the process but I like the work.

Tags
back, blade, brass, build, building, kit, kits, knife, knives, lock, pins, pivot, scales