MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:33 PM
Steel Addict

Finally tried my hand at holsters

These Rugers were feeling a little naked and I've been wanting to try some carving, holster making and hand stitching so I rolled it all together. Chuck's video was a great help, I recommend them to everyone that wants to work leather.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:12 AM
Steel Addict

You musta' got a whole lot better copy than the one I got, watched mine a dozen times and my leather looks like crap compared to that. Keep up the good work!
Old 04-15-2008, 05:55 AM
Skilled

My friend, your attention to detail, unique design work, and meticulous stitching did NOT go un noticed. Great effort with superb results. If there are some mistakes, I'm sure you have noted them and will not repeat, but I didn't see any. Great job!!

Paul

Paul Long-- 108 Briarwood Ln. W.-- Kerrville, Texas 78028-- Ph. 830 367 5536--- pfl@cebridge.net
Old 04-15-2008, 11:01 AM

Cliff, they look great. Nice collection of six guns as well.

Hmm, wonder how a G21 would look in something similar.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Steel Addict

Great work, nice color and detail. I especially like the floral and scroll carved one.

Jerry
Old 04-15-2008, 07:52 PM

Cliff, I'll bet there are several of us that have wanted to take the leap into holsters, but just haven't got there yet (I know I'm one!)
Congratulations, I love all three, but the drop-loop is my favorite .

Mike

Old 04-15-2008, 10:53 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Cliff, when Dave Cole first started this sub-forum it was primarily to critique the submitted work. This did not always please some of those that submitted and for that I make no apology as the critiques were honest. Now brace yourself , friend, as I am going to give you my personal opinion of your work. I think for someone new to the craft that this work is darn near out of sight.! I do see little things here and there that I will comment on but the overall construction and design shown here is so far above the average for one of your experience, I commend you!

The Slim Jim holster appears to be an excellent fit to the weapon, the stitching is uniform, the color seems to be even (hard to do on hand work). The carving design is well thought out and the flow is attractive. The execution of the carving does have a tendency to show your lack of experience but not to a marked degree. By this I refer mainly to your decorative cuts which could be practiced to achieve more of a comma shaped cut that tapers out to nothing and would do more to show the flow of the leaves and petals. You have the big things down pretty darn good, friend, and now you should concentrate on the little things that accent the entire piece.

The incised carving pattern on the double loop holster is a pattern I have not seen often but you have done it up to snuff! This type of work has been around for a long time and is an excellent intermediate pattern before one gets into serious carving. Incised work was very popular in the west and continues to hold its own in replica work.

The more modern type holster shown here is also an excellent rendition but I do not find that it is a fitting holster for a single action wheel gun. This is a personal feeling and is not shared by all!!! I sincerely welcome you to the addiction of sporting goods leather craft and it seems that you have got your feet wet up to the knees!!

I see by some of the previous replys, that some very excellent leather workers are impressed by your work, as well they should be--------------

Last edited by Sandy Morrissey; 04-15-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:14 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the comments everyone, I've got a couple more I want to make for myself and have an order for one already.

I need to get a few more and better tools, I'm using a Tandy starter kit that I got as a kid and was in the attic for 20 years until I dug it out about 4 years ago when I started making knives. I've been doing border stamping until now. I guess I had tried to do some carving when I was a kid but looking at what I did its obvious I didn't have a clue then. As I said, Chucks video helped a bunch.

Recurve, holler at Chuck and tell him you got a faulty copy Actually you may just need to watch it a few more times, I think I've got you beat. I'm going to try a to plug on a Cheyenne style so I'm getting ready to watch part of it again.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:13 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
A year later----and Cliff shines!!!

I had the pleasure of meeting and talking to Cliff at the 2009 Blade Show. I again had the opportunity to see his work. As outstanding as I thought his work was last year, he did not spend that year sitting on his butt. I am pleased to see that his work has more finesse and I could honestly recommend his work as "superior"!! ---Sandy---

Old 06-13-2009, 07:00 AM
Skilled

Cliff, I cant say anything that has not already been said. Great work!!! vTrav

Tags
blade, knife, knives