MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 02-24-2003, 07:11 PM
Steel Addict

Thumbs up Harbor Freight Sale!!!

Gentlemen and Ladies,

If anyone is interested, Harbor Freight is having a sale on their 4x6 metal cutting band saw... normal price is $189.99, the sale price is $149.99. Sale is good through March 10, 2003.

I've been looking at one for some time now, the looking is over, a brandy spanking new one sits in my workshop at this very moment!!!

-Mr Mike

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, beer in the other, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Old 02-25-2003, 08:25 AM
Enthusiast

Just put a new one in my shop. Now to put the stink'n thing together!
Mike
Old 02-25-2003, 10:18 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by jethro
Just put a new one in my shop. Now to put the stink'n thing together!
Mike
Mike,

It's really pretty simple... even with the interruptions from my wife and kids, I had mine together and working in about 30 minutes.

-Mr Mike

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, beer in the other, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Old 02-25-2003, 01:05 PM
Hall of Famer

this always happens when I'm broke .sigh oh well

Old 02-25-2003, 03:59 PM
Enthusiast

It is too cold to mess with it tonight, but this weekend.....
Glad to hear that it is not difficult to assemble.
Mike
Old 02-26-2003, 11:59 AM
Enthusiast

Don't forget to replace that cheap blade that comes with the machine with a good grade bi-metal blade for best results.--Dan

Old 02-26-2003, 01:09 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Metsker
Don't forget to replace that cheap blade that comes with the machine with a good grade bi-metal blade for best results.--Dan
Roger that Dan, I ruined the stock blade within 20 minutes. I went down to the local Granger office and picked up a Starret bi-metal blade had have been having an absolute ball ever since.

The stock blade might work OK for plastic or wood, or maybe even brass or aluminum, but it's worthless for steel or SS.

-Mr Mike

Old 02-26-2003, 09:31 PM

Listen, if I can put one of those together...anybody can! It was a bit of a pain, but I had mine up and running within an hour or so...

And yes the blade that came with it was destroyed by the following evening...luckily, thanks to these forums, I thought ahead and had a bi-metal blade ready to go.

It may not be a Roll Royce...but this low-end, Taiwanese bandsaw definitely gets the job done...

I have a friend who's had the Grizzly version of this exact same saw, up and running for close to 9 years...After all these years, they're still pretty much unchanged...whether you buy it from Grizzly, Harbor Freight, Enco, etc...

Dennis

Yeah Baby!
Old 02-26-2003, 10:05 PM
Master

Finally got my Lenox bi metal blade
and im very happy with it..
I got mine from K&G, i called the local
Grainger.
And after the guy on the phone fumbled
around for 20 minutes i hung up

"the service from K&G was great"

Old 02-26-2003, 10:58 PM
Steel Addict

Got out some thick steel, some 3/4" and 1?" stuff and it cut right through it. It isn't the fastest thing in the world, but it sure beats using a hack-saw!!!

The bi-metal blade REALLY makes a difference!!!

Mongo,

Sorry about the problems with Grainger... I had a catalog and already had the product number ready to go. I will be buying more from Ken McFall (K&G) as well, but Grainger was closer and it's snowing like crazy up where K&G is right now.

-Mr Mike

Old 02-27-2003, 12:34 PM

Interesting, I had the same, less-than-terrific experience with the Grainger store located only 12 minutes from my house. I called ahead to confirm whether they had the bi-metal blade in stock...the salesperson had no clue and sounding frustrated, finally said it was not a regular stock item...(I didn't have a catalog number at the time). I then called the other store in town...same result.

I ended up calling Grizzly for the bi-metal blade,... they were a pleasure and I had it in hand two days later.

Recently I stopped into the nearby Grainger looking for a 1/4" carbide end mill. Three salesmen were standing at the front counter...none of them knew what an end mill was (the first guy asked me to spell it)...finally one spoke up and said "Isn't that used for metalwork or something?" I said yes, and he explained that they don't get much call for metalworking supplies... :confused:

Dennis

Yeah Baby!
Old 02-27-2003, 08:54 PM
Hall of Famer

you get the same kind of thing at the harbor freight store. if you don't know what you are looking for by product number, there is usually only one person in the place who can help you - just try to find him

Tags
blade, forge, knife