MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community

Knife Network Community TKN is all about excellence and sharing info. Our 'other' lives are also filled with stories, events, and opinions. This forum is an opportunity to discuss outside interests, personal experience, things that make us happy and things that don't!

Old 12-25-2002, 12:51 AM
Skilled

Land purchase?

I'm finally able to start looking for some land to build a house/shop on, but there's one problem. I've lived in barracs and hotels and apartments most of my adult life and dont' have a clue where to start getting info on buying land.

I am looking for 4-5 acers, in a non restriced area, (thinking of moveing to eigther north Mississippi, or east Texas) Wich means I want to be out in the woods enough that I don't have to worry about getting a permit to do my own building work, or wory about complaints from the power hammer.

I've though of going with a realter, but just not shure where to start.

Thanks for any advice,

William
Old 12-25-2002, 10:55 AM
Living Legend

Will,

I live just east of Dallas and have five acres.

Texas has no state income tax so you can save a little money there.

I don't know about the rules in other counties but I live in Collin county and can build anything I want without a permit and it costs $25 to have the fire department check your wiring (I didn't bother).

I have no problems with the noise I create in my shop bothering anyone and we also shoot guns without hassle from anyone.

If you homestead your land, you will get cheaper taxes and even lower if you get animals (farm animals).

There are two types of tornadoes here. The regular tornadoes that destroy houses and generally make everyone miserable are one kind.

The other tornado is KNIFEWIFE. Only dangerous if you get on the bad side, otherwise it is a pleasent storm.

There are a lot of other knifemakers in Texas as well as Lousiana. You could get half way between Terry Primos and ME.

Hope it helps.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 12-25-2002, 01:11 PM
Skilled

Thanks Bob, I've realy been thinking about Texas, would realy love to move back to Arizona, but that's way to far to drive to work! I work Off-shore.

As for tornados, I not to woried as I am planning on building a half round Quanson hut looking steel building, with half of it being an apartment and the other half being a shop with an outdoor smithy. They are garonteed to with stand 120mp. winds. Hope that'll stand up out there.

Know of any Land for sale out that way? If so anyidea what kind of priceing? Not quite ready yet, but will be in next 6-12 months.

Thanks
Old 12-27-2002, 12:28 AM
Founding Member Sys_Admin

Send a message via ICQ to KnifeWife Send a message via Yahoo to KnifeWife