MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Wed night knife chat on my website

Hi Everyone!

Until further notice, I am suspending my Wed night knife chat room, which is on my website. Trolls and Hackers have become a major problem, and my search for a suitable chat room software has not been successful. Until I can find a chat room software that gives me complete control of the chat, and the chat room, I'm suspending the chat.

Once/if I can find a suitable chat room software, that I can use on my website, we'll resume the chat....I'll let everyone know via email or through the forums.

If anyone out there knows of a free or low cost chat room software that offers customization and allows the user complete control, please let me know! So far, I've tried just about every "free" chat room I can find on the net, and there have been major issues with all of them....those that offer a degree of admin ability, do not offer any customization, and those that have customization, have no admin controls.

There's bound to be a suitable software out there, that doesn't break the bank, but I've just not found it yet.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 02-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to boatbuilder
hackers

Its to bad those idiots have to ruin a good thing
Old 02-10-2011, 10:33 AM
Master

Agree with Jim. Maybe it could work out again down the road. It's always good to say hi and see how folks are doing.

Take care, Craig
Old 02-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

I'm looking into a chat room software right now. It's one that has to be purchased, so I want to make sure it will fill our needs now, and in the future.

Alex is reviewing it for me, and will let me know his thoughts. If it looks good to him, then that's good enough for me....Alex knows all about this stuff, and I'm still a babe toddling around in the woods. When I get stuck due to a lack of knowledge, I can always count on Alex to give good, solid advice.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 02-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Enthusiast

good luck with this Ed...

Gene
Old 02-23-2011, 05:34 PM
Skilled

Any updates on knife chat yet Ed? Really miss the chat with everyone.

Jim
Old 02-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Nothing yet...I've asked Alex a couple of times to review a software package for me, and he still hasn't gotten back to me.

Maybe I better send him another email.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

Old 03-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Skilled

Any progress?

What do you do when you see your ex in pain, limping and bleeding?

Relax. Take a deep breath. Reload and then shoot again.

http://www.andersenforge.com/
Old 03-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Nope! I've emailed Alex 3 times about his evaluation of the software, and haven't heard anything yet. The software I'm interested in is Flash based, so we have to make sure that it will work with the servers at AV, and that it won't screw up the rest of my website.

I hate to keep bugging Alex, but I'm with the rest of you.....I miss our Wed Night chats!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

Old 03-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Skilled

Yeah, I'm going through withdrawls
Old 03-02-2011, 07:45 AM
Enthusiast

I'm very sorry to hear this. I hope the situation improves for you.

Frankly, it's becoming more and more of a problem. I hate to dismiss this condition as an "age factor," but more and more people lose all sense of decorum in a debate. It appears that their first inclination when someone disagrees is to 'panic, then flame.'

Speaking of chat rooms, one of the last cutlery forums I attended was boiling under the surface. We had three days of childish behavior because I offered to take two examples of one manufacturer (an old one and the newer model) sharpen them and then do cutting tests. Heck, in my business I do it all of the time. In fact, lots of companies research "test mules" to see if a product works.

But not on this forum. They had problems with three fanboy members who thought they ran the forum. They considered all products from this singular manufacturer to be fair game for intense and childish behavior on an inhouse chat room.

This was all centered around my offer to sharpen a new knife. In an analogy, it was like telling a Chevy guy I was going to wax a Ford and then having the guy melt down.

I have now pretty much retired full-time, although I still run the service aspect. I'm thinking about starting to take existing knives apart to customize them. How can the very idea of learning a new skill offend so many folks? Can't they control themselves?

Last edited by The Tourist; 03-03-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:26 PM
Skilled

Ed, I don't know how you feel about Facebook but they have a chat feature that only allows people who are listed in your friends list to chat with you thus it won't allow anyone else to get in unless you allow them to be your friend on facebook. I don't know if this route would be feasable or even if anyone is interested in this.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Enthusiast

(How can the very idea of learning a new skill offend so many folks? Can't they control themselves?)
no they can't!they mite have said something that you were about to prove to be bulls--- and instead of learning something they attack you to stop you!like you said they think they run the site and know one is going to show them. i have seen a few sites like this!
Old 03-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Steel Addict

Hmm if yall are really interested I have a ventrillo server which is a voice chat program. U can talk online and have chat rooms (I use it to play online games with friends). I could easily setup a channel for live talks if yall would like. Can even password it etc. Now you would need a mic and it wouldn't be typed out like most chat rooms but thought id offer. Let me know if interested.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron58 View Post
they think they run the site and know one is going to show them. i have seen a few sites like this!
We used to call a troll like this a "golden child." Now I think the phrase is 'fanboy.' It boils down to the same thing. I stopped going to the big cutlery forums. Either the owner sold out his principles to banner advertisers or they became 'slumlords' and never guided the 'moderators.' In fact, one such mod actually got banned for his conduct.

They have to learn (or admit) that older and retired guys like me sign onto forums to learn things. I'd like to know how to fix and repair the knives of clients better (maybe build a kit for fun) and I already knew more twenty years ago than the fanboys. And these kids living in their mom's laundry rooms have never run a business or paid suppliers, and they shouldn't be flaming anyone. They should be taking notes.

Tags
cutlery, kit, knife, knives, randall