MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 01-12-2005, 12:48 PM

I'm mostly flattered and pleased from the guys who are now ready to jump in and do it themselves. Like Buddy mentioned in another thread, I am not threatened by sharing at all. Not at this level.

Shane, the biggest tip I could give is to lose the distracting background and just show us the knife. That's the star of the show, not some poker chips. Get some wallpaper. Your settings are getting real close.

Glad to see this is prompting folks to improve. That's what it's all about.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 01-12-2005, 02:21 PM
Guru

Coop and Gang.....Just went to Whosale Electric to get my bulbs and I threw the worker for Loop. He was a little confused to say the least. He said "Flourescents dont come in 74W .....its more like 29 watt that is more equal to 90 W..." Everyone else confused now. THen he asked why 5000K as if I know. haha. Well I left there empty handed , figured Id come back to this thread then to Home Depot on my way home.

Did this guy not know his stuff or am I explaining it wrong ? 75W daylight flourecent 5000k.

Do they look like normal bulbs coop ? or are they those funky spiral ones ?

Thanks a ton,

Shane

shane@shaneivieknives.com
Old 01-12-2005, 04:50 PM

Yes, funky spiral or long loops.

Sorry--he's right. They are only about 20 watts and are the 'equivalent' of 75 watts.
Until they SAY 'daylight' bulbs or offer a kelvin rating of something lower than 6500k-5000k (or nothing at all) don't get them. Any of the correct ones I have seen mention these things specifically.

Up here I have seen them from two different sources: 'Lights of America' brand and Phillips. I have a 65w (500w equivalent!) set of 'Lights of America' work lights and they throw out a LOT of nice cool light--but they aren't color balanced correctly. They are a little better than incandescent, but not much. Maybe they will offer these in Daylight sometime. THAT would be the plan.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 01-12-2005, 06:20 PM
Hall of Famer

Shane, instead of all the running around, you would have had them in you mail tomorrow if you would have ordered the bulbs from ezcube yesterday. If you can't find them they have them and ship fact, plus each bulb is in protective molded foam. BUT, having said that, if you do fine them, let us know where. In San Antonio the other day, I checked Lowes and Home Depot. They have a LOT of the spiral floressents, just not what we want. Most were in the 3000K range.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 01-12-2005, 06:33 PM
Hall of Famer

Coop said "I am not threatened by sharing at all. Not at this level."

Ha Ha, you don't have to worry about me at ANY level Coop )

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 01-12-2005, 06:48 PM
Guru

I also think that there is NO threat due to the fact that at MY level I probably wouldnt send a knife to a professional........Only because of the stage im in. When I send a knife to someone like Coop or Terrill Im sayin, Hey this is a Top notch high quality knife. Not that I feel like my knives are crap its just that I cant justify at this inning of the game to spend the money on a photo for a knife thats only selling for $100 - $175. Now when the time comes that I feel I have something different to share with the world, no matter what im selling it for then I know who Im going to call to take some pictures.......and it will be because of all the help they have given me here and the friendships that have been built that I will do this.

I definatelly feel there is no threat......I couldnt agree more. Coop and Terrill have already earned my Business when the time comes.

Shane

shane@shaneivieknives.com
Old 01-12-2005, 11:45 PM

Hey guys...

I've been "lurking" in here for awhile now. Just finished building a near-replica of Coop's light setup. I found bulbs at Home Depot, which appear to be just the ticket. They're made by "Commercial Electric"...19w = 75 watt, DAYLIGHT (clearly marked in BIG letters), Fluorescent, 6500K. They were $7.97 apiece. Spiral shaped as Coop described, and as I've seen in pictures at photo supply sites for as much as $20!*

*Here's one place I found,...almost bought from them until I found the Home Depot bulbs...interesting chart:
http://store.tabletopstudio-store.com/lightbulbs.html

Just as in Coop's setup, I attached 3 lights. I'm still playing around with (along with a new camera), trying to get the hang of working with the "light tent" (up until now the only truly decent, clear shots I've ever really gotten were with daylight coming through my kitchen sliding glass doors...at the time I was using my "upside down" Walmart translucent storage box, and my good old 2 Meg, Olympus 2020).

I feel like I've still got quite a learning curve ahead of me, but so far so good. All of the stuff I've been reading in this forum has been extremely helpful!

When I feel like I've finally got the hang of it, I'll post some sample pics.

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Last edited by Osprey Guy; 01-12-2005 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:26 AM
Skilled

Dennis, that's too funny. I was at Lowes tonight looking for them. All I found for daylight were the 4' long bulbs. None of the curly jobs. I bought 'em for my grinding setup.

I use GE Reveal lights for all my work spotslights, plus a 4' fluorescent fixture for the grinder. But these daylight fluorescentjobs are way bluer. The reveals look yellow!

I wonder if these long tubes are a good or bad for taking knife shots?

Steve

Last edited by SteveS; 01-13-2005 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:31 AM

We've got umpteen Home Depot's around here...The one I frequent most often has a Lowe's almost next door. I generally like Lowe's a little more than Home Depot and had checked there first, no dice. Ten minutes minutes later I was parked and in the Home Depot's light department, and there they were...They must have had over a dozen in stock!

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Old 01-13-2005, 06:16 AM

I found mine at Home Depot and Wal*Mart.

Hi Dennis! I'm looking forward to your work, too.

Coop

Old 01-13-2005, 06:31 AM

Hmmmm. Update....

This might be the best news yet. I went back to the Lights of America website:

http://www.lightsofamerica.com/floods.htm

Under their fluorescent OUTDOOR floods they DO list the color temp as 6500K. (65w actual --500w equivalent) I have THREE of these VERY powerful lamps, but I did not explore them fully alone. I have always made an *assumption* that they were the indoor lighting temp.

Here is what LoA says about color temp:

Quote:
A light's color affect how we perceive the color of an object lit. For example, a blue painting under a bluish light will heighten our feeling of its blueness, but a red painting under a blue light will make it very dull and grayish, because there are no "red color waves" made by the light.

The main indicator of color is the CCT (correlated color temperature) measured in degrees Kelvin. Lights of America typically uses 2700K warm spectrum bulbs for indoors and 6500K for outdoors

I will reshoot with these lights alone. I found mine on eBay. Folks sell them to grow dope. I'm not kidding--they are in the gardening category under 'Fluorex'. Look under the subcategory 'Dope'.

Coop

Old 01-13-2005, 08:41 AM
Hall of Famer

I saw some bulb spiral lights at Lowes, Home Depot, etc, that were 5600K, and some under 3500K. I didn't buy any because I though we should be working at 5000K, but maybe there isn't enough difference? Maybe it's just a WB setting thing, and I could get the cheaper bulbs? Ezcube bulbs are high, but they're right on 5000K. Maybe I don't need to be right on 5000K. I wish I would have bought one or two now, something like 8-9 dollars ea.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 01-13-2005, 11:33 AM
Skilled

Robert,

I'm researching the same stuff as everybody else. On issue is the color temp. The other issue (maybe bigger?) is "Does the light source produce all the visible colors?" That seems to be this CRI number.

Coop, please reshoot with those lights, something with a bunch of colors on it! Home Depo has them cheap. If they work it'd be great.

Here's some more reading: http://www.solux.net/comparison.htm

Steve

Old 01-13-2005, 12:06 PM
Hall of Famer

The box that my lights came in say the company anme is "Longstar", and of course, made in China (what's with that country, they've really tapped into the American market full bore within the last couple of years, or maybe I should say what's with our country, anyway, nuf of that). I'll do a search of Longstar and see what happens. Shane, maybe it's good you didn't order yesterday to have it here tomorrow )

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 01-13-2005, 12:13 PM
Hall of Famer

STOP !! Don't buy anything until you see this site!!!
http://www.directfluorescent.com/res...=03&subcat=ALL

Hensarling Custom Knives

Tags
blade, knife, knives