MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:42 AM
Guru

bearing for small wheel

Hey guys so I had one of the bearings on my 1/2in small wheel for the grinder break today, it pretty much exploded, the bearing on the other side is fine, SO instead of getting a new wheel I want to just replace the bearing, I found a couple spots online where I could order it, However I kinda need it soon, So I was hoping to find some where local that would sell these, I don't even know where to start. Anyone have any ideas at places I should look. I check home depots web site and nothing in stock at my store, also check another local hardware store with no luck, Any idea??thanks guys
Old 03-04-2017, 12:05 PM
Skilled

pics of the wheel/bearing?

the ones I have are the same size as my skate bearings. so you might check out a local skate board shop.
Id suggest looking for an ABEC-5 rated set. they usually come in packs of 8.

sporting goods stores might also have them.

Last edited by damon; 03-04-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:55 PM
Guru

Thanks damon....your right I am 90% sure its the same as a skate bearing. I am going to go check a local place tomorrow, hopefully they will have it
Old 03-05-2017, 07:04 AM

There's usually a bearings specialty shop in just about any industralized town. Do a google for a local and take the one you have with you. They can usually set you up on the spot. Replace both - always. Then look close to make sure that your bearing "seat" in the yoke is not wallowed out....that can cause the next one to fail as well.
The local down here is Bearings of the South or some thing like that. Guys are really helpful.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 03-05-2017, 10:29 AM
Guru

Thanks Crex.....my town (or anything close has a special bearing shop) however when my father was alive after he retired from GM he started working for a place that does well it started as landscaping but then evolved into selling all sorts of equipment and repairing equipment and stuff like that. I used to hang there with my father a lot when I was younger. And I should have thought about this right away but they have all sorts of different bearings in almost every size so I am going to check them tomorrow morning if not there is also a skate shop to ill check there to cause I think damon is right that they are the same as a skate bearing....neither are open today and the skate shop is further away than the other place so ill check both in the morning...If I really have to ill order them and just get as quick shipping as possible......

CREX- thanks for the tip on replacing both I was going to buy a couple but only put one it but ill just do both. When you say make sure the seat is not wallowed out.....what am I looking for....I know next to nothing about these bearings.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:39 AM

Made a guess on your setup. If your small wheel sits on the end of a yoke, check where the bearings rest in the yoke. A lot of the yokes are made of aluminum and can wear enough to wallow out just a bit if the bearing starts to go out. An uneven or loose seating can cause premature failing.
If the wheel/bearing assemble slides onto a shaft, then check to make sure the shaft is not worn or bent just slightly, can also cause premature failure and/or bad tracking problems.
If all looks good, make first couple of runs with a new fine grit belt and let some steel or wood just rest against the belt. You should be able to feel any hopping or vibration...if none you're good to go. If there is some, find and correct before ruining the new bearings/wheel.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 03-06-2017, 11:24 AM
Guru

Thanks Crex, I spent the morning looking for these bearings couldn't find them, the only skate shop near me isn't open until 3pm IF I have to I will drive all the way over there again but I might just order them and get 1 or 2 day shipping

Tags
art, assemble, bearing, belt, buy, grinder, hardware, home, made, make, ore, sell, shop, small, steel, store, web, wood