MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 01-11-2006, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
My first attempts on real knives!!.....

But it ain't too much.....nor is it something to stop the presses, but I did finally get the nerve to attempt some mild engraving on two knives that are headed to the ABS Reno show next week. I decided that I should start out plain and simple...and go from there.

This Bowie I did a little more than I thought I would, and Lord knows I need a lot more practice, but I was tickeld pink when I was able to get the wheat leaves around the spacer without driving the graver "knee deep" into the work.......

I'm not sure the bluing after engraving was such a great idea.....my origonal intent was to blue it, then engrave it so the engraving would jump out....got cold feet though.

You can see the rest of the knives that are headed for Reno here

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 01-11-2006, 12:52 AM
Steel Addict

You pulled it off Ed, Looks great! When I get rich I want to buy some engraving tools and start my 10 years of practise.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:07 AM
Skilled

Way to go Ed! Looks great and the stippling on the handle realy sets it off. And that is a fine batch you are taking to Reno.

Bob
Old 01-11-2006, 06:49 AM
Guru

Those look Great Ed! And I like the blueing too. It makes for a more subtle look to the wheat leaves to me. And I REALLY love that Damascus! Good Luck at Reno!

KempKnives.com
Old 01-11-2006, 07:59 AM

Ed - It looks good for your first attempt on a real nice knife. I know it can be a nervous time when you work on something you either, don't want to destroy, or can't destroy. I'll try to break away from the FEGA show to take in the ABS show so I can see this first hand.
Mike
Old 01-11-2006, 08:21 AM
Steel Addict

Great job!

Looks better blued, i would think. The white cuts on that particular knife might look a bit gaudy..

Keep it up!

Tom
Old 01-11-2006, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks fellas for you kind words. I'm gona be going to another engraving class with Darren Reeves next month, so hopefully he can impart some more knowledge to me.

Mike,

I'd love to meet you! If you make upstairs to the show, please stop by my table and introduce yourself! If things slow down enough I'll certainly be downstairs visiting the FEGA show.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 01-11-2006, 02:29 PM
Steel Addict

Engraving through the blue.

Hello Ed.
Great looking knives and a fine job on the engraving, thank you for showing them.
Just a word of caution.
I'm sure you know the dangers of engraving through the blue.
It looks great at first, but you have to worry about rust setting up in the exposed steel of the cuts. This is something usually done on some "at the show", hurry up jobs on blued guns, often someones initals.
Among concerned gun engravers it is generally considered a no-no, at least on firearms. And I would be just as concerned about fine knives.
With the handeling and acid from folks hands there is too much risk of rust setting up in the cuts. This is almost impossible to correct without a complete recut.
Some people have used a spray coating to try to prevent rusting but I tend to think it spoils the sharp look of the cuts and wears through where the edge of the cuts meets the surface of the metal.
Just my thoughts, but I'm glad you decided against it.
I will be set up downstairs in the Reno FEGA next week, hope to meet you there and see some of your fine work.
John Barraclough.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

John, that is something that I hadn't thought about! And a darn good reason for not engraving through the bluing.....now I'm feeling a bit better about not going with my inital plan. Thanks for that input.....very valuable!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

Tags
blade, knife, knives