MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:50 PM
Steel Addict

don't really have to reinvent...

Hey Guys,
I have to admit i really like the Nessmuk and the old Green River designs the best. I think these tactical ( and i use that term lightly, like assault rifle. What's with that? ) blades are getting away from basics (some not all). I can see paying a good dollar amount for a well made knife with good steel ect.. But some of these knives have gotten silly both looking and pricing.
Clay
Old 01-27-2013, 08:39 PM

I agree wholeheartedly. But in the modern world, style usually trumps substance.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:59 PM
Steel Addict

Yes, that is a true statement. And maybe sometimes when people get more educated about a product they won't fall into corporations trickery. I'll be the first one to tell ya that i have bought some junk in the past. We are fortunate that we have some gracious SME'S ( subject matter expert's) here to school us. I always was told when i was young to listen to my elders, and i did. But now that i am one, i've see where my dad was coming from. God gave us 2 ears and one mouth for a reason.
Clay
Old 01-27-2013, 09:51 PM
Hall of Famer

It 's really not new. It's happened before with the bowie knives that men had to have after the Texas War of Independence and through the Civil War. Many of them were not useful for much of anyting. They were too large and the guards go in the way to be used as a camp knife and too blade heavy to be good fighting knives and probably nothing like what James Bowie had on him when the duel he was witnessing on the sand bar outside of Natchez broke down into a knock down drag out fight. They quickly were discarded by men on both sides of the Civil War when the marchers got tired of it slapping their leg with every other step. Before that there was the cinquedea which was worn as a fashion statement and as a sign that the wearer was a gentleman entitled to bare arms. Many were so ornate they were more jewelry than a side arm.

A lot of these tactical knives or just short of comic and designed for the wannabees to fantasize about proving their manhood with one.

Doug

Doug

Old 01-27-2013, 10:37 PM
Steel Addict

Thumbs up

Well said Doug. Kinda funny. Your in some deep poop if it comes down to a knife fight. It has to be "violence of action" preferably from you first & quickly.When i was in the Army (9 years, active duty) i carried a ka-bar, sheath was held together with green duct tape. Easy to sharpen, simple design and and it could cover many tasks. Still have it. Hey Doug have a good week.
Clay
P.S. i have been looking at that Kabar in D2 really hard. Anybody have one that they could share with us. .
Old 01-28-2013, 06:35 AM

What???? you guys don't all have Zombie Killers hanging by the door?
I see 'em and shake my head at the waste of good (most the time) metal.
Inspite of all of that, the market is the market.
Doug is pretty right.....the ditches between Atlanta and Dalton were littered (so I'm told) with the big Confederate D Guard Bowies (see pic). However, they do sell very well here and abroad to reenactors and collectors, so I try not to knock them too much.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Last edited by Crex; 02-18-2023 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:55 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
Well said Doug. Kinda funny. Your in some deep poop if it comes down to a knife fight. It has to be "violence of action" preferably from you first & quickly.When i was in the Army (9 years, active duty) i carried a ka-bar, sheath was held together with green duct tape. Easy to sharpen, simple design and and it could cover many tasks. Still have it. Hey Doug have a good week.
Clay
P.S. i have been looking at that Kabar in D2 really hard. Anybody have one that they could share with us. .

Clay, I still have my Kabar as well. (Army, 8 years) Bosnia, Kuwait, and all points of the compass. Still using it today, replaced the sheath, but thats it.

The most work it does these days is helping me make longbows.

Still one of the best blade designs out there, imho.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:05 PM
Steel Addict

Awesome my friend Cthulhu, my compass(and nose) pointed south. Somehow ya just never lose equipment. Now i can't find my glasses. That's why i have 3 pairs. lol
Old 01-30-2013, 12:39 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
Awesome my friend Cthulhu, my compass(and nose) pointed south. Somehow ya just never lose equipment. Now i can't find my glasses. That's why i have 3 pairs. lol
Check the top of your head. Thats where I usually find mine, much to my childrens entertainment.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:53 PM
Steel Addict

lol. Good thing i don't wear hats.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:59 AM
Skilled

As an EMT/firefighter during the eighties, the bloodiest call I ever went to was on two old guys fighting with common butcher knives in a house. The home owner caught a burglar trying to sneak a tv out through the kitchen. Both grabbed butcher knives from the counter and fought it out in two rooms of the house. The home owner left by ambulance, and the burglar was air-vaced in critical condition. The entire house had a strong iron smell from all the blood, and we had to walk through carefully to stay on our feet. Even the ceilings were splattered. A simple knife can do a lot of damage. A gun would have simplified the incident, but the home owner was unable to get to his.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:43 PM
Steel Addict

Thumbs up

WBE,I'm glad you wrote this because as we know the government is going after knives in certain states just like guns. And from what i understand kitchen knives are involved in most knife incidents. I work in an area where there are prohibited items you can't bring in. But it's OK to bring in a butcher knife to carve a turkey ( if we are having a group feed) ect. But you can't have a pocket/any blade over 4". Just dumb.
By the way it takes a certain person to be an EMT/Firefighter and i thank you. For what you guy/gals do i think you are severely underpaid. An EMT saved my Moms life because she knew that my mom was bleeding out inside because of a ruptured artery and when they got to the hospital they knew what to do right away.
Clay

Tags
awesome, bee, blade, bowie, camp knife, civil war, design, easy, green river, guard, guards, home, iron, knife, knives, made, nessmuk, sand, sheath, simple, steel, tactical